The Strangeness Of My Local Gym

Richb2004v2

Grunting is unavoidable sometimes when working at a certain level, and keeping it in may be unhealthy. Contrary to my lighthearted posts before I do not grunt most of the time but it does slip out once in a while, however, it has neve been considered acceptable gym ettiquet in any country to drop weights. Not so much in the fitness palaces, but in real bodybuilding gyms the owner will get most irate if you drop his weights on the floor or let his machine weights keep smashing down.

I've never had a problem in any gyms I've been to in Muang Thai. Must be the type of gym I go to but the vast majority of the guys in there are working out properly; some grunt, some don't, some bang the weights, some don't... some even sweat, God forbid. Sounds like some of you guys are visiting the ponsy city ones where most are there to socialize. OP, looks like this guy doesn't really want you in there but obviously enjoys the dosh. I certainly wouldn't be paying over the odds for it even if it was the only one for miles... do yourself a favour and get out of there. A hundred press-ups and sit-ups morning & night, a wheel, two large bottles of H2O and a bike will keep you well in shape :o

Slamming weights was the cool thing to do in high school. But beyond that it is just an announcement to the more seasoned that you cannot handle the weight. Besides being a telltale sign of a newbie it goes against gym etiquette pretty universally. Just google it and you will see. Modern technique doesn't lend itself to slamming weights anyway. In resistance training you push against the return to make it slow and even to compound the benefits of each rep. But if you are just at the gym to try to look cool in a high schoolish attention drawing way, then slam away.

Job Vacancy - Personal Trainer

Male

Thai National

Age 20-25

No heavier than 60KGs

No muscles required

Must not be able to bench more than 20KGs

Must have a boofy J-Pop Hairdo

No training requried, shirt with "personal trainer" embroidered on it will qualify you

Must be able to stand around, do nothing and generally be an obstruction with maximum proficiency

Must have cellphone, the louder the ringtone the better

:o

Male

Thai National

Age 20-25

No heavier than 60KGs

No muscles required

No training requried, shirt with "personal trainer" embroidered on it will qualify you

Must be able to stand around, do nothing and generally be an obstruction with maximum proficiency

:D

Those fey, androgynous J-pop haircuts really do mark the wearers out as lightweights of the highest order, don't they?

Male

Thai National

Age 20-25

No heavier than 60KGs

No muscles required

:D

Those fey, androgynous J-pop haircuts really do mark the wearers out as lightweights of the highest order, don't they?

fleaweights :D Their hair fibres are stronger than their muscle fibres.

Slamming wights etc. It seems to me, Thais find any loud noises to be a loss of face. I guess it shows a lack of control etc & that just makes them nervous. But it sure does not matter how loud the music is at local neighborhood parties.

It doesn't seem to bother them when it comes to beeping/sounding their hooters/horns in their cars or motorbikes every 10 seconds either !

Edited by keebone

Male

Thai National

Age 20-25

No heavier than 60KGs

No muscles required

If only one TV in training area, must sit right in front of it and constantly change channels so members can't enjoy it or forget how boring the exercises are.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I can't physically drag myself along to a gym but there is one nearby where I live and I can't help but chuckle, it is just a converted shop front but is always busy, the equipment is a joke, several times I've passed by I have seen people with a blue plastic water pipe hung on their shoulders, what on earth is that doing? It's only about 3cms in diametre :o

The only fan in the gym is going so slowly it could be powered by the rising heat, however nobody in the gym is sweating, what they are doing though is all looking very serious and making no eye contact with anybody else in the gym, it all looks very funny, I'm not sure they are in there to work out, I think they are in there to show their faces.

Some of you might know it, it's near the junction of 'saam yaek fai chai' in Bangkok Noi... opposite the 333 club, take a look next time you're there :D

I several times I've passed by I have seen people with a blue plastic water pipe hung on their shoulders, what on earth is that doing? It's only about 3cms in diametre :D

They are doing hip twists and stretching exercises and that plastic pipe is perfect for it. :o

I several times I've passed by I have seen people with a blue plastic water pipe hung on their shoulders, what on earth is that doing? It's only about 3cms in diametre :D

They are doing hip twists and stretching exercises and that plastic pipe is perfect for it. :o

I thought there'd be a reasonable explanation, it still looks quaint all of it though :D

You can get a decent workout with cheap equipment. :o

You can get a great workout with NO equipment.

When I was in the army many moons ago it was pressups,situps,loads of running and walking,swimming(calm and heavy surf),h2h combat sparring etc.... and I was CUT.

My biggest gripe in Thai gyms, much more than any mentioned previously, is people sitting on the machines *doing nothing* for ages on end.

10 reps, sit on the machine for 5 minutes. Do another 10 reps, then another 5 minute break. Continue until the first drop of sweat is felt.

Guess people are worried about loosing the machine they're currently working on, but just imagine - for a second - if it was gym policy to give up your machine when finished...?

Most people like to do 2-3 sets per machine. Taking a rest in between the sets to give your muscles a chance to recover and to get your mind ready for the next set is normal imo. However, if someone is really taking 5 minutes to rest before doing their next set, then that really is a bit extreme!

My biggest gripe in Thai gyms, much more than any mentioned previously, is people sitting on the machines *doing nothing* for ages on end.

10 reps, sit on the machine for 5 minutes. Do another 10 reps, then another 5 minute break. Continue until the first drop of sweat is felt.

Guess people are worried about loosing the machine they're currently working on, but just imagine - for a second - if it was gym policy to give up your machine when finished...?

Any more than a minute of rest between sets is being a pain to the other gym users. Just ask them to move. I do and have never had a problem.

You grunters: Ever try controlled bursts of air, as in "exhale for exertion motions, inhale on the recovery motion?" I thought that was standard. Does away with the need to sound like you're giving childbirth. Disgusting. :o

...and there is nothing worse than finally getting access to a machine only to find bucket loads of sweat all over the seat or bench.

Why can't those training take the time to wipe clean their own mess off the equipment before walking away.

.........and use a deodorant under your arms too :D

Ok,ok, I've had my gripe. I feel better now. :o

...and there is nothing worse than finally getting access to a machine only to find bucket loads of sweat all over the seat or bench.

Why can't those training take the time to wipe clean their own mess off the equipment before walking away.

Apart from the lack of consideration in cleaning up after using a machine, I have found many things different in Thai and Korean gyms than the West. But, I really don't care that others have different motivation, routines, habits, or anything else for that matter when they work out. If it doesn't affect me, it is none of my business.

I don't like that they sit on machines when not using them, often talking to friends. If they are using a bench just to sit on, I ask if I can use it, they always oblige. Not a big enough issue to get my panties in a bunch.

One thing about living in a Buddhist country if you really put forth the effort is you learn to not use the cognitive process from the West of judging everything you encounter. Much less stress that way.

Something I've never seen in thai gyms is anti-bacterial spray bottles stationed around the gym.

I always wipe, I also lay hand towels on the equipment prior to using it.