Gun Laws In Thailand

Khaoyaiman

I have a legal question regarding the ownership or use of a firearm in Thailand. I've heard it's illegal for any falang to own a firearm in Thailand. I'm not sure if this is true or not and will appreciate some advice.

The main question I have is this - if a Thai wife was to have a legally owned gun in the house and one or more theives were to break into her house and threaten her or her family's lives in some way, would it be legal for the falang husband to use her gun to protect his Thai family?

True unless you're a farang Thai citizen or permanent resident.

And yes, that would be illegal, but it's not really black and white in those cases. This isn't legal advice but as you may have noticed, the local justice system uses an awful lot of discretion as to what is right and wrong. For instance you'd probably get into trouble for using your wife's gun in "self defense" if you got into a fight in public while out with her (even if the other guy whipped out a knife) but NOT get in trouble for using a gun against the same guy if he broke into your home and was threatening you with the same knife. That's all opinion and not legal advice. I've been told by police friends that if I had to shoot an intruder, just to arm him with a knife from the kitchen after the fact (not in his hand but not far from it as if he had just fallen down with it in his hand)... and that if the intruder wasn't a family member, that the police likely wouldn't even fingerprint the knife. Then call the police.

:o

I have a legal question regarding the ownership or use of a firearm in Thailand. I've heard it's illegal for any falang to own a firearm in Thailand. I'm not sure if this is true or not and will appreciate some advice.

The main question I have is this - if a Thai wife was to have a legally owned gun in the house and one or more theives were to break into her house and threaten her or her family's lives in some way, would it be legal for the falang husband to use her gun to protect his Thai family?

As an alternative, you can get some really good hunting crossbows at the sports store in Siam Paragon.

Farang meaning - non-Thai Citizen - the answer is broadly - no, you can't get (broadly no because I'll clarify in a moment) i.e. nothing to do with skin colour - all to do with been a Thai citizen.

Can you shoot in your own house? - sure, it's pretty much a universaly accepted principal - one can adopt whatever means one wishes to defend themselves and or their family against a threat - in proportion to that threat. I don't think any Thai court would prosecute you for killing an intruder with ANY weapon if you felt your life or that of or children or wife were at risk.

Firearms license - are handled at a local level, I know of at least 2 instances (and I'm sure there are more) of non-citizen residents been given firearm licenses. One is a Taiwanese clothing factory manager on the Thai Cambodian border - who has been robbed more times than he care to remember. He was given an exemption. And I know of another example of an American permanent resident in Bangkok who has an exemption to carry a concealed firearm - (he is not a diplomat or retired diplomat) he works closely with local law enforcement and recieves threats on an occassional basis.

In summary while the rule is no - there are exceptions

MF

If you are worried about B&E, breaking & entering, secure your house with good fencing, window bars & steel doors. It would not be worth the trouble for a thief to break in my house. Of course you can do it the Thai way and get several ferocious dogs.

If you are worried about B&E, breaking & entering, secure your house with good fencing, window bars & steel doors. It would not be worth the trouble for a thief to break in my house. Of course you can do it the Thai way and get several ferocious dogs.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

I live in an estate of approx 80 houses and it has a 20+ ft wall all around, but it doesn't stop the keen thief from using a hook and rope to climb up. We have 15 security guards that work in shifts, along with security cameras on every soi. Every house has been asked to leave some outside lights on at night so the guards can see better. We still get the occassional thief.

As for dogs, yes I agree they are also a deterrent but as I'm out of town a lot I don't want to get one.

I do have a security system and clearly mark on the windows that we have one installed, but again it's not full proof and could easily be breached by a small time thief.

Well, I am considering continuing my IPSC in Thailand.

So more information might help on how to apply for a legal conceal carry licence or to own a weapon, even if the weapon has to be stored at the gun club.

I would like some more info about this one also.

I was competing at a national level before and I might, if time allows it, take up it up atleast partly again - assuming it is at all possible legaly.

I was competing at a national level before and I might, if time allows it, take up it up atleast partly again - assuming it is at all possible legaly.

I understand that Thailand has certain groups of folks doing IPSC.

But the clubs are populated by tourist or farangs.

The only gun club I've managed to check online at Phuket, was really really expensive. So I am kinda deterred by the price.

Its kinda exclusive to farangs too. :o

True unless you're a farang Thai citizen or permanent resident.

And yes, that would be illegal, but it's not really black and white in those cases. This isn't legal advice but as you may have noticed, the local justice system uses an awful lot of discretion as to what is right and wrong. For instance you'd probably get into trouble for using your wife's gun in "self defense" if you got into a fight in public while out with her (even if the other guy whipped out a knife) but NOT get in trouble for using a gun against the same guy if he broke into your home and was threatening you with the same knife. That's all opinion and not legal advice. I've been told by police friends that if I had to shoot an intruder, just to arm him with a knife from the kitchen after the fact (not in his hand but not far from it as if he had just fallen down with it in his hand)... and that if the intruder wasn't a family member, that the police likely wouldn't even fingerprint the knife. Then call the police.

:D

Good post, pretty much what I have been told also, if in the ban, no problem, mind you I now have a bloody vicious dog, so I hope not to find out the truth, but if all goes to the fan, my wife has a fine collection. :o

I've been told by police friends that if I had to shoot an intruder, just to arm him with a knife from the kitchen after the fact (not in his hand but not far from it as if he had just fallen down with it in his hand)... and that if the intruder wasn't a family member, that the police likely wouldn't even fingerprint the knife. Then call the police.

:D

Probably not the best advice to let some of the wacko's out there read & start cooking up ideas. :o

Cheers,

Soundman.