Extension of stay Marriage Visa - access to 400k after application

Just applied (May 5 ) for an extension of stay based on Non 'O' Marriage visa.
The 400K+ has been in the bank since January 2021 and before ( statement proves that ).

My visa runs out May 29 and the report back date is 28 June.

I was told not to reduce the account balance to less than 400K until I had the "stamp" on 28 June.
I am curious why this is necessary when the stated requirement is 400K at least 2 months before application, nothing said about having to leave it there "while under consideration"

Any ideas ?? Or is it a "quirk" of the local office ?

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, fishtank said:

Probably a quirk of your local office.

I have always dipped into it after application.

What do they expect you to live on?

What do you normally live on/or put funds back in for next year, it is only an extra month,  although I leave it till I've got my extension, they have never asked to see my bank book again, having said that on one occasion they wanted to see my bank book on the home visit. 

22 hours ago, osmond said:

Any ideas ?? Or is it a "quirk" of the local office ?

Kind of. The rule is to have the 400,000 in the bank for two months prior to application, but many offices have now made up their own unofficial rule that you also keep it there during the further month's consideration period. My own office changed the rule a week before I applied. The officer actually said to me, her exact words, "We are making it more difficult for you." Thanks. Having said that, and after telling me that the money had to remain there, I don't remember them checking it was still there when I collected the extension.

EDIT: My wife has reminded me that having to retain the 400,000 during consideration is in case the immigration department making the decision (there are, I believe, five nationwide) make a check. My own office introduced the rule as someone a week before had let his balance slip below 400,000 a couple of days before his application, the local office seemingly didn't notice and presumably got a dressing down from above.

So the thing to do is be prepared to keep it there for the three month period to satisfy their made-up rule.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2021 at 11:54 AM, Pib said:

Not a quirk of your local office....pretty standard across all/most offices.  Consider it immigration policy in implementing the basic requirement of having Bt400K two months before.   At CW (Bangkok) they require the same thing in that you need to show you still have Bt400K in the bank when you come back to get the marriage extension approval stamp--or at least for me last year when I switched from a retirement extension of stay to a marriage extension of stay. 

So, when the dust settles you need to plan to have the Bt400K in the bank two months before applying for the extension and then until you the approval stamp about a month after you apply.  Summary: plan on three months of not letting the balance drop below Bt400K.

I applied for a marriage extension last month on the 20th. Supposed to go back 21st this month to get my passport stamped. But got a call today to go to immigration and show them my bank book. Seemed a bit odd? Guess on 21st will have to show again?