Best Use of 3 Rai of Arable Land

Pilotman

Isan gets much less rainfall than the south and coastal areas and most of the crops suggested above will be hard work to establish. Whatever you grow you will need water supplied to the land (e.g. bore and electricity for the pump).

I would suggest Mulberry Trees. They grow surprisingly well in Isan and the fruit is surprisingly sweet and tasty. The trees will need water for the first few years, but then should be ok. Even a small tree, after 2 years, is surprisingly prolific.

My neighbour grows them and charges 100 Baht for people to go and pick them in a basket she supplies. 

If you don't want to supply water to the land, then Eucalyptus is the easiest crop. After 3 or 4 years you can sell them as poles. After 5 years you can get a bit ore selling them for pulp.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Isan gets much less rainfall than the south and coastal areas and most of the crops suggested above will be hard work to establish. Whatever you grow you will need water supplied to the land (e.g. bore and electricity for the pump).

I would suggest Mulberry Trees. They grow surprisingly well in Isan and the fruit is surprisingly sweet and tasty. The trees will need water for the first few years, but then should be ok. Even a small tree, after 2 years, is surprisingly prolific.

My neighbour grows them and charges 100 Baht for people to go and pick them in a basket she supplies. 

If you don't want to supply water to the land, then Eucalyptus is the easiest crop. After 3 or 4 years you can sell them as poles. After 5 years you can get a bit ore selling them for pulp.

For Eucalyptus, not too big of a return. My friend has 10 rai and sells them every four years and gets about 100,000 Baht for them. On the plus side, virtually no work. The buyers come and cut them down and take them. That Phanom area

Edited by sagra
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2021 at 4:15 PM, kickstart said:

You have got to ask the OP where he is  ,Durian will not grow any where ,most are grown down south ,also Chonburi and Chantanarburi .

Mango's are  a better bet.  

Chanthaburi, Rayong and Chumpon now grow nearly 90% of Thailand’s durian.

6 hours ago, nycjoe said:

We are in Isaan, about 40 K from Laos, We have 50 rai, when we built the house we planted a variety of fruit trees which took 5 years before they bore fruit. We have rice and palm on much of the land. My wife family are farmer so they do the heavy lifting. Lychee are in fruit now and we sold all fruit from first tree in one day. Mangoes are coming soon. We get our plant products from Maejo university organics department. they mail them to us. I am thinking of paying a senior at an agricultural college to come and visit and make a plan for that makes bet use of the land. My son in law also lives on the land and raises pigs. I am having a ball watching the family grow and prosper.

images.jpeg

You have Fifty rie, a fair bit of land  here in Thailand,  you have the land, if one crop  does fail ,or the selling price has dropped ,you have got something else to fall back on,

The op only has three rie ,a completely different ball game not many options as has been said water could be a problem  .

I have a Thai friend who is planting hardwood trees Teak, Mahogany ,he will not be around for the harvest ,Teak could be an option ,a 10-year cycle ,low maintenance  once they get going , as has been said Eucalyptus ,always a market. 

I suggest you grow bamboo. Fast growing, less labour intensive than other cash crops. Anywhere from 200 to 1,000 plants can be ciltivated per 1 acre. However you need to talk to the foresty experts to select specie/s suitable to your soil. 

3 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

3 rai is a small area. Why not try growing grass to sell as fresh forage? You can cut every 40-45 days. If you don't want to cut yourself, some customers will give you a contract price and cut it themselves.

Collecting cut Mombasa grass to fed goats 2 Ubon Ratchathani Thailand.jpg

IMG_2161.JPG

Excellent idea. I have a similar size block of Mulato II for this wet season. Locals will buy, cut and carry as needed to feed their cattle during the rice season. You can also charge to run it through a chaff cutter.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 7:22 AM, Michael Hare said:

3 rai is a small area. Why not try growing grass to sell as fresh forage? You can cut every 40-45 days. If you don't want to cut yourself, some customers will give you a contract price and cut it themselves.

Collecting cut Mombasa grass to fed goats 2 Ubon Ratchathani Thailand.jpg

IMG_2161.JPG

A good idea ,but the OP has not said what the land was originally growing ,if it was rice fields ,he will have to do some work in getting rid of the water Multo II will not grow in old rice fields as soon as the rains come ,it sits in water it will die ,it does not like wet land , the same could be said about young trees  Paspalum Atratum will grow on wet land.but has a palatability problem .

Also are they cattle in his area, and will the farmers come and cut the grass, some will say ,I can cut it from the roadside for free ,some will think good quality grass will make the cattle grow faster worth the cost .

He will have to use some urea fertilizer ,and how will he cost it out ,so he can make some money. 

30 minutes ago, kickstart said:

A good idea ,but the OP has not said what the land was originally growing ,if it was rice fields ,he will have to do some work in getting rid of the water Multo II will not grow in old rice fields as soon as the rains come ,it sits in water it will die ,it does not like wet land , the same could be said about young trees  Paspalum Atratum will grow on wet land.but has a palatability problem .

Also are they cattle in his area, and will the farmers come and cut the grass, some will say ,I can cut it from the roadside for free ,some will think good quality grass will make the cattle grow faster worth the cost .

He will have to use some urea fertilizer ,and how will he cost it out ,so he can make some money. 

The 3 Rai is for Mrs P to play with, nothing serious on our part and I expect it to cost us some money, rather than make any, but I would like to keep any loss to a minimum  and I do want her to treat it seriously, if only as a hobby. It is actually 10 Rai , split between 2 other siblings . so they do need to coordinate their efforts to make the most of it. The land has been left to nature for many, many years. probably generations, and as far as we can can tell, it has never been farmed. 

13 hours ago, Pilotman said:

The 3 Rai is for Mrs P to play with, nothing serious on our part and I expect it to cost us some money, rather than make any, but I would like to keep any loss to a minimum  and I do want her to treat it seriously, if only as a hobby. It is actually 10 Rai , split between 2 other siblings . so they do need to coordinate their efforts to make the most of it. The land has been left to nature for many, many years. probably generations, and as far as we can can tell, it has never been farmed. 

If that land was in my area left for many years ,it would be full of trees and bushes ,that would need some serious work/money  to get it cleared.

If your land has nothing growing on it for all that time I would have a good look at the fertility  of the land.

By what you say the odds of just ploughing it up and growing something that makes money seems remote. ......but I could be wrong .

3 hours ago, kickstart said:

If that land was in my area left for many years ,it would be full of trees and bushes ,that would need some serious work/money  to get it cleared.

If your land has nothing growing on it for all that time I would have a good look at the fertility  of the land.

By what you say the odds of just ploughing it up and growing something that makes money seems remote. ......but I could be wrong .

it is indeed covered  with some trees, bushes and grasses. 

Just now, Alex2554 said:

What currency? Here in Buriram 300000-400000 Bht

ooops   sorry .    Yes,  sam sen to sii sen baht     300k-400k      thanks for catching that