phone app that translates speaking Thai/English and vv

34 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

There are quite a few....you can buy dedicated earplugs now that translate...almost....in real time.

great, any recommendations? do the earplugs function with the phone app or independently?. Seems if the latter we're talking big bucks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paddypower said:

great, any recommendations? do the earplugs function with the phone app or independently?. Seems if the latter we're talking big bucks.

I think the ones I've seen advertised on Facebook are about 17k Baht!

13 hours ago, Patanawet said:

I wonder how many farang have met the love of their life and then paid to have her learn English?

Most of my friends have wife's/girlfriends who simply ignore the English table conversation and go to their phones. there is the other side of the coin, of course. the men don't speak Thai. ????

13 hours ago, Patanawet said:

seen those. there is one amazing one, each person takes one ear pod and....off you go. Timekettle WT2 Plus AI Language Translator. $230 at Amazon . that's a bargain, except for 2 missing features, you cant use them with a phone for incoming translation and, they are not much use at the local market ????

17 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

Google Translate can do that.

How does that work for you? Ive read that you click on google translate and then enter eg you tap the languages each of you speak. then tap conversation. Then is it just that you aim the mic at your Thai friend and speak? tks.

6 hours ago, paddypower said:

How does that work for you? Ive read that you click on google translate and then enter eg you tap the languages each of you speak. then tap conversation. Then is it just that you aim the mic at your Thai friend and speak? tks.

Yes, that's correct. In Auto mode it will listen for both languages and automatically detect and translate between the two languages.

I haven't actually used it in real-life situations, but it does understand when I speak both Thai and English, and none of those is my native language, so I guess it can be useful.