Ralph Fiennes 'can't understand vitriol' towards JK Rowling

snoop1130

_117619956_reutersfinnes-1.jpg

Ralph Fiennes played Voldemort in the Harry Potter films / REUTERS

UK actor Ralph Fiennes has said he "can't understand the vitriol directed at" JK Rowling regarding comments she made about transgender people.

The Harry Potter author was criticised last summer by stars including Daniel Radcliffe for taking issue online with the phrase "people who menstruate".

Fiennes, who played Voldemort in the franchise, told the Telegraph: "I can understand the heat of an argument.

Full Story: https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56444655

bbc.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2021-03-19

I cannot understand it either. But, I am the least PC guy you will encounter. It is not a lack of respect. I have plenty of that. It is all about the cancel culture, and the extreme weakness that PC creates within a culture. I just will not have anything to do with any of that. I think it represents alot of what is wrong with contemporary culture, and especially America today. It is a major form of weakness, when you allow yourself to be easily offended, and take everything personally. Granted, there are things that can be perceived as offensive, but allowing yourself to be offended by tiny little things people say and do is a bit much! But, the people who are offended daily, by things others say, are just weak, and would benefit by growing thicker skin. Life can be rough and caustic at times, and for those of us who have grown thick skin, it is like water off a ducks back. No big deal, at all. Think what you want to think. It just does not mean anything to those with self esteem, and a sense of who and what they are. Granted, these are just my opinions, and some will take offense to them. LOL. 

I remember once I referred to someone as being gay. They were very offended. I am not gay. I am non-binary. OK. How would I know that, and how can you be offended, due to me not knowing that? How is that my issue, on any level? I told him, her, who knows, to grow some thicker skin. I am a very open minded person. I have alot of gay friends, and they are all comfortable being called gay. The notion that political correctness has “gone mad” is familiar to anyone who follows even vaguely any aspect of modern political or cultural life. The phrase, ostensibly referring to language or action that is designed to avoid offence or harm to protected groups, has become a sharp criticism. It is synonymous with a sort of cultural McCarthyism, usually committed by the left.

A funny example. I have alot of black friends. One of them is quite PC. He refers to himself as African American. I told him none of my black friends use that term. He scoffed. I asked him, how many times have you been to Africa? How many African languages do you speak? Where were your people from, exactly? How about the cuisine? How many African dance styles are you familiar with? How often do you listen to African music? Who are your top ten African musicians? Although he likes funky music, it turns out I as a white man, am far more familiar with African music than he is. 

My family emigrated from Russia over a century ago, to the US. Do I call myself Russian American? No. Why? There is nothing Russian about me, other than some relatively hidden DNA. 

I love what Clint Eastwood has to say on this topic. When asked about Dirty Harry he said: “It was far-out at that time, so I brought it to [director] Don [Siegel], and he liked it,” Eastwood recalled Sunday during a visit to the Cannes Film Festival. “A lot of people thought it was politically incorrect. That was at the beginning of the era that we’re in now with political correctness. We are killing ourselves, we’ve lost our sense of humor. But I thought it was interesting and it was daring.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/clint-eastwood-decries-pc-culture-cannes-weve-lost-sense-humor-1005933

In another interview, he elaborates further: “I’m never cautious about what I say because, you know, I’ve been around a long time, what can they do? The political correctness era that we’re in is really not doing anyone any good. It’s taking everyone and weakening society. It doesn’t seem that people have to take themselves so serious,” Eastwood said. “It seems like, I’m just lucky that I grew up in an era where we all lived in an area where everybody joked about everything. Nothing was politically incorrect because everything was always a joke with a sense of humour. People sometimes are losing that and taking themselves and everyone else seriously. I think they’re missing a lot and not enjoying the differences that we all have.”

https://theplaylist.net/clint-eastwood-political-correctness-20180208/

Few could have said it better. And I am in total agreement with all of it. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

IMO Rowling deserves a bit of stick for the "Beasts" franchise that she created post Potter. Waste of my time and money going to see them ( I know, I know, I should have stopped after the first, but one could only hope they would get better-  sadly that didn't happen, IMO ).

She's not the first to carry on past use by date and won't be the last- Willis is a prime example of a star that lost the plot.

However, some do just get better and better. Eastwood is a classic example of that. His more recent movies are excellent.

Perhaps Rowing should have stuck with the Potter franchise- endless possibilities for spin off series.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 11:01 AM, spidermike007 said:

My family emigrated from Russia over a century ago, to the US. Do I call myself Russian American? No. Why? There is nothing Russian about me, other than some relatively hidden DNA. 

The correct answer would be you gain no advantage by claiming Russian ancestry.

Claims to being Black or Native American is worth $$$$$$$s.

Edited by BritManToo

I cannot understand it either.

What? The vitriol aimed at rowling? Her bone-headed comment(s)?

Have you even tried to understand? My guess would be "no".

I have alot of black friends.

The classic. 

I am not gay.

How is that even germane to the subject.

I gave up on this unabomber-style manifesto when you got to the old racist faht who speaks to chairs.

• Sad 2