A question for the UKers about pension

I have an 86 year old friend that has been here in Thailand for 18 years. He is going back for 7 months and says while he is there he will be getting an increase in his pension. He seems confused about how much he will get. Will he get all the increases that he has lost over the 18 years or just the latest percent increase. Also he seems to believes that when he returns to Thailand and the UK knows this, he will get again what he was receiving before he went. I am not from the UK but told him that I would think they would reduce it, but I would ask on this forum.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

When back in UK he will have his pension increased to yearly amount UK pensioners get now in 2021.

As I understand the ruling last I looked you have to stay in UK for 2 full years until 2023 before you will keep the rises given when coming back to Thailand.

Less than 2 years the UK pension will revert back to what he was receiving before

I guess he was right. Doesn't seem to be a fair system for those living outside the UK, but thanks, I will let him know.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I guess he was right. Doesn't seem to be a fair system for those living outside the UK, but thanks, I will let him know.

Don't tell them you're outside the UK, or tell them you're in the Philippines.

Why does the guy need to come back to Thailand? tell him to move to the Philippines, easier VISA and full pension.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Don't tell them you're outside the UK, or tell them you're in the Philippines.

Why does the guy need to come back to Thailand? tell him to move to the Philippines, easier VISA and full pension.

Where do they send the life form. ????

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

People living  in the uk  don't get life forms (as far as I know).

Yeah thanks I remember now, I  had no address when leaving UK 16 years ago and I wouldn't want any of the family to get into trouble by using there address.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah thanks I remember now, I  had no address when leaving UK 16 years ago and I wouldn't want any of the family to get into trouble by using there address.

need not be family/friends,many a postal service is offered

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I'm ok with frozen pension I planned my future as part of my pensions.

I''ve never been back to UK and don't want to.

I don't want to be dishonest either.

"Honesty" is it?,Ill have to remember that one, thought it was the Green Eyed Monkey,with you especially,what was it this time? aircraft tracking,...yeah right, if you had mentioned an honesty box involvement that might have swayed me lol

From a govt. that would see its past citizens facing starvation,if other govt s did not get involved to help them out (surely, not this one)..people who have paid for the pension to have it stripped from them eventually,Id say who is the honest one?

There seems little appetite to the UK govt to seek out its dishonest old age pensioners,  nor to help them in their hour of need,they could not give a toss,...yes dire consequences dished out like yourself , by other Green Eyed whatevers

Now Brexit has vanquished my intentions of  becoming a Spanish bound Pensioner ,where all of a sudden I become "honest"  again...its pathetic

• Haha 1

It would appear to me that those in receipt of state pension increases whist not entitled to must be ''on the bones of their a..'' financially if they are prepared to go to the lengths that they do to ''hide'' the fact from the DWP.

Best for them to go home, they have no place outside the UK imo. Personally i just was'nt prepared to lie for the sake of a few quid but obviously many are. Poor souls perhaps they should start a gofundme. 

Just sayin like.......???? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2
12 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

It would appear to me that those in receipt of state pension increases whist not entitled to must be ''on the bones of their a..'' financially if they are prepared to go to the lengths that they do to ''hide'' the fact from the DWP.

Best for them to go home, they have no place outside the UK imo. Personally i just was'nt prepared to lie for the sake of a few quid but obviously many are. Poor souls perhaps they should start a gofundme. 

Just sayin like.......???? 

As another poster pointed out recently (to you)  your" <deleted> must be jealous of your mouth with all the sh.ite that comes out of it"

• Haha 1
Just now, izod10 said:

As another poster pointed out recently (to you)  your" <deleted> must be jealous of your mouth with all the sh.ite that comes out of it"

..and as you admit to being "done" for benefit fraud,Id say there was no room here for criminals,better criminal background check for 12 month stay as being arranged

5 hours ago, izod10 said:

"Honesty" is it?,Ill have to remember that one, thought it was the Green Eyed Monkey,with you especially,what was it this time? aircraft tracking,...yeah right, if you had mentioned an honesty box involvement that might have swayed me lol

From a govt. that would see its past citizens facing starvation,if other govt s did not get involved to help them out (surely, not this one)..people who have paid for the pension to have it stripped from them eventually,Id say who is the honest one?

There seems little appetite to the UK govt to seek out its dishonest old age pensioners,  nor to help them in their hour of need,they could not give a toss,...yes dire consequences dished out like yourself , by other Green Eyed whatevers

Now Brexit has vanquished my intentions of  becoming a Spanish bound Pensioner ,where all of a sudden I become "honest"  again...its pathetic

Honest is what I like to be if other want to defraud the UK govt up to them.

As for tracking when I came Thailand I had no intention of going back to UK to claim my UK pension just to get a dribble of rises each year. 

As for green eyed monkeys I am not from Nepal and far from starvation thankyou.

I don't get it you saying UK govt is dishonest I knew my UK pension would be frozen just like my private pensions would be frozen.

As for Brexit I guess you were a remainer so I see where the bitterness comes from, the Samaritans are contactable at the top of the page.

I recently started receiving my UK pension. They have my address in Thailand and know I live here permanently.

However the initial pension notification letter sent to my Thai home has never arrived (sent 3 months ago).

I called them and they gave me the payment start and details etc but I asked if it was possible to have a UK correspondence address as well as my Thai one. No problem they said, so I gave them my brother's address. He has been scanning/forwarding my mail for 10 years so now any letters and life forms will get to me hopefully.

This will not affect my pension as such, it will still be frozen.

My brother is my twin so anything he gets, I should get around the same time.

Fingers crossed.

Finally I find them very helpful on the phone. THey can do all updates while on the call once they verify it's really you but won't action anything you request by mail/email.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't get it you saying UK govt is dishonest I knew my UK pension would be frozen just like my private pensions would be frozen.

I have 2 private pensions, the compainies know I am in Thailand but they still give me a small annual increase.

They will also provide a widows pension and death benefit to my wife when I wai goodbye, which surprised me.

I agree with your honesty stance, it never pays to lie.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

i view it as the uk government trying to defraud me out of a financial product i paid 20 percent of 30 years salary to buy.

if they want to back out of the deal i will happily accept a full NI refund, and give up my government pension and nhs healthcare, about 300,000 pounds should do it.

I happy with my UK pension and what I got,  it was topped up with 2 other payments one thanks to Maggie PM. and two something to to with in and out serps.

45 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I have 2 private pensions, the compainies know I am in Thailand but they still give me a small annual increase.

They will also provide a widows pension and death benefit to my wife when I wai goodbye, which surprised me.

Yeah many types of private pensions were about my type was a cheap top up from Barclays it was linked and only available to my future UK pension time.

The UK govt pension was available to a wife at the time but was done away. 

I pleased for your wife I had to make future arrangements for my wife.

• Like 1
On 4/4/2021 at 10:05 AM, Saltire said:

Amen to this bro,amen

..but in the meantime,I would never have been able to stay in Thailand by being" honest"    income method for visa would have not achieved with frozen pension,but as God states"God helps those who help themselves"..he indeed did help me   ..amen

Now I'm sure you are aware of the rampant increase of GDP,jumps every day,projected to be 47.5 in 5 months time ,or even higher 50 even.  Now IM sure you will agree with me and in a permanent  state of jubilation,worry past ,why just on the 65000 baht each month I'm obliged to fill the bank coffers for visa,I'm suddenly around 2500 quid better off a year,if it goes to 47.5   or even 50,  that's 4 to 5 thousand  quid a year better off from the lows of 36

Now as for leaving money,not exactly to my wife either ,but to the Tarts of Thailand institute or something like,and not leaving it until I die but contributing beforehand

• Like 1