Thai driver licence application with expired UK licence.

Tubby

If it were me I'd first go to your DLT and ask saying you don't want go back UK to renew DL can I have Thai DL,  TiT you never know. 

If not go DVL UK website and see how to renew your UK DL on-line. 

Failing all take the Thai DL test. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tubby said:

Wife and I have UK licences which expired a few years ago. Would this still be accepted when applying for a Thai licence? or should we try renew in the UK somehow and then apply?

LTDs in Thailand will not accept years-expired Thai licences for renewal without the theory and practical tests so the chances of them accepting years-expired, i.e. invalid, UK licences to obtain a Thai licence is zero.  

Best to renew online if you are still UK residents, which is a requirement.  If it is over two years since your UK driving licence expired, you could face an order to retake your driving test.

• Like 2

As said if you have a UK addresses with maybe someone willing to do the sending on, and in the required time, OR go to a driving school depending where you are ,  almost guaranteed to pass ,duel control cars, able to do any part of the test that you may fail, over and over until you pass some even take you out onto a proper road, take care medical, take care getting your licence from govt. the one my wife used in Chanthaburi even showed us a cheap hotel near by, 20hrs all up 5,500B + med and licence fee

4 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

They don't care about your license from your home country.  They want to see your international drivers license. Other wise plan on taking all the test. 

...and to get your international driving license you need.......???

• Like 1

They don't care about your license from your home country.  They want to see your international drivers license. Other wise plan on taking all the test. 

This is totally untrue and false info, when applying for a Thai driving licence, that is exactly what they want to see. Only want to see Inter. licence if at a road check, or similar. if you do not have a Thai licence.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

It's a permit not a license and they only want to see that if your actual license is not in English.  In any case all you'll have with an expired UK license is an expired IDP.

• Like 2