First check up for pregnant wife..went wrong.... what can we do?

Penphak

Took my wife for her first check up today at a clinic In Chumphae..

the doctor took blood and gave her lots of pills me a bill for 2000 baht.

when. I politely asked him how this was broken down. The good doctor became aggressive and argumentative.

we decide that this was the clinic wasn’t for us and that we would make alternative arrangements..

we we explained this to the staff who basically said tough luck ....you’ve paid ....you’re stuck..

has as anyone else every experienced anything like this.?

Any organisations that anyone could recommend.... 

i was even even thinking about reporting him to the police... 

any advice would be welcome...

6 hours ago, Penphak said:

...the doctor took blood and gave her lots of pills...

1. Did the doctor give your wife the pills before he got the results of the blood tests?
  2. Did the doctor give your wife a copy of the the test results?
  3. Did your wife get the pills packed in little plastic bags without labels showing the names of the medicines (as I have seen happening often in Thailand)
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

you better check out what these pills are for....Google the names,

obviously a quack doctor. take her to Government hospital.

or private one if you can afford it.

regards worgeordie

I was once given several different pills by a private clinic. I decided to Google them and discovered that some conflicted with others and should not be taken together. My experience with my local village hospital is infinitely better than with any private place I have attended.

Here's an experience I wrote of, which was published by Stickman and also the UK's Daily Telegraph Expats page.
http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/ReadersSubmissions2011/reader6954.htm

• Like 2

My wife and I had a similar price on our last visit to the clinic. Total price was 1700 baht. The price breakdown for us was 200 baht for pre-natal vitamins (1-month supply) and a calcium supplement, 800 baht for doctor visit(including ultrasound, blood draw), 700 baht lab fee). This is our second child with this doctor. She works in the local hospital, but we prefer to go to her clinic, which is more expensive.

Just to let you know what to expect. The next test will be for Down Syndrome as well as chromosome abnormalities. The doctor should have a couple of options for you. We tend to opt for the more expensive, more accurate test. Expect to pay 15,000-20,000 baht for this visit. Hope this helps.  By the way, this is in Thabo, Nongkhai if that matters.

Edited by Bowwow
  • Like 1

It's now allowable to request the names of the medication the doctor is prescribing and to tell the doctor you want to go to your own pharmacy to get the medication. 

Quite some time ago I was prescribed medicine and went to the pharmacy inside the (private Bangkok) hospital I asked the nurse what the medication was for, it included pain killers, I told her that I had told the doctor I dont have pain, she said if you dont buy these we wont accept responsibility, so I asked "if I do buy them what responsibility will you accept" ?. The silence was deafening, and I did not buy. Never went back to that hospital again.  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

I think correct. I would even ad don't even mention previous check-up..

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, kennw said:

It's now allowable to request the names of the medication the doctor is prescribing and to tell the doctor you want to go to your own pharmacy to get the medication. 

Quite some time ago I was prescribed medicine and went to the pharmacy inside the (private Bangkok) hospital I asked the nurse what the medication was for, it included pain killers, I told her that I had told the doctor I dont have pain, she said if you dont buy these we wont accept responsibility, so I asked "if I do buy them what responsibility will you accept" ?. The silence was deafening, and I did not buy. Never went back to that hospital again.  

Silence is golden....5555

12 hours ago, Puccini said:

1. Did the doctor give your wife the pills before he got the results of the blood tests?
  2. Did the doctor give your wife a copy of the the test results?
  3. Did your wife get the pills packed in little plastic bags without labels showing the names of the medicines (as I have seen happening often in Thailand)

this was an Antenatal Check not treatment of illness. the meds will almost certainly be iron/folate, calcium and/or  a multivitamin/mineral prenatal preparation. All of which can be prescribed without awaiting blood test results.

18 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

No reason to think ths\is was a "quack". Just a private clinic. Quite possibly run by a qualified OB-Gyn.

Quacks generally serve the ill, not conduct prenatal checks (not enough profit in it for one thing). And often work out of their home as opposed to an actual clinic in a town.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I was once given several different pills by a private clinic. I decided to Google them and discovered that some conflicted with others and should not be taken together. My experience with my local village hospital is infinitely better than with any private place I have attended.

Here's an experience I wrote of, which was published by Stickman and also the UK's Daily Telegraph Expats page.
http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/ReadersSubmissions2011/reader6954.htm

I would have self prescribed Amoxicillin 500 for your symptoms, 27bht for 10 tablets at Makro pharmacy.

Deciding it was Bronchitis from vomiting and diarrhoea symptoms is simply amazing.

1 hour ago, Bowwow said:

Just to let you know what to expect. The next test will be for Down Syndrome as well as chromosome abnormalities. The doctor should have a couple of options for you. We tend to opt for the more expensive, more accurate test. Expect to pay 15,000-20,000 baht for this visit. Hope this helps.  By the way, this is in Thabo, Nongkhai if that matters.

Unless your family has a history of Downs, or your wife falls into the 'at risk' category, having the test is pointless. I'm told the test kills as many healthy babies, as it discovers downs babies.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

the doctor took blood and gave her lots of pills me a bill for 2000 baht.

when I politely asked him how this was broken down. The good doctor became aggressive and argumentative.

With all my years in Thailand and visiting Thai govt and private hospitals and little hole in the wall private clinics I have never seen a bill presented by the "doctor"....that is always done by staff after leaving the doctor's room.  Very common at small private clinics for the bill to have little detail.   And as soon as you get into blood tests (which the clinic will probably send out to be processed) the price is going to jump. 

One shouldn't be expecting a detailed printout like western hospitals provide only because western medical insurance companies want tons of details to determine what will be reimbursed and at what rate.

37 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I would have self prescribed Amoxicillin 500 for your symptoms, 27bht for 10 tablets at Makro pharmacy.

Deciding it was Bronchitis from vomiting and diarrhoea symptoms is simply amazing.

A friend was once diagnosed with indigestion when he'd had a heart attack and was only saved by someone he was with taking him to another hospital. Great, isn't it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A friend was once diagnosed with indigestion when he'd had a heart attack and was only saved by someone he was with taking him to another hospital. Great, isn't it.

My 5 year old son was diagnosed with appendicitis (and prepped for immediate surgery), when I got him to the next hospital they treated him for constipation.

My wife was diagnosed (by me) as pregnant, the hospital diagnosed her as not pregnant, after a lot of shouting by me (along the lines of she's pregnant), they reluctantly agreed to do the test again, but it won't make any difference to the result ........ after a tearful lunch she was pregnant ....... sorry, lab tech made a mistake.

This list could be endless.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

First and foremost... If you’ve lost confidence in the Dr / Clinic go elsewhere. 

But, make sure you have not made a mistake and the Dr is not infact correct. 

The Dr may well have identified something which needs treating.

Thus: What medication has be prescribed ?

That said: No professional should become argumentative and aggressive when questioned - this is unprofessional and lends to the conclusion that the Dr is not very good. 

The issue you are facing is that you are in the ‘boondocks’... Find an OB-Gyn at a larger facility who speaks English, someone you can communicate well well and built up that trusting rapport - this is important for your wife.  You may need to travel to Khon Kaen for this. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Unless your family has a history of Downs, or your wife falls into the 'at risk' category, having the test is pointless. I'm told the test kills as many healthy babies, as it discovers downs babies.

It's all done by blood tests these days.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gavlar said:
3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's all done by blood tests these days.....

Additionally, the original amniocentesis test carried out at around 20 weeks carried with it a 0.1 to 0.3% risk of miscarriage which is a little different from ‘kills as many healthy babies...... ‘  yawn... 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

First and foremost... If you’ve lost confidence in the Dr / Clinic go elsewhere. 

But, make sure you have not made a mistake and the Dr is not infact correct. 

The Dr may well have identified something which needs treating.

Thus: What medication has be prescribed ?

That said: No professional should become argumentative and aggressive when questioned - this is unprofessional and lends to the conclusion that the Dr is not very good. 

The issue you are facing is that you are in the ‘boondocks’... Find an OB-Gyn at a larger facility who speaks English, someone you can communicate well well and built up that trusting rapport - this is important for your wife.  You may need to travel to Khon Kaen for this. 

With bill of only 2,000 baht likely nothing was found amiss and just standard prenatal supplements prescribed.

• Like 2

Probably not in this case but in cases of serious medical malpractice, you can make a complaint to the Thai Medical Council (TMC).

I would advise anyone making such a complaint to do so in Thai language.  I had a problem with a Thai hospital a few years ago and it took quite some time to get a response from them but things seemed to accelerate when I had my complaint translated into Thai.

Hospitals seem to take involvement of the Medical Council seriously - I'd hit a brick wall simply complaining to the hospital and threatening them with the TMC but as soon as they knew the council had got involved they agreed to settle out of court.

There is a section on ethics and rules on their website in English.

https://tmc.or.th/En/about_en.php

Pills oh those pills giveaways in Thailand. He gave my gf benzodiazepam and paracetamol for stomach issues. I'm always telling my gf to tell me what tablets she or family gets from these idiots. Before anyone takes anything 

14 hours ago, Satcommlee said:

I hardly think 2000 Baht is excessive for a first appointment in a private clinic. You want to try your luck at certain private hospitals then you will be back at that clinic with your tail between your legs.

By keeping your tail between your legs you avoid having to undergo all this trouble. lol 555555555