Bank of England unveils new banknote celebrating WW2 code-breaker Turing

webfact

In case some like to see the movie about , here my Mediafire links , movie English , and if needed for non English a Dutch srt file subtitles , direct download no code needed

https://www.mediafire.com/file/xgdxyh3p6pav0h9/The.Imitation.Game__5b2014__DVDRIP_MKV-300MB.mkv/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/s7kfjx6fr3cr9e9/The.Imitation.Game__5b2014__DVDRIP_MKV-300MB.srt/file

• Like 2

I believe that just being homosexual was not illegal in England, even before 1967.  What was illegal was doing a homosexual act with another person of the same sex.  That counted as an indecent assault  and was illegal and was what Turing was prosecuted for.

4 hours ago, lungbing said:

I believe that just being homosexual was not illegal in England, even before 1967.  What was illegal was doing a homosexual act with another person of the same sex.  That counted as an indecent assault  and was illegal and was what Turing was prosecuted for.

Not sure whose view you are trying to correct here as the OP had spelled it out in detail: "Turing was convicted of gross indecency in 1952 for having sex with a man ... . Homosexual sex was illegal in Britain until 1967."

When people say that he was prosecuted for being gay, it's sort of like a summary of it all and it shouldn't be taken literally. Unless, you believe that homosexuals shouldn't have the right to live their sexuality, which I hope you don't.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Ironically, most of the population are paying retailers via card contactless transaction and the amount of actual cash exchanged daily must be greatly reduced.

Not for the people that use £50 notes in general...... ????

Just think what this man might have achieved if he had been allowed to live his life. 

Hopefully this honor will be seen and accepted as a positive step in understanding that we are all the same regardless of sexuality.

• Like 2

One of the few men that saved Britain from defeat in WW2. This is long overdue.

The inventor of the Spitfire ( Reginald Mitchell ) was probably also as much responsible for Britain's survival, but I am unaware of any great award given to him, though he apparently has a statue in the science museum. Sadly he died before WW2 so never saw his invention at work in the Battle of Britain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2021 at 4:54 PM, Sujo said:

Good. It is sad how he was treated when alive.

What more .

Could one  expect , from  the British Establishment ..

Stiff, upper lip .    Etc ...