Learning Html In Bkk (or Maybe Somewhere Else)

THAILIBAN

as I have to know some HTML in the near future to qualify for some better-paid work and some interesting projects, I am in need to learn some HTML.

I am a NEWBIE with that. computer literate mostly, but that HTML-thing always scared me away....

any recommendations where I can learn ? I have to pay by myself, so it should be affordable. A Thai Comp-school where they speak english will do.

Maybe I would even take some other classes to get some more COMP-skills.

prefer group learning (which would be much less expensive, I suppose), but will consider 1-1 as well, if I can afford it.

Located in BKK, but, as I can do most of my daily work on my laptop, could even go to any other place in the Kingdom if its worth it.....

Suggest you just pick up a book, it's not hard to get started. The Head First HTML/CSS book is quite nicely done and written with 'easy learning' in mind.

Also have a look at some of the content management systems like XOOPS, Joomla! and Wordpress. You can build very sophisticated sites in a few hours without having to know HTML (though it helps - but mainly to fine tune templates or if you want to build a customised theme etc).

Edited by Crushdepth

I did this ages ago but the "Learning HTML in 24 hours" was pretty good back then. As the title implies, you really don't need to go to computer school to learn HTML. I am sure they've updated it for CSS in the meantime. Maybe 24 hours is overly optimistic, but it won't take more than a week of studying.

I am sure there's tons of stuff available online as well.

The main difficulty is overcoming the "empty canvas" problem - getting started :o

if I could do that by myself using a book, I would not have asked here. I DO have books for that. But those books doesnt help me a thing..... every 30 seconds I would be stuck not knowing how to continue.

so thats why I asked for a SCHOOL, where there is an instructor which I can pester with question at any time of the session....

any more recommendations for SCHOOLS are welcome

You could try out APTECH multimedia.

This is the bangkok branch of an Indian chain of computer institutes. As far as i remember most of the training would be in English.

Having said that, i would still recommend learning it yourself. keep google.com at hand so when u get stuck every 30th second, you can fire in your problem n get the solution instantly. Believe me it is faster than asking your teacher at computer schools even.

Besides im sure there are many tutorials on the web (even video tutorials) which can give u the initial guidance to get u started on the learning curve.

Thailiban - Sorry, can't help with a school name, but as with others, I suggest you reconsider going the "do-it-yourself" route with a good book (or CD/DVD video course) and a free HTML editor to practice on.

You could buy an editor like Microsoft's FrontPage or Adobe's Dreamweaver (both relatively expensive) however, there are a number of very good free editors, like the two from Evrsoft (Australia) here.

Whatever your decision, it should be a fun learning experience.

waldwolf

as I have to know some HTML in the near future to qualify for some better-paid work and some interesting projects, I am in need to learn some HTML.

I am a NEWBIE with that. computer literate mostly, but that HTML-thing always scared me away....

any recommendations where I can learn ? I have to pay by myself, so it should be affordable. A Thai Comp-school where they speak english will do.

Maybe I would even take some other classes to get some more COMP-skills.

prefer group learning (which would be much less expensive, I suppose), but will consider 1-1 as well, if I can afford it.

Located in BKK, but, as I can do most of my daily work on my laptop, could even go to any other place in the Kingdom if its worth it.....

W3 schools has online courses for free. It's also a good reference place.

Edited by dave_boo

Lots of great tutorials at www.Lynda.com for almost any program and the many of the lessons for each program are free. She charges a small feel for unlimited downloads for the entire courses.

Wortha visit and her rates are reasonable. The tutorials are broken down into 3-5 minute chapters in a Quicktime format so there is no reading necessary. Easy and simple and doesn't require a large attention span.

Another company also TOtal Training has great tutorial CD's.

Google for some great tutorials. There so many free examples around. You will be wanting to learn html with css at the same time.

I recommend the following : w3schools.com , pagetutor.com , and htmlcodetutorial.com.

Good luck and hello world.

I know this isn't the answer you want, but Lynda.com is a very worthwhile resource. The lesson video format works well, and it's easy to work along side. I know what you man about someone to ask, so in that spirit there are some small schools in Pantip, which might offer a way forward.

There's also one which advertises on BTS etc., but I'm dam*ed if I can remember the name. I'm not the target audience though.

Regards

Hi there

If you want to learn fast, contact me.

I am a freelance website designer and the only person living here in Thailand to have had a design accepted on Css Zen Garden.

One-to-one is possible, as are email-based tutorials.

It would seem that these days virtually everyone you meet is a "web designer" -- look before you leap: most of these so-called designers have less ability than a peanut.

Hi there

If you want to learn fast, contact me.

I am a freelance website designer and the only person living here in Thailand to have had a design accepted on Css Zen Garden.

One-to-one is possible, as are email-based tutorials.

It would seem that these days virtually everyone you meet is a "web designer" -- look before you leap: most of these so-called designers have less ability than a peanut.

Or maybe not :o

Regards