Remote position while in Thailand.

Is anyone aware of the correct visa type that would allow me to work remotely for company that does not have facilities in Thailand while living in Thailand? I would not qualify under the SMART VISA program and an unable to determine which visa would allow to work. Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

18 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

There are many people who work online in Thailand creating videos for YouTube, effectively publicly announcing exactly what they are doing. I don't think any of them have had any issues about working without a work permit.

Not disagreeing however in my post above I stated "do your work privately"

If the OP had posted that he was going to do blogs throughout Thailand for eg YouTube then  I wouldn't be staying he has zero issues. However there are many doing exactly what you suggest. Couple of well know bar owners in Pattaya do exactly that. Blogs about situations for businesses in Pattaya. In particular bars restaurants etc

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

There are many people who work online in Thailand creating videos for YouTube, effectively publicly announcing exactly what they are doing. I don't think any of them have had any issues about working without a work permit.

Which is actually crazy considering how much money the government looses out on. It also wouldn't surprise me if those people get in trouble as soon as the government has their eyes on them. See Richard Burrow who gets house visits from immigration regularly to 'check if everything is in order'.

@he was a quiet man There were some news about including freelancers in the smart visa scheme last December which would make it quite easy for freelancers to stay in Thailand given they have proof that they have a sustainable income. Haven't heard anything anymore since though so I guess only time will show. It's definitely something they are missing out on, especially now when they could attract high spenders quite easily.

Edited by thanaka
  • Like 2

There's one British guy on YouTube, a bald-headed guy about 30 years old who literally tells everyone about how much he earns online, how easy it is, and how cheap it is for him to live in Thailand. He also lays out quite precise advice to viewers about how they can travel to Thailand and do the same thing. It's quite frankly amazing that he hasn't had a knock at the door yet. I guess the police or immigration are just very behind the curve, or are willing to turn a blind eye.

6 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

There's one British guy on YouTube, a bald-headed guy about 30 years old who literally tells everyone about how much he earns online, how easy it is, and how cheap it is for him to live in Thailand. He also lays out quite precise advice to viewers about how they can travel to Thailand and do the same thing. It's quite frankly amazing that he hasn't had a knock at the door yet. I guess the police or immigration are just very behind the curve, or are willing to turn a blind eye.

Link please ...?

There is currently no correct visa type available for working remotely from Thailand. However, it is possible for one to legitimize their remote work with a local organisation who employs them locally and contracts with their employer as a client, naturally taking care of the visa and work permit as well. However, this kind of option is mainly available for employees working in tech and more difficult for other industries. Which field do you work in, if I may ask? 

• Like 2