Britain nearing vaccine deal with European Union: The Times

rooster59

2021-03-27T020314Z_1_LYNXMPEH2Q00O_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN-VACCINE.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A dose of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine is prepared in a vaccination centre at Newmarket Racecourse, amid the coronavirus disease outbreak in Newmarket, Britain March 26, 2021. REUTERS/Andrew Couldridge

(Reuters) - Britain is close to striking a vaccine deal with the European Union as soon as this weekend that will remove the threat of the bloc cutting off supplies, The Times reported on Saturday.

Under the agreement the EU will remove its threat to ban the export of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines to Britain, it added.

In return, the UK government will agree to forgo some long-term supplies of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine that had been due to be exported from Holland, the newspaper reported.

On Friday, the European Medicines Agency approved Halix production site in the Netherlands that makes the AstraZeneca vaccine and a facility in Marburg in Germany producing BioNTech/Pfizer shots.

The EU's clearing of the vaccine site comes as the union is banking on them to boost deliveries in the second quarter and accelerate the slow pace of inoculations in the bloc.

Europe's troubled vaccine rollout has led to a quarrel with Britain, which has imported 21 million doses made in the EU, according to an EU official. Britain says it did a better job negotiating with manufacturers and arranging supply chains.

The EU says that Britain should share more, notably to help make up the shortfall in contracted deliveries of AstraZeneca shots.

Brussels and London sought to cool tensions on Wednesday, declaring they were working "to create a win-win situation and expand vaccine supply for all our citizens".

The UK government, Pfizer-BioNTech, and AstraZeneca were not immediately available for comment after office hours.

(Reporting by Akriti Sharma and Aakriti Bhalla in Bengaluru; Editing by Shri Navaratnam)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-03-27

• Like 1

2 hours ago, puchooay said:

Does anyone think this might cause irreparable rifts within EU.

I know it's a two way arguement. Remainers on one side and Brexiteers on the other, but surely some of the more powerful nations, bar Germany and France, might start to think about their EU membership.

Note, are there any powerful nations in EU bar Germany and France?

They’ll observe the power of the EU put to use to defend the interests of EU citizens.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wake Up said:

The British history put bureaucracy before life in USA, Ireland, Scotland, India, South Africa .....???? not saying it is correct behavior but have to laugh inside when the Brits claim mistreatment by others. ????

Really in a nut shell you have an answer, you really do need to wake up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

They don't seem to be defending their citizens interests against covid19 that well recently.

No indeed. They screwed up. Badly and I'm extremely miffed as well.

However it was only to be expected with the first major crisis after Ursula von der Leyen was named Commission President.

President of the European Commission is without doubt one of the toughest and complex jobs on this planet. It requires a real polit-profi, like Juncker and his various predecessors. People who grasp what's up, and have the spine to shoot first and ask questions after. And if you don't like it then so be it, they'll be happy to be sacked - especially if they get it wrong. But they'll walk out head up.

What you don't need in that job is a failed middle-manager type like vd Leyen. Whatever qualities she has, she couldn't even run the German defense ministry properly. Couldn't work out priorities or contracts so spent hundreds of millions on 'consultants'. I don't know why she didn't just sit down with her generals. The defense ministry must surely be one of the easiest ministries to manage. 

After she left she tried to blame everyone else. And wiped all her texts and emails.

I said when she was named that it would end in tears and I've been proven right.

There were far better candidates. Weyand springs to mind but there are others. Maybe's a bit early for her.

By the way - UvdL wasn't Merkel's idea. It was Macron's, after the Weber caper collapsed (and rightly so). For that Macron got Christine Lagarde into the top ECB slot. THAT at least was something good to come out of the mess.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Brussels and London sought to cool tensions on Wednesday, declaring they were working "to create a win-win situation and expand vaccine supply for all our citizens".

brexit means essentially one thing, increased bureaucracy, i.e. the exact opposite of what boris claimed

• Like 1

20 hours ago, puchooay said:

Does anyone think this might cause irreparable rifts within EU.

I know it's a two way arguement. Remainers on one side and Brexiteers on the other, but surely some of the more powerful nations, bar Germany and France, might start to think about their EU membership.

Note, are there any powerful nations in EU bar Germany and France?

When the master's dog is left starving at the gate it is a sign that all is not well in the house.

• Confused 1

On 3/27/2021 at 9:22 AM, Kwasaki said:

Really in a nut shell you have an answer, you really do need to wake up.

Yes that opioid war in China by the British is a great example of putting bureaucracy before life.  And the British museum is the biggest storage place of theft from other countries and people in the world.
Love to visit the British museum but stolen treasures are fact not fiction. I am not anti British or anti anyone as all people have done the same since the beginning  of man. But the British history has to be the worst history of man abusing other men by the most arrogant people on the planet so that is the purpose of my comments about how the EU is somehow unfair to the Brits ????????????????. That is really funny. 

Edited by Wake Up
  • Sad 1