Bangkok’s Hard Rock Cafe closes after 30 years

webfact

4pm.jpg

FILE PHOTO//Credit: Architectkidd

Daily News reported that the Hard Rock Cafe in Siam Square, Bangkok will close temporarily next Wednesday. 

The music venue and restaurant has been in operation since March 1991, 30 full years, the company said on their Facebook page.

Their Rock Shop at the same site will remain open until the end of June.

They said it was only temporary and to stay tuned mentioning that they could be back at a "new site". 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-26

In 1999, I was a brand new professor working at Bangkok University making B24,500 a month. One weekend, I visited the Hard Rock Cafe for a bite to eat. Talk about expensive, a hamburger was B300 something. But the live band was worth the trip and I was impressed by their level of English. A few months later, I went back and a burger now cost B350 and I also learned that the band members were not Thais at all but were from the Philippines. Never did make it back and I wonder what a burger costs now...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, George Bowman said:

In 1999, I was a brand new professor working at Bangkok University making B24,500 a month. One weekend, I visited the Hard Rock Cafe for a bite to eat. Talk about expensive, a hamburger was B300 something. But the live band was worth the trip and I was impressed by their level of English. A few months later, I went back and a burger now cost B350 and I also learned that the band members were not Thais at all but were from the Philippines. Never did make it back and I wonder what a burger costs now...

I remember I also came in 1999 and was earning 28,000 baht a month and was surprised at the 350 Baht price tag.

Now in 2021 I am earning a little more (30,000 Baht), but the burgers cost double what they cost then. I haven't been there myself, but my friend said 600 Baht.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, petedk said:

Now in 2021 I am earning a little more (30,000 Baht), but the burgers cost double what they cost then. I haven't been there myself, but my friend said 600 Baht.

Last time I was there a year or two back, their burgers were indeed in the 500-600b range... and not a bad burger, despite the high price.

Fortunately, there's a lot more good, reasonably priced burger choices available in BKK right now than there was when the BKK HRC started out and carried on in the past.

As is not uncommon with those kinds of places, you're paying extra for the brand, the venue, the experience, etc etc.... more than just buying a hamburger.  Up to the buyer as to whether all the add-on stuff is worth the higher price.

5 hours ago, George Bowman said:

I see wages haven’t changed in Isaan 

4 hours ago, petedk said:

I remember I also came in 1999 and was earning 28,000 baht a month and was surprised at the 350 Baht price tag.

Seems like it priced itself off the market.... not enough Thais to keep it going at those prices.

• Like 2

I remember its "opposition" - Planet Hollywood.

It originally operated on the northern side of Ploenchit Rd....   I'm stretching the memory here but possibly where the Intercontinental is now or further towards Central Dept. Store.

Definitely a tourist trap or magnet for the 'trendsetters'.

You'd only go there once!    Hard Rock has outlasted it.

17 hours ago, Crusader said:

Had some great times in there, especially when work colleagues were in town from abroad.  Yes, a bit pricey compared to other places...but the quality was always good.

I just love it when vastly overpriced venues have to shut down, if they do relocate elsewhere, I hope that they will be far less greedy with their prices.