Thai woman driver - aged 72 - drives straight into tutor school after "senior moment"

webfact

7pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A 72 year old Thai woman said that  had some kind of senior moment as she was driving along Soi Tha-It in Nonthaburi yesterday lunchtime.

Mukda couldn't understand it at first as she sat in her Yaris after hitting a Camry and plowing through the front window of One to One Smart Tutor school.

Then it came back to her. 

She had meant to apply the brake but, silly me, she had pressed down on the accelerator instead. 

How lucky that she had Class 1 insurance and no one was hurt, she told the Bang Srimuang police on the scene.

The Camry's rear was damaged and the shop front of the four story building was a mess of broken glass. Tables and chairs inside were smashed.

Camry owner and tutor at the school Prawee, 27, said it was very lucky that neither he nor any children were hurt. 

The kids had just finished their morning lesson and left and he had gone to get lunch before he was fetched following the accident.

Mukda's insurance company were soon there to work on matters.

No charges were mentioned in the Daily News story. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-26

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mancub said:

Watched dumb-struck at the test centre last week, as a 20 something yr old girl failed the brake test twice, as she had to look down at her feet to work it out. 3rd attempt just about passed and started jumping around excitedly clapping herself ! 

Thats good. I went to get my license and a woman in her late 30s was trying to do the brake test failed every time. The queue was getting so long because other people were coming in to do the test. They made here sit down, as I was leaving she was trying again. Probably still there now.. God help all those people she drives behind.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JoePai said:

That’s the problem with cars these days, 2 pedals to chose from, all very confusing

So true. It's better to just choose one and use that one exclusively. 

For Thai drivers I suggest using only the left one and hope there is not a 'brake failure'. If there are three pedals use the far left one in all cases. This simple trick can reduce traffic accidents by orders of magnitude. 

Using the right pedal involves the much higher risk of the much more common 'brain failure'. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mancub said:

Watched dumb-struck at the test centre last week, as a 20 something yr old girl failed the brake test twice, as she had to look down at her feet to work it out. 3rd attempt just about passed and started jumping around excitedly clapping herself ! 

haha i witnessed the same thing a few years back when I had to get my Thai license. I was amazed at people failing this emergency brake test.... there is just something in the Thai genetic makeup that makes them avoid braking at all costs!!!

• Haha 1