New Honda Crv 2.4 Vs Ford Escape 3.0 V6

All,

I have changed my mind... Not going for Everest or Fortuner... I don't like that much of Fortuner and I heard some disappointing reviews/comments about Everest in my previous post...

How about the new Honda CRV (more specific the 2.4 version) versus Escape (more specific the 3.0 V6)? What you guys think/have heard/recommend?

I am not worried about (or comparing) fuel consumption. And also not so much worried about resale (unless it REALLY is a problem).

What should I expect about performance, comfort, etc?

Does the 4-speed 3.0 V6 of Ford has lower acceleration than the 2.4 5-speed of Honda CRV?

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS!

If at all possible, test drive both yourself to be really sure.

I too considered the Escape, but went with the CRV because of the new radical design... it wasn't just a "face-lift", plus I liked the interior of the CRV more.

I never test drove the Escape, so I know nothing of ride quality or handling.

The 2.4 is good with full passangers, it's not a slug, "peppy" would be my word of choice.

Navigating thru Pantip parking garage (above ground) isn't a problem for me, turning radius is suprisingly good for a car that size.

CONS' for the CRV:

Front Passanger seats: Not electric and it should be.

Font Driver seats: Electric seats but no memory.

Side curtain airbags: Offered in the US, Europe, Japan, Australia,... everywhere BUT Thailand.

Electronic options: Interior electronic options are very limited compared to other countries.

PRO's for the CRV:

Behaves like a sedan: comfortable.

Behaves like a SUV: capable (still haven't tried off-road).

Command view: Rides higher than average sedans giving "commanding" view.

Stereo: Very very capable factory radio... bring in your favorite CD to the Honda dealer and hear it for yourself.

Do your research carefully and come to your own conclusion.

Good luck and happy shopping!!!

You can try and do alot of 'background' research via the Internet and advice from friends, etc, but I find you really need to take some test drives to see what the vechicals are like and form your own opinion.

Everest is based on an aging pickup design while CRV is almost a clean sheet design based on car building principles? So which would be nicer to driver; I would say the CRV but then the Everest is probably more durable if you live in a remote area with dirt roads, etc. You ultimately you need to make the pros and cons yourself?

I've been at the dealer on Rama 4 looking at that new CR-V too, as I have just bought a new Jazz and am thinking of getting that CRV next year. I just sold my Everest, and you probably read my post of the disasterous results. If you are looking to compare the CR-V with an Escape, you should read both the professional review and the many user reviews on this site in the USA: http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/jedlicka...&model=CR-V

Keep in mind the US model is 2.4 only. The professional reviewer gave it 8 out of 10, and he is notoriously stingy on his reviews.

I have an Escape, and have thought about the CRV on numerous occasions.

I really, dearly love my Escape. Its the perfect size, just a little bigger than the CRV, and i much prefer the interior layout, though the leather on the CRV is of a higher quality and feels more plush.

You did say that you arent bothered about fuel consumption, but do take into account, at least a little (you are being environmentally responsible doing so!) that the Escape is a fuel monster! Im a boy racer at heart and have owned Cosworths and MR2 Turbos and stuff, and the Escape really eats the juice if you have a bit of a lead foot.

The flip side of the coin thugh is that Ford after service is absolutely terrible. Example. My 3 year old Escape wouldnt start. Took it to Ford service and they said i need a new alternator. 16,000THB, but not in stock until 17th May (this was mid-april). When changing the alternator, the also wanted to change the main wiring loom!! (They think i came down the river in the last boat?) Cost - 50,000THB. Additionally at this point, i had a leaking hose from the Power steering pump. Ford told me it needed a new pump. Cost - 17,000THB. So, they wanted a total of over 80,000THB to repair it, and in the meantime, as they didnt have the parts it was undriveable.

So, I took it home, popped the hood and had a look myself. I was a Mercedes trained mechanic in a previous life anyway. Bottom line was, i replaced a power steering hose (that was leaking onto the alternator causing the problem) for a total cost of 350 baht and a couple hours of Sunday afternoon playing. This is typical of Ford after service from what i hear when talking to people. If i didnt have any knowledge of vehicles i would stick to Toyota only!

My next car will probably be a new Escape, but i am toyign with the idea of a Fortuner. Im not completely sold on the looks, and its a huge monstrosity, but it does drive quite nicely. But after my experience with Ford service, there is obviously a reason why there are so many of them on the road.

When comparing CRV to Escape (i know im gonna get flamed for this one!) i compare the two as feeling like a girls car compared to a boys car!

Moonfruit, I agree with you that the PREVIOUS CR-V is a "chick car." However, the new model has gotten much beefier looking, wider and more substantial as well as much more stylish. The interior design and build quality reminds me of the Lexus RX300, and even has the same dash-mounted shifter, so you can change drivers quickly with your Thai wife or girlfriend after running over somebody.

Escape can't compare not due to it being an inferior car, but from my experience with Ford (owned one of the first Everests and recently sold it) in the Kingdom, you just can't get any Thais to buy one when you want to sell it. Maybe Escapes are different. Hondas are always strong in that respect.

To Moonfruit, and other Ford owners who are disenchanted with their Ford dealer: Keep in mind that most models are part for part compatible with equivalent Mazda models. And Mazda service I have found to be excellent. So... just drive that Escape into a Mazda dealer for a 'second opinion' next time you think the Ford guys are charging too much money.

That was the first thing that i did Chanchao with regard to the alternator, but, unfortunately, they didnt have the stock either!

They were a lot more professional than the boys at ford though. My first impression at least.

My 3 year old Escape wouldnt start. Took it to Ford service and they said i need a new alternator. 16,000THB, but not in stock until 17th May (this was mid-april). When changing the alternator, the also wanted to change the main wiring loom!! (They think i came down the river in the last boat?) Cost - 50,000THB. Additionally at this point, i had a leaking hose from the Power steering pump. Ford told me it needed a new pump. Cost - 17,000THB. So, they wanted a total of over 80,000THB to repair it, and in the meantime, as they didnt have the parts it was undriveable.

<deleted>????

Escape is at the end of its lifecycle, people preferred it to CRV when Honda was in a similar position but with a totally new CRV out Escape looks very dated.

And with service like that? No brainer.