Electrical Gadgets Getting The Better Of Me.

Richb2004v2

Some times it seems everything I touch technology wise screws up and that I am constantly trying to keep things going. In the recent past:

• my i-pod went down, so I bought a new hard rive, which took some doing. It still does not work.

• I bought a temporary replacement mp3 player. After two days use it ceased to work. I can’t take it back because I bought it abroad.

• My wireless head phones base station has stopped working for some reason.

• The DVD/CD drives on both my desktop and laptop have stopped writing to CD. Possibly a simply fault, but I don’t know what.

• My internet connection is terrible with an efficiency of probably 15%.

• My satellite is such a bother I no longer use it.

• I bought a new printer ink cartridge and now the printer hardly prints at all, stopping when I critically need to print a report.

• My PC speaker system seems to have developed an intermittent loud buzzing sound.

All that remains is for my Xbox 360 to get the three red lights of death and that will just about finish me off technically.

I’m not a technophobe or anything, and I can normally sort thing out, but just lately it seems nothing functions for long.

Am I the only one that feels sometimes my electronic gadgets are conspiring against me?

Or maybe the elecricity in your area is so f*cked up that it blows up everything you plug in. It's serious really, their inhability to make shielded grounded house in this country makes me wonder how the <deleted> houses aren't getting on fire more frequently.

• my i-pod went down, so I bought a new hard rive, which took some doing. It still does not work.

I didn't know you could "easily" replace the hardrive inside, let alone find a replacement part for it, i have/had a 2nd gen 10 gigabytes Ipod with the harddrive fubar i just gave up trying to find a harddrive in Thailand..

• I bought a temporary replacement mp3 player. After two days use it ceased to work. I can’t take it back because I bought it abroad.

This is a mystery

This is a mystery

• The DVD/CD drives on both my desktop and laptop have stopped writing to CD. Possibly a simply fault, but I don’t know what.

Maybe try to put some CD/DVD cleaner inside, but i really wouldn't bet on that.

For Internet, nothing wrong on your side sounds like bad phone line (too much noise/interferances on the line) or well your Isp sucks big time in your area.

Hmm you could call the satellite provider for a quick fix ?

• I bought a new printer ink cartridge and now the printer hardly prints at all, stopping when I critically need to print a report.

Hmmm, it's no laughing matter... but i happened a couple of time to buy a brand "new" printer cartridge to find out ... it was defective, i mean it may happen more than we think

• My PC speaker system seems to have developed an intermittent loud buzzing sound.

Could be electricity related

What i guess though is that you seem to be trying to fix everything that doesn't work, could be wise to call for some help (i mean calling the competent person to do the job)

Edited by Kyosuken

Or maybe the elecricity in your area is so f*cked up that it blows up everything you plug in. It's serious really, their inhability to make shielded grounded house in this country makes me wonder how the <deleted> houses aren't getting on fire more frequently.

I didn't know you could "easily" replace the hardrive inside, let alone find a replacement part for it, i have/had a 2nd gen 10 gigabytes Ipod with the harddrive fubar i just gave up trying to find a harddrive in Thailand..

This is a mystery

This is a mystery

Maybe try to put some CD/DVD cleaner inside, but i really wouldn't bet on that.

For Internet, nothing wrong on your side sounds like bad phone line (too much noise/interferances on the line) or well your Isp sucks big time in your area.

Hmm you could call the satellite provider for a quick fix ?

Hmmm, it's no laughing matter... but i happened a couple of time to buy a brand "new" printer cartridge to find out ... it was defective, i mean it may happen more than we think

Could be electricity related

What i guess though is that you seem to be trying to fix everything that doesn't work, could be wise to call for some help (i mean calling the competent person to do the job)

i lost about 250k worth of eletronics a few years back. turns out the power coming ito my house could get as high as 260V. I lost a 2000USD dj mixer the first time i plugged it in. I never got it working again.

I commiserate.

I am constantly losing stuff.. All is behind both very expensive german made high voltage cut outs AND UPS's (most UPS's have limited surge protection)..

7500 USD worth set of speakers.. Blown cones (or crossover, not stripped them to test yet).. Expensive Onkyo reciever now some functions int he amp are screwey.. Fried curcuits.. Countless motherboards, hard discs, mem cards..

The landlord has replaced the electric gate system twice, the washing machine twice.. I lose 2 - 3 halogen bulbs per week literally buying 10x packs monthly..

I have a fairly pricy (over 12k list when I got it) projection setup and probably >20k USD in home theater gear.. Its a constant concern.. The power cuts every month.. The transformers pop somewhere on my road every few months.. Thais just cant keep a system working properly, same with phone lines..

Wow.....and I thought I had problems. While on a short 2 day trip, every battery I owned (car, cell phone, laptop computer, watch, flashlights) all died.

I now feel blessed my TV and fridge still work. :o

waldwolf

My home Desktop has been fried at least 4-5 times, somthing different every time. Mother board, cdrom, power supply, HD ect.

It's totally new now with every component replaced except for the case.

Maybe i should have that blessed??? maybe it's cursed? it's in the shop again now.

Wow! My problems are nothing compared to those listed here. My problems are all annoying rather than costly.

I never really considered the power supply, but it would explain a lot. The MP3 that stopped after a days use did so whilst it was on charge at a socket. I guess my CD drive could be due to power supply. My LAN card went down mysteriously recently too. My speaker problem could possibly be power related.

Another thing power related could be my exterior long life light bulbs that seem to last a very short time. Also my water pump went down after less than a year. I put these things down to so many products in Thailand being poor standard, but maybe the power plays a role. Some of the spark seen when plugging items in are really worrying.

Its things like this that make me appreciate my home country more. Things are expensive there, but they actually work, all the time.