Forum upgrade in progress! ×

New Tefal 70 liter table top oven, not getting to temperature

Kenny202

Anyone have one of these? First batch of things I did in there 180 deg C seemed to take double the time to cook. I got a good USA made oven thermometer and have done some testing and thermostat way off. Not expecting this thing to be super accurate but Thermo set on 200 degrees it struggling to get to 150 per the oven thermometer. I double checked the oven thermometer using a second one I have and getting the same readings. Anyone have one of these ovens or the same issues?  

Last little cheap 42 Liter one I had would run rings around this thing.

If you wind up the thermostat can it make it to 200? If so just apply a "calibration factor" to the thermostat dial.

If not, check your supply voltage, it doesn't take a lot of reduction to kill the heat (it's a square law vs voltage).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

If you wind up the thermostat can it make it to 200? If so just apply a "calibration factor" to the thermostat dial.

If not, check your supply voltage, it doesn't take a lot of reduction to kill the heat (it's a square law vs voltage).

Does the thermostat in one of these things simply turn the element  full on or off until the temperature is reached, as it does on a normal, non-inverter air-con unit?

Just asking, not questioning your answer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Does the thermostat in one of these things simply turn the element  full on or off until the temperature is reached, as it does on a normal, non-inverter air-con unit?

Just asking, not questioning your answer.

Yeah, I'm 99% sure it's a simple on-off device, the indicator light may (or may not) go on/off with the heating element.

Even if it's "smart" it should run the element at the maximum available power until the space is to temperature.

It's when the maximum available power is not sufficient to cover the losses due to low voltage that the oven can't make temperature.

Just now, Crossy said:

Yeah, I'm 99% sure it's a simple on-off device, the indicator light may (or may not) go on/off with the heating element.

Thanks, it's like that on my Zanussi, the light goes out when temp is reached, as does the speed of my lekky meter!

• Haha 1

I have recently checked our power supply for other reasons and been pretty constant 215-220V+. We're in the city

The elements glow full red when heating so I can't really see low voltage being a problem. I'd say it's just a poorly calibrated thermostat. And nothing smart about it. Standard 2200 watt oven, manual knob style thermostat. I also had a little Zanussi and it was a cracker. Up to temp very quickly too but at 42L was a lot smaller. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem. Will either take to a service centre and have them fix it or allow for the 40-50 degrees its under temp on the thermo