Asian Airlines Take Wifi To The Sky

george

Asian airlines take WiFi to the sky

ASIAN travellers who cannot stand being separated from email or the internet will soon be able to access both from their seats when top regional airlines offer high-speed wireless connectivity on long-haul flights.

Over the next six months, Singapore Airlines, All Nippon Airways and Japan Airlines plan to roll out airborne internet services by teaming up with Connexion by Boeing, an information services unit of US aircraft builder Boeing.

China Airlines and Korean Air are expected to follow suit.

"We expect the services to be popular particularly among businessmen who have long requested such in-flight services," a spokesman for Japan Airlines said in Tokyo.

First implemented by Germany's Lufthansa last month, Connexion by Boeing allows passengers to access the internet on wireless-ready laptops at speeds comparable to those at home or in the office. Airlines will also have the option to offer wired connections using ethernet cables.

The system is fully compatible with planes made by Airbus, Boeing's fierce European rival.

The service, made possible by a global network of satellites, ground stations and special antennas fitted to the aircraft, was in fact inaugurated on a Lufthansa Airbus A340-300 flying from Munich to Los Angeles on May 17.

It will cost passengers as little as $US7.95 ($11.50) for 30 minutes. For customers who want to use the service for the entire flight, there is a fixed rate depending on whether the service is short-, medium- or long-haul.

The maximum price is $US29.95 for flights of more than six hours.

"How much is it worth to get the right information for a contract?" David Friedman, vice president for marketing and direct sales of Connexion by Boeing, said during last week's CommunicAsia 2004 trade fair in Singapore.

"How much is it worth to say good night to your kids?"

Secure corporate network communications will be available, while individuals can opt to be billed by their telephone or internet service providers back home if the firms have arrangements with Connexion by Boeing.

The most promising markets in Asia are Singapore, Japan, South Korea , China, Malaysia and Thailand, Friedman said.

"This is not only for the people in First Class," he stressed, saying passengers might simply want to pursue personal interests like sport

"If I'm in flight for 10 to 12 hours, you're talking about 100 to 150 emails," he said, adding that having access to email "reduces e-stress, the stress of email pile-up".

Company spokesmen said Singapore Airlines planned to launch the service in the third quarter this year.

All Nippon Airways also plans to launch it in the northern autumn, while Japan Airlines will start it in December on flights between Narita and London, eventually offering it on flights to the United States.

Korean Air said it would start operating it in early 2005 on its 33 long-haul Boeing 747-400s and 777-200ERs.

Mr Friedman said revenue from access charges would be split with airlines, which will pay a service charge to have the equipment installed. Business jets and ocean-going vessels can also use Connexion.

In addition to getting a cut of the revenue, airlines would realise that internet access would be seen by passengers as an essential service, he said. Some might even switch carriers on the basis of connectivity.

--AFP 2004-06-21

wow! we don't have wifi for common use on the ground yet we have it on the air. i would love to have wifi at my house

WiFi cards for laptops and desktops are commonly available in Bangkok.

What we REALLY lack is a decent broadband internet connection at affordable price.

I'm currently working a contract in California. I get 4 Mbps downstream via cable modem for about 1,600 THB/month (USD 40). It is screaming fast! Nothing like anything I've seen, heard of or fantasized about in LOS.

Cheers