Trip Report Visa Exempt to Non-O Retirement - Bangkok

thanks for the report.  i'm debating whether to do this, get a non O, or non OA right now (from los angeles consulate).  probably return in june or july.  i did the change visa from exempt in 2017 so i'm leaning towards repeating that process.  as i recall, i had a bank letter, bank book plus copies of it.  no bank statement.  i also had a copy of lease but no proof of payment.  the best part was there was zero wait, alot dfferent than three months later when i went for the one year extension.

i assume the bank statement is the most recent, either mailed to your apt or obtained at the bank when you got the letter ? (i use a combo of foreign currency account and THB account), it is not a 'year end' or 'last twelve months' type of thing.  i'm still on my original lease so i should be good to go there (easy to show proof of payment).  seems the TM 30 is always a crapshoot.

thanks for the hotel tip, i'll take a look at that online.  did you have a microwave in the room, i want to be able to reheat the meals.

9 minutes ago, buick said:

i assume the bank statement is the most recent, either mailed to your apt or obtained at the bank when you got the letter ? (i use a combo of foreign currency account and THB account), it is not a 'year end' or 'last twelve months' type of thing.  i'm still on my original lease so i should be good to go there (easy to show proof of payment).  seems the TM 30 is always a crapshoot.

A bank statement is not normally required if using the 800k baht in the bank option. Just a bank letter and your updated bank book or books.

1 hour ago, buick said:

.  i did the change visa from exempt in 2017 so i'm leaning towards repeating that process

IMO, good idea. 

If you use money in bank then you will not need statements at CW. 

You need to show money came from overseas to obtain non o.

Note that there is appointment system available for extensions (retirement). Not compulsory but highly recommended.

The money in the bank method is best option if possible for you.

Link for appointment

http://203.151.166.132/immigrant_queue/booking/

ps. OP thanks for clear detailed report.

Edited by DrJack54

59 minutes ago, buick said:

thanks for the report.  i'm debating whether to do this, get a non O, or non OA right now (from los angeles consulate).  probably return in june or july.  i did the change visa from exempt in 2017 so i'm leaning towards repeating that process.  as i recall, i had a bank letter, bank book plus copies of it.  no bank statement.  i also had a copy of lease but no proof of payment.  the best part was there was zero wait, alot dfferent than three months later when i went for the one year extension.

thanks for the hotel tip, i'll take a look at that online.  did you have a microwave in the room, i want to be able to reheat the meals.

The reason I didn't go the O-A route in 2017 is because of the physical and lab tests (my doc wouldn't sign the physical form without the tests) which I would have had to pay for because my work insurance wouldn't cover that as a necessary medical expense. Doubt my Medicare would cover that this year.

I don't think I needed the bank statement but since I was in the bank that morning and the teller asked if I wanted a statement I said yes to both. As others have mentioned in previous posts, make sure you can show that the funds came from outside the country. With the foreign currency account that's no issue but if the Baht account is large and there were substantial funds added to it lately, may or may not become an issue depending on the IO.

No microwave in the Anantara regular rooms but I think the suites have them. Contact them about possibly ordering one for your room. I didn't need one. I'm a foodie (owned a gourmet deli and worked in the gourmet food industry for a decade) and the food ranged from good to WOW. Plenty of food, incredible range of choices and almost always on time. You have a range of times you chose for delivery and it was delivered very warm or hot 20 out of 21 times. 

Edited by JerseytoBKK
  • Like 1

thanks for the addtl info and input.  it looks like the online appointment site now works with browsers other than explorer, not sure that was the case last time i was looking into it.  having the appt service is a huge improvement.  it looks like quarantine is back to 14 days, but that still gives me two weeks to do the exempt to non O process.  have bank account already and money is in there.  so probably down to choosing an ASQ hotel and flight.  saw some low prices on roojai.com for the covid insurance (much lower than a quote i got from another entity). 

On 4/30/2021 at 11:18 PM, buick said:

thanks for the addtl info and input.  it looks like the online appointment site now works with browsers other than explorer, not sure that was the case last time i was looking into it.  having the appt service is a huge improvement.  it looks like quarantine is back to 14 days, but that still gives me two weeks to do the exempt to non O process.  have bank account already and money is in there.  so probably down to choosing an ASQ hotel and flight.  saw some low prices on roojai.com for the covid insurance (much lower than a quote i got from another entity). 

Visa exempt was changed to 45 days about 6-7 weeks ago to allow people more free time after they get out of Quarantine jail. This was back when  14 days was still required for everyone. I came in on April 1st and was stamped in with a stay until date of May 15.