Tom & Jerry The Movie review: Interminably odd and unamusing

snoop1130

newFile-7.jpg

Chloë Grace Moretz’s Kayla is given the unenviable task of making likeable a morally despicable hero

(Warner Bros)

Cat chases mouse. Mouse clubs cat with a mallet. It’s a simple formula, but it works.

Tom and Jerry’s cycle of perpetual violence has allowed audiences a consequence-free release for their schadenfreude for 81 years.

And yet the pair are somehow not the protagonists of Tom & Jerry The Movie, an interminably odd and unamusing outing that flails wildly, but never in any particular direction.

Full Story: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/tom-and-jerry-the-movie-review-b1822386.html

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

It's probably been 'woked', thus removing any jokes or scenes about fat people, black people (remember the maid in the original cartoons), thin people, white people, lesbian cats, gay mice, transexual dogs etc etc.  Ain't no fun when you go PC...

Spoken as older white male, yes? The cartoons you reference were made 1940-1958  for mostly white middle class America. American negro did not have voting rights. There were Jim Crow laws and segregation in much of USA. Europeans still had colonies with countries like Portugal doing terrible things to Africans in Mozambique and Angola. France in North Africa. A small number of white people ruled over the  people of land they called Rhodesia. That is the  old period you lament, the period in which stereotypes of Tom & Jerry fit in.  It wasn't innocent fun, but part of a culture that put white males first and everyone else after and a system set up to benefit the white male.

The market for cartoons has changed from the small white America segment to the world which is filled with people of different  race, gender, lifestyle.  America studios make big money in the international market and that is often where the profit  comes from.  It is unlikely racist stereotype will sell well in these markets. Why would you think that black women wish to go watch mammie ridicule? 

And yes I already see trailer when it was released in November 2020. It was boring and poor script. Good animation but that was it. 

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

It's probably been 'woked', thus removing any jokes or scenes about fat people, black people (remember the maid in the original cartoons), thin people, white people, lesbian cats, gay mice, transexual dogs etc etc.  Ain't no fun when you go PC...

If you say so i liked watching the tom and Jerry (this movie) . I dont need those non PC jokes. Plenty of other fun jokes to be made.

8 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

The market for cartoons has changed from the small white America segment to the world which is filled with people of different  race, gender, lifestyle.  America studios make big money in the international market and that is often where the profit  comes from.  It is unlikely racist stereotype will sell well in these markets. Why would you think that black women wish to go watch mammie ridicule? 

There's nothing this Polish-American guy likes better than a good Pollock joke.  Except maybe a Texas Aggie joke, because I granulated from Texas A&M.   Not to mention that I moved to Texas when I was 21, making me a Yankee transplant.  Which brings on even more good jokes here in Texas.

If you can't laugh at yourself and your own culture, how sad.  Even a caricature of yourself.

Edited by impulse

6 hours ago, impulse said:

There's nothing this Polish-American guy likes better than a good Pollock joke.  Except maybe a Texas Aggie joke, because I granulated from Texas A&M.   Not to mention that I moved to Texas when I was 21, making me a Yankee transplant.  Which brings on even more good jokes here in Texas.

If you can't laugh at yourself and your own culture, how sad.  Even a caricature of yourself.

Pollock joke? Is that Jackson Pollock? Or do you mean a Polack joke?

17 hours ago, giddyup said:

Pollock joke? Is that Jackson Pollock? Or do you mean a Polack joke?

Howza bout thiss?  Ennybuddy who deedn't understend mye meening, sennd mee a PM end I'l splain itt two yu.  Reel sloe...

Edited by impulse