Chiang Mai: Chinese gun dealer nabbed by immigration - he was on 419 day overstay too

webfact

7pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Thailand's chief of immigration Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang announced the arrest of a Chinese man who was selling guns. 

An informant had told the police about a man selling guns for 10,000 baht each and ammunition. 

A sting was set up and Huang, 28, was caught red handed in the parking lot of a mall on the Chiang Mai to Lampang Road in Muang district of Chiang Mai, reported Naew Na.  

Taken into evidence were a .32, a .38, a bullet and a phone.

In addition Huang was found to have come into Thailand and been allowed to stay until February 16th 2020 - he was thus also on overstay of 419 days.

He was charged dealing in guns without permission and overstaying his visa and detained. 

Naew Na in their standard rhetoric said this was all part of orders from the top to keep Thailand safe from law breaking foreigners. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-27

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The report said that he was a gun dealer but when he was nicked he only had a .32, a .38, a bullet and a phone.

He probably left the rest at home, but what the report doesn't say is the calibre of the bullet. Nor does it say if more guns and ammunition were found at his home.

If that is all the guns and ammunition that he had, he couldn't have been a very successful gun dealer.

or he had sold out of most products

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Naew Na in their standard rhetoric said this was all part of orders from the top to keep Thailand safe from law breaking foreigners

Maybe the informant will get some praise too as the police had done nothing up to that point in time.

quote from the OP

"Naew Na in their standard rhetoric said this was all part of orders from the top to keep Thailand safe from law breaking foreigners."

Why not keep Thailand safe from ALL lawbreakers, as there are far more Thai lawbreakers than law  breaking foreigners.

7 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

and, Naew Na in stark contrast to their usual spiel did not make mention whatsoever of any BMW SmartCar involvement. It seems the SmartCars are on a well deserved break after successfully fixing the 90 Day Online Reporting.

The lone Smart Car Driver was transfered to an inactive post, that being a technical position troubleshooting the pesky 90 Day Online Reporting that is needs of periodic crashing.

Naew Naa says he was selling Thai made knock offs for B10,000 and was caught with a .32 revolver and a .38 revolver both looking like knock offs of Smith & Wessons. I wonder why anyone would want a .32 revolver in Thailand where the ammo is very hard to find and more expensive than .38 which is plentiful. I guess because the home made guns are less likely to blow up from the lower pressure of a .32.  On the other hand Thais make break action single shot pistols that fire a 12 guage shotgun shell that is much higher pressure and I believe there are many accidents with those. 

He doesn't look a very smart crook.  The revolvers look quite like originals and 10k seems very cheap for them, if they work fairly reliably at least for a few hundred rounds before falling apart. I have read of the single shot shotgun pistols, which are much easier to make, selling for 10k on the black market.

Somewhat off topic. 

I wonder how many customers this guy had?  Must have been plenty at 10,000 baht per firearm compared to what may be legitimate sales of handguns. 

A couple of weeks ago, I was shown an American made .22 mag revolver, by a Thai police officer I know.  It is his concealed carry gun.  A small revolver made by North American Arms (NAA).   I assume he, as a Thai police officer, purchased it legitimately here in Thailand but still paid more than 100,000 baht for it.  

Even with the high prices of those revolvers in America right now, 15,000 baht would be almost like robbery.   10,000 is closer to what it would cost in America.   Perhaps that NAA .22 magnum revolver is very rare in Thailand, thus the extremely high, premium price it sold for.