Price Of Gas (petrol) In Thailand ?

Kerryd

According to Sympatico MSN News article this morning, the price for a liter of regular unleaded gas in Vancouver hit $126.986 (Canadian, or 3,822 baht) per liter !! Vancouver hardest hit by soaring gas prices

It is obviously a misprint, though how the reporter misplaced a decimal point by two places, then added 3 extra numbers is beyond me. I'm sure it was supposed to read $1.26 (or rounded off to $1.27) per liter, for regular gas.

The picture with the article shows a part of a gas pump displaying a figure of $110.00. It was most likely the "Total Sale" figure, and the reporter was too lazy to actually go look at the actual price per liter. Even that figure works out to 38.22 baht per liter for the cheapest grade of gas. :D

Of course, this most recent hike takes place (coincidentally, according to the oil companies) just before a long weekend (as it usually does, not much coincidence there). :D

The oil companies (again) blame the hike on greater demand and reduced supplies. This time, the reduced supplies are a result of "maintenance being done at the refineries". Hmmmm, what a coincidence. :o

Knowing (historically) that this is a period of higher demand, they decide to do some maintenance work which reduces the overall supply of fuel. There's always some excuse. :D

Last time I checked in LOS, I think a liter of the premium stuff was around 27 baht/liter ?

Is the price generally the same around the country, or does it fluctuate from region to region ?

Last time I checked in LOS, I think a liter of the premium stuff was around 27 baht/liter?

In Chiang Mai: regular unleaded (91) is 29.94 baht/litre, premium unleaded (95) is 30.74 baht/litre.

Is the price generally the same around the country, or does it fluctuate from region to region?

The price is relatively the same around the country, increasing slightly the more one's location is remote from Bangkok. Bangkok prices are probably 50 satang to a baht per litre less than they are in Chiang Mai.

When I was last residing in the UK the price per litre of gasoline was around 0.99GBP (approx 69 Baht). :D

But then as I work in the oil & gas industry I shouldn't complain except that around 75% of that price is tax. :o

The UK Govt better hope that its population don't suddenly stop smoking and start cycling to work. :D The country would be bankrupt within the week.

Global Gas Pump prices worldwide (Dollars per gallon as of Feb. 24)

Country Dollars per gallon

Netherlands $6.25

Norway $6.21

United Kingdom $5.94

Germany $5.87

Italy $5.72

France $5.56

South Korea $5.38

Japan $4.54

Australia $3.32

South Africa $3.24

Russia $2.38

Mexico $2.36

U.S. $2.23

Nigeria $1.85

China $1.93*

India (Delhi) $3.75*

Indonesia $1.67*

Vietnam $2.27*

Malaysia $1.93*

Bangladesh $2.42*

Singapore $4.09*

Iran $0.33*

Venezuela $0.12*

* March 24

Note: Not sure if this is US gallons or Imperial gallons of fuel, but roughly 5lt =1 gallon and 35 baht = $US1

Peter

Not too sure I can trust these results. The US gives 3.79 liters to a gallon and the dollar is exchanging at just under 2 dollars to a pound which would make a liter of fuel roughly 80 pence in the UK. It's a while since I've back there but I can't recall when I last saw it selling for that price

According to Sympatico MSN News article this morning, the price for a liter of regular unleaded gas in Vancouver hit $126.986 (Canadian, or 3,822 baht) per liter !! Vancouver hardest hit by soaring gas prices

It is obviously a misprint, though how the reporter misplaced a decimal point by two places, then added 3 extra numbers is beyond me. I'm sure it was supposed to read $1.26 (or rounded off to $1.27) per liter, for regular gas.

The picture with the article shows a part of a gas pump displaying a figure of $110.00. It was most likely the "Total Sale" figure, and the reporter was too lazy to actually go look at the actual price per liter. Even that figure works out to 38.22 baht per liter for the cheapest grade of gas. :D

Of course, this most recent hike takes place (coincidentally, according to the oil companies) just before a long weekend (as it usually does, not much coincidence there). :D

The oil companies (again) blame the hike on greater demand and reduced supplies. This time, the reduced supplies are a result of "maintenance being done at the refineries". Hmmmm, what a coincidence. :o

Knowing (historically) that this is a period of higher demand, they decide to do some maintenance work which reduces the overall supply of fuel. There's always some excuse. :D

Last time I checked in LOS, I think a liter of the premium stuff was around 27 baht/liter ?

Is the price generally the same around the country, or does it fluctuate from region to region ?

I was in Vancouver, Canada two weeks ago. No, the reporter did not have a misprint, nor did the picture show a total sale amount. The Canuks in Vancouver B.C. regularly display their gas prices with the decimal two places off to the right. They've always done so. The digits to the right of the decimal represent part of the tax component of a liter of gasoline.

But it did make a sensational thread title. Good work. :D

Questions:

1) What percentage of Thailand's fuel is IMPORTED?

2) Why are there not more vehicles running on Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG) or Liquid Natural Gas (LNG) or even Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)? This would help clean up the air in BKK and Chang Mai.

3) Who about an electric car for the masses? I see in today's news an electric car maker in China is going to export cars to the USA.

Peter

In Chiang Mai: regular unleaded (91) is 29.94 baht/litre, premium unleaded (95) is 30.74 baht/litre.

I spoke too soon. Prices appear to have been raised by 40 satang/litre today. In Chiang Mai: regular unleaded (91) is now 30.34 baht/litre, premium unleaded (95) is 31.14 baht/litre.

For whatever reason, whenever there is a petrol price increase, an increment of 40 satang/litre seems to be the increment most often used.

Global Gas Pump prices worldwide (Dollars per gallon as of Feb. 24)

Country Dollars per gallon

Netherlands $6.25

Norway $6.21

United Kingdom $5.94

Germany $5.87

Italy $5.72

France $5.56

South Korea $5.38

Japan $4.54

Australia $3.32

South Africa $3.24

Russia $2.38

Mexico $2.36

U.S. $2.23

Nigeria $1.85

China $1.93*

India (Delhi) $3.75*

Indonesia $1.67*

Vietnam $2.27*

Malaysia $1.93*

Bangladesh $2.42*

Singapore $4.09*

Iran $0.33*

Venezuela $0.12*

* March 24

Note: Not sure if this is US gallons or Imperial gallons of fuel, but roughly 5lt =1 gallon and 35 baht = $US1

Peter

As of today May 17TH average $3.40 washington state-near $4.00 califorinia per gallon. :o

I spoke too soon. Prices appear to have been raised by 40 satang/litre today. In Chiang Mai: regular unleaded (91) is now 30.34 baht/litre, premium unleaded (95) is 31.14 baht/litre.

For whatever reason, whenever there is a petrol price increase, an increment of 40 satang/litre seems to be the increment most often used.

In Bangkok the regular (91) is 29.59 baht/litre and the premium (95) is 30.39 baht/liter after the increase yesterday. The gasohol (95) is 28.89 baht/liter.

Drive a motorcycle where possible. Praise to the heavens I can do that in LOS. I wouldn't think of it in USA. Way to many reckless drivers & hit & run artists. Thaialand may have a few, but I think relative safe (outside of BKK) compared to USA's loony-tune drivers. Another advantage of living in Thai.

Drive a motorcycle where possible. Praise to the heavens I can do that in LOS. I wouldn't think of it in USA. Way to many reckless drivers & hit & run artists. Thaialand may have a few, but I think relative safe (outside of BKK) compared to USA's loony-tune drivers. Another advantage of living in Thai.

I don't know what planet you visited, but I have had more near-death experiences on Thailand's highways in the last four years, than I have had in more than 35 years of traffic in the USA. The statistics are also against your observations: the traffic fatality rate in Thailand is four times that of the USA.

But I do agree, using my motorcycle in Thailand does leave me with a Cheshire Cat grin, when I think about current world gasoline prices.

2 (mild) suggestions:

1) As the lowest priced gas in the world appears to be in Venezuela, I suggest all owners of huge SUV's move there forthwith. Viva La Revolucion! Viva Hugo Chavez!.... :D

2) Ride a motorcycle. Last time I looked, my total expenditure for gas here in LOS with my CBR150 was $9.45 USD for the last 30 days (and I ride daily) :o

Edited by mcgriffith

Enough Already.

Naka.

Hi

What really gets up my nose in the UK is the fact that we already have high fuel tax and then we have 17.5% Vat on the fuel tax!!

So tax is taxed :o:D :D

TBWG :D

PS I see Iran & Venezuela are doing their bit to speed up global warming. :D

€1.16 to €1.18 locally here in Ireland a litre not a gallon my suv does roughly 22miles to the imperial gallon petrol.

Having second taughts about my nice gas gussling SUV.

Am in Ireland also .Diesel here in Waterford 4.74 Euro ,imperial Gallon ( 1.04 euro /liter ).My camper van does about 25 MPG .

Have Honda Wave motorcycle in Jomtien /Pattaya ,and it does about 100 MPG .When i was in Thailand last in Febuary 95 octain was around 26 baht /liter ,seems it has gone up in the last few months then .

I drove nothing but motorcycles in Texas from 1982 to 1989, averaging 18,000 MILES per year, winters included. While earning a pension as a professional! Had to give it up when I became the custodial parent of twin girls instead of just one teenager. I concur with Toptuan and others that Thailand is far more dangerous on two wheels, or on four wheels.

I run my old and trusty Volvo on LPG.

At 9.85 Baht/liter, a 500 Baht fill-up lasts me around 400 km! And that car guzzles the fuel, especially with my quite heavy right foot...

monty: Just an observation - I see very few LPG pumps in service stations in Thailand. Considering the cost of LPG is about 1 third of petrol - I would have thought it would be much more popular.

The Australian (and some state governments) are giving a subsidy to private motorists who convert their petrol powered car to dual fuel (LPG & petrol). Only problem - there is a 3 year waiting list for tanks and fitting.

Peter

:o

Ok, back to the topic: 1 liter of diesel is € 1.15 (USD 5.86 per US gallon) in Italy and my Opel Corsa diesel automatic car does 18-19 kms per liter (43.5 MPG) with the A/C on.

Benzina (gasoline/petrol) is € 1.35 per liter (USD 6.88 per US gallon)...

Edited by BAF