Thailand Tsunami Threat

Hi All.

I have heard through my wife currently visiting in Thailand that there are Tv warnings against tourists visiting beaches and of an imminent tsunami.

Can anyone shed more light on this as I will be visiting Thailand soon and hopefully taking my family to the beaches before flying home to the UK together.

Regards slippery

Hi All.

I have heard through my wife currently visiting in Thailand that there are Tv warnings against tourists visiting beaches and of an imminent tsunami.

Can anyone shed more light on this as I will be visiting Thailand soon and hopefully taking my family to the beaches before flying home to the UK together.

Regards slippery

Tsunami's are only possible when there are massive earthquakes or landslides etc. under or near the oceans of the world. Until someone can accurately predict one of those I don't see how an imminent tsunami warning is possible or even credible. :o

Don't let an major tsunami event like the one a few years ago that occurs maybe once every hundred years or so put you off a family trip to Thailand.

BTW, I am lead to believe there is an early warning system now in place in most coastal resort ereas of Thailand.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Huge tidal waves strike Indonesia

Jakarta (dpa) - Tidal waves up to seven metres high struck the coastlines of 11 provinces in Indonesia, causing thousands of residents to flee their homes and destroying hundreds of houses, tourist spots and fishing boats, local media reported Saturday.

The 11 provinces that suffered from high waves included Aceh, North Sumatra, West Sumatra, Bengkulu and Lampung provinces on Sumatra island. High waves also struck major coastlines of Java and Bali islands, the leading Kompas daily newspaper reported.

No casualties have been recorded so far by the unusual waves.

Hundreds of houses were reportedly badly damaged in five of the affected provinces. West Java province was the worst hit, with at least 200 houses swept away by the tidal waves along the coast of Pelabuhan Ratu.

Tidal waves that hit the coastline of Bali island caused havoc in famous beaches area, causing tourists to flee and also destroying hundreds of fishing boats in Jimbaran area, which is famous for its fisheries industry, Kompas daily reported.

Weather forecasters have predicted the high waves would occur in the upcoming days and had warned tourists to avoid coastline areas.

Bangkok Post

Huge tidal waves strike Indonesia

Jakarta (dpa) - Tidal waves up to seven metres high struck the coastlines of 11 provinces in Indonesia, causing thousands of residents to flee their homes and destroying hundreds of houses, tourist spots and fishing boats, local media reported Saturday.

The 11 provinces that suffered from high waves included Aceh, North Sumatra, West Sumatra, Bengkulu and Lampung provinces on Sumatra island. High waves also struck major coastlines of Java and Bali islands, the leading Kompas daily newspaper reported.

No casualties have been recorded so far by the unusual waves.

Hundreds of houses were reportedly badly damaged in five of the affected provinces. West Java province was the worst hit, with at least 200 houses swept away by the tidal waves along the coast of Pelabuhan Ratu.

Tidal waves that hit the coastline of Bali island caused havoc in famous beaches area, causing tourists to flee and also destroying hundreds of fishing boats in Jimbaran area, which is famous for its fisheries industry, Kompas daily reported.

Weather forecasters have predicted the high waves would occur in the upcoming days and had warned tourists to avoid coastline areas.

Bangkok Post

Tidal waves & tsunamis are not the same thing. Tidal surges are caused by freak combinations of the moons orbit around the earth & severe localised weather conditions. They are a localised event and never travel great distances accross the ocean.

Cheers,

Soundman.

The report in the Bangkok Uses the terms Tidal Waves and Tidal Surges.

These are not Tsunamis.

Phuket has been experiencing unusually high tides as well.

As Soundman pointed out, there has been no significant siesmic event that would cause a Tsunami.

As for the operational level of the warning system, i am not so sure.

Funding was allocted and the money spent, but i do not kow if the system works.

Last i heard was that communication betwen the towers for the early warning system was done by mobile phone.

The report in the Bangkok Uses the terms Tidal Waves and Tidal Surges.

These are not Tsunamis.

Phuket has been experiencing unusually high tides as well.

As Soundman pointed out, there has been no significant siesmic event that would cause a Tsunami.

As for the operational level of the warning system, i am not so sure.

Funding was allocted and the money spent, but i do not kow if the system works.

Last i heard was that communication betwen the towers for the early warning system was done by mobile phone.

Just meant that this might be the source of the confusion.