Recording nature

toast1

I would like to make some recordings of nature, what do I need to do this?

I'm looking for reasonably good quality audio, but it doesn't need to be the best.

Can I make a high quality recording on my Android phone with a microphone that'll  fit USB-C, or need a PC or Chromebook?

Can you suggest which microphone to use, what software is best, are the free apps, or built in recording app in Windows sufficient?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by toast1

This is a bit tricky, you might search for a “field recording microphone” - they can be a bit on the expensive side.

A buddy of mine does video game soundtrack, he uses zoom H4n recorders which are about $249, you can buy and H1n for around 3500B.

There are mics that fit on your phone like the rode ix-y for $199 or zoom iq6 for $99.

I have o mouvi mic for my phone - mv100 - you can check them on YouTube, but they aren’t really for recording sounds around you, but they are cheap enough.

7B566A88-F7F2-4ABD-9E62-EB4D7698F0F0.jpeg

Edited by recom273

Thanks for the info.

If I record on my phone, will the quality be as good as on a PC?

Do you know if a zoom H4n is good for recording nature sounds? I've used Zoom, they are very good.

thank you

1 hour ago, toast1 said:

Thanks for the info.

If I record on my phone, will the quality be as good as on a PC?

Do you know if a zoom H4n is good for recording nature sounds? I've used Zoom, they are very good.

thank you

Yes, a phone will be as good as a PC - it’s all digital but  all depends upon your mic and the compression you use, for video recording, I use a Rode app on my iPhone that has some pretty good options.

The H4n is good, like I said, my buddy goes out and records ambient sounds for video games with his.

I think if I wanted to buy some dedicated hardware I would buy the cheaper H1n, but if I had the need I would buy a mic designed for the task (probably the rode I-xy) and use a decent app that records lossless files.

I would start there, do your research - these should all be available in Thailand at Pro-plugin. 

• 4 weeks later...

Great information, thanks

Can you recommend an app I can use on Android or Windows to record with the rode I-xy.

Do you think the rode 
I-xy is much better quality than H4n?

The 
rode I-xy has a 3.5mm plug, but my phone is USB-C, can i use a converter to record on it?

Thank you

Edited by toast1