Renewing driving licence

Back in December I was at the transport office in Pattaya and asked about getting an appointment for renewing my DL.

It is due in August but I wanted to be ready.

I was told that farangs did NOT need to make an appointment.

Talking to friends since then, they have said it has changed and now we have to make appointment.

Can someone tell me which is correct and if I have to make appointment, how soon can I do this?

I don't know about Pattaya, but no appointments are necessary at the DLT, Chatuchak, Bangkok.

Just make sure you get there early (7am). It's limited to 50 foreigners per day.

I renewed my license in February this year.

Edited by jaiyenyen

PHUKET:
u first go in with ur current license, copy ur passport , copy of visa, cor from immigration and a medical (100 baht one)
ur then given an appt, mine was 16 days after i first went in.

Went in last Friday at 8 am, color test, brake test, 1 hour video, wait, take photo an out by 10:20 with my 5th 5 year ( 6 years this time) dl

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, monsieurhappy said:

Thanks for your replies, I hope things don't change again before my DL is due!!

I did the test yesterday at Pattaya. As another poster advised, an appointment is currently requited. Also, I believe, you can renew your licence from 3 months prior to the expiry date - and up to one year beyond the expiry date.

35 minutes ago, dabhand said:

I did the test yesterday at Pattaya. As another poster advised, an appointment is currently requited. Also, I believe, you can renew your licence from 3 months prior to the expiry date - and up to one year beyond the expiry date.

you'd be a fool to renew early as renew AFTER it expires u get an extra year

• Sad 1

Just now, zzzzz said:

Or travelling away from Thailand just prior to the expiry date and uncertain about date of return and unwilling to chance needing to go through the additional renewal hurdles if renewing beyond the one year limit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zzzzz said:

I've heard somewhere (possibly on this forum) that if you go to renew soon after your birthday/ expiry of current licence, that they are now making you do all the full tests again. They are aware that people are abusing the system to get almost 6 year validity.

Yes very foolish to drive with an expired drivers license, therefore no insurance in case of an accident.

A few hours every 5 years - who has time !

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 8:30 AM, jaiyenyen said:

I don't know about Pattaya, but no appointments are necessary at the DLT, Chatuchak, Bangkok.

Just make sure you get there early (7am). It's limited to 50 foreigners per day.

I renewed my license in February this year.

you need an appointment at Pattaya DLT

you'd be a bigger fool driving on an expired licence. Try explaining that to the cops and your insurance company if you had an accident.  The one thing we know about both cops and insurers, is that cops will go to any lengths to get you and insurers will use any excuse to not pay out. 

17 minutes ago, thoengthaied said:

I've heard somewhere (possibly on this forum) that if you go to renew soon after your birthday/ expiry of current licence, that they are now making you do all the full tests again. They are aware that people are abusing the system to get almost 6 year validity.

just did mine last friday, 4 days after my birthday  6 years.

this is my 3rd 6 year license

brake, color test ONLY, watch video

UP to you

On 3/24/2021 at 9:21 AM, thoengthaied said:

I've heard somewhere (possibly on this forum) that if you go to renew soon after your birthday/ expiry of current licence, that they are now making you do all the full tests again.

Not one reliable source for that. Fake news until proved otherwise.

Following their own set rules is not abuse.

And one of their rules is that you can renew up to one year after expiry without any additional effort.

The "birthday rule" also applies for Thai persons ID card.

8 years nominal validity, up to 9 years if renewed a day after expiry.

The daughter wasn't aware, had to advise her :>)

(also applies to foreigners "pink card")

If they want to avoid "abuse" they have to change the rules and simply do "5 years from now".

Edited by KhunBENQ