What plant is this, are the "fruits" edible ?

In open fields near my house there are a number of tree fruits that are edible, e.g. Manila tamarind and Jujube.
There is now another fruit bearing tree, look to be fairly slow growing and located in a relatively small area.    
The fruits turn from green to yellow to orange ( see photo of fruit ).   

Does anyone know the name of this tree  and if its fruits are edible ?
This year there are many more fruits that usual.

image.thumb.jpeg.a7877e2ca1502e5203dbf4421d852085.jpeg

• Like 1

OP - I have checked seeds again, they are white whilst on the tree but once on the ground they turn black.     The seed pod is segmented and starts to split open  before falling to the ground.
As no one else is harvesting these fruits I would take that to mean they should not be eaten.

The Hairy Fruited Eggplant is in season here and a few near a large fresh water pond are just in reach.

What is with this rush to eat/try unknown fruits or veggies. Just go to the local market and spend 2 or 3 baht and buy what has proven to be safe to eat. Cheesh you cheap skates are ridiculous. eat it and die dummy.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sirocco said:

yes, akee or aki, but I would advise against eating it, even tasting it.
But, it's good to be interested in nature, not like the grumpy, above.

Fruit Exotique Rouge - 6 variétés de fruits à voir absolument !

The G above probably thinks fruits grow in the market.

Asked the farmer wife who I thought knew everything about local products but she did not recognise it, so good advice not to eat it.

Edited by GreasyFingers
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

OP - I have checked seeds again, they are white whilst on the tree but once on the ground they turn black.     The seed pod is segmented and starts to split open  before falling to the ground.
As no one else is harvesting these fruits I would take that to mean they should not be eaten.

The Hairy Fruited Eggplant is in season here and a few near a large fresh water pond are just in reach.

You can eat it.

Like tomatoes it is a fruit, but treated as a vegetable.

National dish of Jamaica, Akkee and Saltfish with Dumplings:

image.jpeg.dfd21a1f3e513d3a35acc0725663c47e.jpeg

"Unripe ackee fruit contains a poison called hypoglycin, so preparers must be careful to wait until the fruit's protective pods turn red and open naturally. Once open, the only edible portion is the yellow arilli, which surround always-toxic black seeds"

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1967235_1967238_1967211,00.html

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

yes, there are even children who believe that chickens have only thighs.
Just look at the trays at the supermarket;

In addition, I will advise,  ENOON to taste this fruit "that we eat like a tomato" and to come and tell us what he thinks about it.
Well, if he's still alive.
If we have to calculate the way to eat a product, there is no more pleasure at the table.

4 hours ago, Kurtf said:

What is with this rush to eat/try unknown fruits or veggies. Just go to the local market and spend 2 or 3 baht and buy what has proven to be safe to eat. Cheesh you cheap skates are ridiculous. eat it and die dummy.

You actually thought what you’ve said is a sensible post? Really?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Enoon said:

You can eat it.

Like tomatoes it is a fruit, but treated as a vegetable.

National dish of Jamaica, Akkee and Saltfish with Dumplings:

image.jpeg.dfd21a1f3e513d3a35acc0725663c47e.jpeg

"Unripe ackee fruit contains a poison called hypoglycin, so preparers must be careful to wait until the fruit's protective pods turn red and open naturally. Once open, the only edible portion is the yellow arilli, which surround always-toxic black seeds"

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1967235_1967238_1967211,00.html

Every year people die in Jamaica from eating uncooked or even undercooked ackees. Most people use tinned ones for that reason. Ackee and salt fish with fried dumplings is amazing 

• Like 1