Covid Insurance to enter Thailand if you already have existing Thai policy

hatyaiair

I have been been getting my health insurance from a Thai company AXA for years now with a total coverage considerably higher than the 100,000 USD required to enter Thailand .  I am currently on a Non-B visa.   I plan to travel home and return back to Thailand in 2 months.  My concern is proving that I have a health insurance policy that covers Covid.  My policy does not state that it specifically covers Covid.  When I talked to the company on the phone say that it does.  They refuse to provide me with a letter to state that my current policy will cover me for Covid. 

Has anyone been up against this issue when returning to Thailand and cannot prove they have the required minimum of $100,000 health insurance that will cover Covid?  If so how did you deal with it.  My concern is having the airline refuse me to board as this is one of the requirements.  As well having an issue at Thai immigration when I arrive.  How can I prove that my policy covers me for Covid if the insurance company refuses to give me a letter that states that. 

I have the same problem with my Aetna ins. I think the best solution is to buy a cheap covid insurance approved by immigration "for show only" and for short period (must be the period of your stay - visa period or outbound ticket). Thai like everything "for show" even if it is silly and worse than the real one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stapoz said:

I have the same problem with my Aetna ins. I think the best solution is to buy a cheap covid insurance approved by immigration "for show only" and for short period (must be the period of your stay - visa period or outbound ticket). Thai like everything "for show" even if it is silly and worse than the real one. 

Think I payed 6500 baht for the 90 days, peace of mind then going through immigration after the hard work of Getting your Coe.

• Like 1

My credit card cover me for 1 million euros. And it covered everything. Got it printed and was accepted yesterday. So check your cards I and their policies. I upgraded my card so I could get the insurance. Costs me 16 euros a month

The official approved Covid-19 insurance site is HERE, which is also where you can get an existing health & Covid-insurance verified; worth checking if you already have a health insurance that covers Covid-19.

I have medical insurance with Muang Thai. They provided a letter stating that my insurance includes COVID coverage and the policy limits (in English and Thai) when I asked for it. No problem. I have not travelled, so I don't know if this letter would be accepted by immigration, but I don't see any reason why they would not accept it. They could always call Muang Thai to check its validity.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, khunPer said:

The official approved Covid-19 insurance site is HERE, which is also where you can get an existing health & Covid-insurance verified; worth checking if you already have a health insurance that covers Covid-19.

The insurance prices on this website are very cheap.  However it does not say if it will cover asymptomatic cases where you are required to go to the hospital based on test results.  AXA is more expensive but it specifically states it would cover that.

2 hours ago, keithv said:

I have medical insurance with Muang Thai. They provided a letter stating that my insurance includes COVID coverage and the policy limits (in English and Thai) when I asked for it. No problem. I have not travelled, so I don't know if this letter would be accepted by immigration, but I don't see any reason why they would not accept it. They could always call Muang Thai to check its validity.

MTL gave me a 'certificate' with details of my COVID coverage - in effect it was a letter with a fancy header - and it was accepted.

The two stages for acceptance are the COE application and at the airport when checking in.  You can know if COE stage works before you travel, but at the airport it's unpredictable.

I think a document from the insurer confirming cover is needed to ensure a smooth check in.  Worth taking a second policy if your current insurer is unhelpful - and at next renewal find a better company.

My insurance company wrote me a letter the same day saying my policy covered me for covid as well . I'm in a similar position as you i have my whole family insured with international for considerably more than the 100 000 .. Obviously all insurers will be different but mine wasn't an issue they just had to send me a different copy of my policy with the specific wording of "covered for covid-19 for an amount exceeding US 100 000 dollars". You have said your company agrees maybe try a different person on a different day and explain why you need the letter?

Seems strange they would say your covered yet not provide the letter.

3 hours ago, wn78 said:

The insurance prices on this website are very cheap.  However it does not say if it will cover asymptomatic cases where you are required to go to the hospital based on test results.  AXA is more expensive but it specifically states it would cover that.

The link is to the government approved Covid insurances, and verification of other insurances covering Covid. If your travel or health insurance covering Covid is not verified, no matter what it covers and how much, they won't let you in.

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The link is to the government approved Covid insurances

You say insurances in plural, but when I click on Buy button and enter details, it gives a single price, I don't see multiple choices there.  I did not go through to the end though.

20 minutes ago, wn78 said:

You say insurances in plural, but when I click on Buy button and enter details, it gives a single price, I don't see multiple choices there.  I did not go through to the end though.

Insurance companies participating in the scheme include:

Assets Insurance Co Ltd (Thailand); Chubb Insurance Company Limited ( Thailand ); Navakij Insurance Co Ltd;  Pacific Cross Health Insurance, Thailand )  Falcon Insurance Co Ltd (Thailand ) East Insurance, Asia Insurance 1950; Bangkok Life Assurance Ltd; Thailand Life Insurance and Thailand Life Insurance.

Source LINK.

On 5/7/2021 at 6:59 AM, stapoz said:

"must be for the period of your stay". I am on an O visa with 11 months left, if I buy junk insurance to satisfy immigration that means I have to buy insurance for 11 months. Not cheap.

48 minutes ago, OzMan said:

"must be for the period of your stay". I am on an O visa with 11 months left, if I buy junk insurance to satisfy immigration that means I have to buy insurance for 11 months. Not cheap.

I thought of way round this, although I am not sure it will work. When I return from Europe have a refundable plane ticket to go back to Europe in, say, three weeks. Then, I only need buy COVID insurance for a month (minimum cover). When back in Thailand, cancel the full-fare flight back to Europe.