What exact document is required to prove a negative Covid test result to fly out of Thailand

wasabi

My wife and I have PCR Covid tests scheduled for the morning of Sunday May 2nd at Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok. Assuming we get a negative result will physical pieces of paper sufficient to board our flight to the USA be provided? I am also hearing people talking about emails and text messages from the hospital. It seems like a piece of paper with some type of official stamp is needed? Has anyone been through this and know what documentation is required? Would an email be sufficient?

Another related point. I've already purchased our plane tickets for May 4th on the presumption we test negative. I believe that is easily within the 3 day window. If we test positive I will get a flight credit and have to use it another date but I won't lose my money.

Edited by wasabi
  • Like 1

"If we test positive I will get a flight credit and have to use it another date but I won't lose my money"

Hope you have insurance in case you test positive. I took Covid insurance until my visa expired and my flight was booked. Afterwards I thought about it and should have gotten an extra month in case I was positive.

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2021 at 4:12 AM, Phillip9 said:

The US embassy website says they will accept a paper or electronic copy.  Best to contact your airline and ask if they will except an emailed document if you decide to go that route.   Personally, I decided to get an official paper copy of the certificate with the hospital stamp just to be safe.

They love paper in this country , this is the way to go 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, pe747 said:

We got a paper from the hospital, which stated that covid was not detected and showed that at check in. That was it.

Where exactly can I get my negative coronavirus test done here in Pattaya?

prior to my flight to the UK with Thai Airways on 16th May? Anyone please?

• Like 2

I am planning to travel to the United States soon, which requires either a PCR or Antigen test. I live very close to the MedConsult clinic on Sukhumvit Soi 49 in Bangkok, so I was planning to go there for the test. Has anybody travelling to the States opted for the Antigen test, which is cheaper and faster results? Do particular airlines have rules regarding which type of test is acceptable to board their planes or to do a short layover in the airline's home country? The main airlines flying from Bangkok to the eastern US seem to be Emirates, Qatar, JAL, and Korean Air. I just looked at the Emirates web site and they only accept PCR tests to transit in Dubai, so getting an Antigen test is probably a bad idea.

JGA

3 hours ago, Elkski said:

I think delta said no on antigen test.  Or was that the US site that said that.  I don't think the US is accepting antigen because 50% or so efficiency. 

US definitely accepts antigen tests.  Below is from the official cdc site.  US embassy website says the same thing.

42F8F5AA-EBE8-4680-AA02-E3DD4A1B3283.jpeg.95502149e94fa30355fe5a3f40f4d4e2.jpeg

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

Edited by Phillip9
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2021 at 6:28 PM, JGA said:

The main airlines flying from Bangkok to the eastern US seem to be Emirates, Qatar, JAL, and Korean Air. I just looked at the Emirates web site and they only accept PCR tests to transit in Dubai,

There is no covid test requirement to transit dubai if you are departing from thailand, so you will only have to meet the US testing requirement of an antigen or pcr test if flying from BKK to the USA and transiting dubai.  Same with Qatar.  I don't know about JAL or korean.

E6981C07-CF3B-4718-9CBD-03BD4AB415E0.jpeg.93c6330900375099f9cce36250eaf65b.jpeg

https://www.emirates.com/us/english/help/covid-19/

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 10:42 PM, Phillip9 said:

There is no covid test requirement to transit dubai if you are departing from thailand, so you will only have to meet the US testing requirement of an antigen or pcr test if flying from BKK to the USA and transiting dubai.  Same with Qatar.  I don't know about JAL or korean.

E6981C07-CF3B-4718-9CBD-03BD4AB415E0.jpeg.93c6330900375099f9cce36250eaf65b.jpeg

https://www.emirates.com/us/english/help/covid-19/

Here's a question:

If I fly from Thailand to a country with no pcr test requirement (such as albania) with emirates, and the only stop is in dubai, would I need a negative pcr test to board the plane in bangkok?

7 hours ago, Chrisroundtheworld said:

If I fly from Thailand to a country with no pcr test requirement (such as albania) with emirates, and the only stop is in dubai, would I need a negative pcr test to board the plane in bangkok?

As long as the destination country has no test requirement, you will not need any covid test.

3 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

As long as the destination country has no test requirement, you will not need any covid test.

For some flights, some airlines may require a test report even if the destination country does not require it.

4 hours ago, Puccini said:

For some flights, some airlines may require a test report even if the destination country does not require it.

True, but he asked specifically about emirates, departing from BKK.   As mentioned earlier, Emirates does not require any test if departing from Thailand.

• Like 1

My wife and I delayed our plans slightly. Test is now scheduled for this Sunday May 16th. It'll be a PCR test from Bangkok Hospital which we were told we can pick up the same day. Assuming all goes well we will be on a flight back to the USA on the morning of May 18th. Not planning to return until they allow vaccinated individuals to enter the country hassle free. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 10:31 AM, gosamgo said:

Where exactly can I get my negative coronavirus test done here in Pattaya?

prior to my flight to the UK with Thai Airways on 16th May? Anyone please?

The only place in Pattaya for the test is Bangkok-Pattaya hospital.  3800 baht.

On 5/12/2021 at 6:35 AM, wasabi said:

My wife and I delayed our plans slightly. Test is now scheduled for this Sunday May 16th. It'll be a PCR test from Bangkok Hospital which we were told we can pick up the same day. Assuming all goes well we will be on a flight back to the USA on the morning of May 18th. Not planning to return until they allow vaccinated individuals to enter the country hassle free. 

I have the same plans... testing on the 18th at MedConsult, leaving on the 20th to the USA, and won't return until vaccinated people are allowed to return with minimal to no restrictions. My one-year visa and re-entry permit don't expire until next March, so I have time.

Still worried about getting a false-positive on the PCR test because I believe that they use a very high cycle count here (40). The thought of being forced into a field hospital for 14 days is quite worrisome. I would rather get the "antigen" test because the risk of getting a false-positive is very low with that test. However, I don't want to get into a situation where I get denied at the airport for not having a PCR test (even though the antigen test is perfectly acceptable for getting into America).

JGA

2 hours ago, JGA said:

I have the same plans... testing on the 18th at MedConsult, leaving on the 20th to the USA, and won't return until vaccinated people are allowed to return with minimal to no restrictions. My one-year visa and re-entry permit don't expire until next March, so I have time.

Still worried about getting a false-positive on the PCR test because I believe that they use a very high cycle count here (40). The thought of being forced into a field hospital for 14 days is quite worrisome. I would rather get the "antigen" test because the risk of getting a false-positive is very low with that test. However, I don't want to get into a situation where I get denied at the airport for not having a PCR test (even though the antigen test is perfectly acceptable for getting into America).

JGA

I am worried about a false positive or even testing positive because I have Covid but am asymptomatic but I don't want any problems at the airport so I am going to take the PCR test. America has said they accept antigen or PCR but who knows what the staff is going to believe at the airport. If you don't have symptoms I believe ASQ Hotels are still an option. Hopefully I never need to find out.

If you have more information about the acceptance of Antigen tests to get out of Thailand into the US please post it here.

Edited by wasabi

2 hours ago, wasabi said:

I am worried about a false positive or even testing positive because I have Covid but am asymptomatic but I don't want any problems at the airport so I am going to take the PCR test. America has said they accept antigen or PCR but who knows what the staff is going to believe at the airport. If you don't have symptoms I believe ASQ Hotels are still an option. Hopefully I never need to find out.

If you have more information about the acceptance of Antigen tests to get out of Thailand into the US please post it here.

My girlfriend just called the Korean Air office in Bangkok. The employee who answered the phone asked for the destination country and when my girlfriend replied "America", the employee instantly said that only a negative antigen spit test is required. As stated previously in this thread, Emirates also has no specific requirements to board their planes in Thailand, other than following the testing rules of your final destination country. Don't know about Qatar and JAL (which are the only other two airlines offering flights to my destination city).

JGA

44 minutes ago, JGA said:

My girlfriend just called the Korean Air office in Bangkok. The employee who answered the phone asked for the destination country and when my girlfriend replied "America", the employee instantly said that only a negative antigen spit test is required. As stated previously in this thread, Emirates also has no specific requirements to board their planes in Thailand, other than following the testing rules of your final destination country. Don't know about Qatar and JAL (which are the only other two airlines offering flights to my destination city).

JGA

I will be flying JAL I see this on their website. There are 2 versions of the Antigen test. Quantitative and qualitative. I think I will just get the PCR to be sure.

Notice to all passengers departing for Japan - JAL International Flight

image.png.fbf8a5264444fb2ab25da0a0c9e663c3.png

Edited by wasabi

Here are a couple of PDFs from the CDC's web site that are useful for any flight to America...

Everybody is required to fill out the following "attestation" form and submit it to the airline at check-in...

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/Fillable-Attestation-English-p.pdf

Good checklist to make sure that you don't miss anything...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/pdf/Airline_Testing_Order_Checklist-p.pdf

JGA

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wasabi said:

I will be flying JAL I see this on their website. There are 2 versions of the Antigen test. Quantitative and qualitative. I think I will just get the PCR to be sure.

I believe that these rules are for actually entering Japan through immigration, not for boarding their planes in Thailand or for doing a short layover at the Tokyo airport before continuing on your final flight to America. However, the rules are not exactly clear about what the words "return" or "enter" mean if you are just transiting the airport.

The most common Antigen test used in Bangkok is the Abbott Panbio test, which is a qualitative test, so it wouldn't qualify for entering Japan. However, that doesn't mean that it's not good enough to get you to America on JAL. I would call the airline.

The following JAL web site specifically says that a PCR test is not required to transit through their airports...

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/flysafe/flights-service/quarantine-immigration/?m=coe06

Travelers connecting to an international flight

Travelers who are not entering Japan and transferring directly to a third country by transit, are not required to submit any documents and undergo PCR tests.

JGA

3 hours ago, JGA said:

Here are a couple of PDFs from the CDC's web site that are useful for any flight to America...

Everybody is required to fill out the following "attestation" form and submit it to the airline at check-in...

That form will be given to you at check in by the airline, so there is no reason to worry about it in advance.