The Strangeness Of My Local Gym

Richb2004v2

I have been using a gym locally for the past two and a half years. It's a very, very basic gym. Most of the equipment is poorly designed and home made, but it does the job. As far as I know I'm the only non-Thai visiting the gym. The guy charges me five times more than he charges Thais, but that's still only 100 baht, so no big deal. It's the only gym in the area so I have no choice.

I find the gym etiquette to be totally different to any I have experienced before. Several times I have been asked to take care when putting the weights down on the floor. This is very difficult to do if you are working out hard. I don't drop the weights, but they are steel and hard to put down without some sort of noise. The guy is concerned about the concrete floor. I was also asked not to be rough with the machines. This was when I was using the only properly manufactured, heavy duty machine. It's a bit annoying really. I'd like to tell him to stick his gym, but as I say it's the only gym around. I have worked out in many, many different gyms in different countries, but this is the first time I have experienced this. The guy is friendly enough its just this one annoyance..

I also find the Thais strange when they work out. They talk to each other, but never ever ask each other for any help. I have never seen two Thais exercise together. They will struggle and struggle but never ask for assistance, and nor do they offer it to each other. I have never even seen the guy that owns the gym assist anyone except me, when I ask. I do help them if I see them really struggling and in danger of dropping the weight. I wonder if this goes back to the Thais aversion to exposing themselves as not knowing something. My Thai wife was the same in the gym in UK. She would never ask for help or advice. They also never make any straining noises, which is kind of a natural thing really

What experiences have other TV members had in Gyms? I guess that it may be different in better gyms.

I have been using a gym locally for the past two and a half years. It's a very, very basic gym. Most of the equipment is poorly designed and home made, but it does the job. As far as I know I'm the only non-Thai visiting the gym. The guy charges me five times more than he charges Thais, but that's still only 100 baht, so no big deal. It's the only gym in the area so I have no choice.

I find the gym etiquette to be totally different to any I have experienced before. Several times I have been asked to take care when putting the weights down on the floor. This is very difficult to do if you are working out hard. I don't drop the weights, but they are steel and hard to put down without some sort of noise. The guy is concerned about the concrete floor. I was also asked not to be rough with the machines. This was when I was using the only properly manufactured, heavy duty machine. It's a bit annoying really. I'd like to tell him to stick his gym, but as I say it's the only gym around. I have worked out in many, many different gyms in different countries, but this is the first time I have experienced this. The guy is friendly enough its just this one annoyance..

I also find the Thais strange when they work out. They talk to each other, but never ever ask each other for any help. I have never seen two Thais exercise together. They will struggle and struggle but never ask for assistance, and nor do they offer it to each other. I have never even seen the guy that owns the gym assist anyone except me, when I ask. I do help them if I see them really struggling and in danger of dropping the weight. I wonder if this goes back to the Thais aversion to exposing themselves as not knowing something. My Thai wife was the same in the gym in UK. She would never ask for help or advice. They also never make any straining noises, which is kind of a natural thing really

What experiences have other TV members had in Gyms? I guess that it may be different in better gyms.

Well mate not been to many Thai Gym's as I used to have the equipment @ home. BUT after reading this I thought of the time when my GF and I were touring (and lost in) an unfamiliar part of Thailand. She would absolutely not ask anybodies help for directions / advice etc. When I told her that I would ask instead she replied "only stupid people ask questions". So there you go, I think it is all a matter of face. If you grunt when you lift weights then you must be weak etc etc. Only my take on it though but I'm sure there is some truth to it.

how necessary is grunting - at my last gym there was a really loud american guy who would grunt so loudly that you could here him from any point in the gym; his other annoying habit was using all the heavy weights and never putting them back.

Good point and one of the many why I would work out from home.

I have used quite a few gyms here and varying results. The one thing I have noticed is skinny thai guys working out and then going to the changing room and dressing in their working suit without taking a shower. I find this quite disgusting.

Also the thai girls and boys who go to the gym and sit on the bicycles reading a magazine for 30 mins and consider this a workout.

The mentality is not the same here. These people do not observe the same gym ettiquette as us.

Of all the gyms I have worked out in, I have met 2 guys who worked out properly, and have met not one (instructor) who knew what the hel_l they were doing.

Grunting and dropping the weights on the floor is totally unnecessary in a non-competitive setting. If one has to grunt, then they are probably lifting too much. Lifting slightly lesser weight and performing more repetitions is the more desirable way to get one's exercise, to build endurance, and physique.

The gym owner however should know better than to have concrete floors. He should have rubber matting to protect the floor and the weights.

In the US I have never seen a sign posted on the wall concerning "grunting", but it is not uncommon to see signs asking members not to bang, drop, slam or otherwise abuse the weights. Also there is always a friendly reminder sign to return free weights to their proper place (on the rack or stack).

Rubber mats protect concrete floor - if the gym doesnt have this then well I can understand him worrying. BTW I drop my weights all the time - least the dumbells.

You'd think with the extra money he's scamming of him that he's invest in at least one rubber mat.

Weight training is all about control.

If you pick up a heavy barbell or dumbell from the floor, you should be able to complete your repetitions and place the weight back onto the floor in a controlled manner. If you can't do this then the weight you are using is too heavy.

Olympic weight lifters lift the weight, steady themselves whilst holding the weight over head, then when they get the buzzer, drop the weight onto the floor.

The floors are sprung and the weights are plastic/rubber covered so that no damage is caused whilst they compete.

A local gym owner can supply rubber mats but the sharpness of the discs, both on barbells and dumbells, soon cut into the rubber if heavy weights are continuously dropped. Additionally, dropping equipment onto a hard floor will eventually destroy the equipment. It is not designed to be used in this way.

Heavy weights alone don't build muscle. Proper technique along with using a resistance that allows the muscle to work through its full range gets the best result.

If you can just squeeze out the last repetition and then place the weights gently on the ground, you are using the correct weight.

Edited by Mighty Mouse

I use a similarly rather basic gym. It annoys me when the one treadmill running machine is occupied for an hour by someone performing a very sedate walk. I wish they'd just get a dog and share the joy.

"Working out" for a lot of Thais seems to be more about style than substance. Fancy that, eh? :o

You should count yourself lucky. I have used a variety of gyms here over the years. One local Thai gym asked would I not mind sweating on the treadmill during a 30 minute run. The gym was non air con and I trained at 4pm. The fact that I always cleaned it up didn't matter.

Another local Thai gym charged me 100% more than Thais. When asked why this was, they first stated I didn't pay tax, so I had to pay more. When I produced my tax returns and shown that I paid more tax each month than most earned in there, I was given the reason that I was bigger and stronger, 100% stronger, so I pay 1005 more. You have to love the ingenious. I left straight away and I was one of their first customers. This is amazing Thailand.

I know use the big chain gyms, better service and less hassle. Plus the equipment is better.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

how necessary is grunting - at my last gym there was a really loud american guy who would grunt so loudly that you could here him from any point in the gym; his other annoying habit was using all the heavy weights and never putting them back.

I have always found these grunters to be annoying as heck. They are just showing off. No real need for it! :o

I have always found these grunters to be annoying as heck. They are just showing off. No real need for it! :o

How necessary are televisions blaring either ........ my gym has about 6 or 7 ceiling mounted tvs, all individually controlled. Generally farangs leave them turned off but often Thais will turn them ALL on at high volume on different channels. It is bedlam!

This is an "upscale" (costly, western prices) gym and recently the management has contracted with some business to open the gym to their employees, most of whom had never visited a gym before. No gym etiquette doesn't begin to describe the rudeness, confusion, injuries and carelessness that has resulted from this decision. There is nobody there to train the newcomers. As they work together they also socialize instead of working out. There are only two treadmills and a "couple" will commandeer both and walk together for over an hour at a time enjoying a conversation. After respectfully asking one of the treadmill long-time tenants when he might be finished and getting only silence in return, I did speak to a staff member and was told it "depend on his spirit". That just about covers it. I will not renew.

I have always found these grunters to be annoying as heck. They are just showing off. No real need for it! :D

grunters totally put me off too. soft moaning is more appropriate :o

that was inevitable

Thais and gyms are largely a complete joke. There are the odd exceptions, but they are the minority.

Their concept of exercise involves doing very little, talking on their cellphone,looking pretty,not pushing themselves in the slightest and heavens forbid should a bead of sweat drop on their forehead.

Ever seen how much thai guys bench ? haha.

Maybe they are just not used to banging the weights because they simply never load the bars up with enough weight in the first place.

And as for thai personal trainers ? Never trust a skinny chef right...well, I dont trust personal trainers who are built like toothpicks. Stick to the pilates boys.

:o

I recal around the first time i used the gym at my complex, i was jogging on the treadmill at an easy pace when in comes a thai guy in regular looking clothes and rubber flip-flops. I glanced in his direction and was a bit surprised when he got the treadmill next to me. I figured fair enough, and guessed he would be walking a little. But, within seconds he began to jog...in his flip-flops! :o

I have also noticed that in general I dont see many people doing warm up or cool down or stretching. Maybe in a big gym it would be different, but this is only a small free gym.

I too see a lot of the social aspect going on. Friends coming in together for example and doing not so much but talking. I generally just go away and come back later when that happens as there is little chance of me getting on the machine i want to for some time.

Mind you, thias seem to have healthy body weight and generally look younger than their ages, so begs the question, is their approach to some things like exercise actually the better one?!^^

I have to admit though that I have used "fitness centre" style gyms in the UK and the same thing happens, women mainly sitting on exercise bikes and walking on treadmills whilst having a conversation. I first started wearing headphones just to stop people trying to talk to me while I was training. The only way around this was for me to drive further away to go to a hardcore gym where people are serious about their training. It's not just a Thailand thing.

I cant comment about the gym but I have stopped and asked directions (well the wife has) several times and been told " yes just up the road" and guess what??? nothing there, still at least my wife didnt mind asking which suggest she is not averse to losing face.

I recal around the first time i used the gym at my complex, i was jogging on the treadmill at an easy pace when in comes a thai guy in regular looking clothes and rubber flip-flops. I glanced in his direction and was a bit surprised when he got the treadmill next to me. I figured fair enough, and guessed he would be walking a little. But, within seconds he began to jog...in his flip-flops! :D

I have also noticed that in general I dont see many people doing warm up or cool down or stretching. Maybe in a big gym it would be different, but this is only a small free gym.

I too see a lot of the social aspect going on. Friends coming in together for example and doing not so much but talking. I generally just go away and come back later when that happens as there is little chance of me getting on the machine i want to for some time.

Mind you, thias seem to have healthy body weight and generally look younger than their ages, so begs the question, is their approach to some things like exercise actually the better one?!^^

A lot of Thais seem to have good body shape and seemingly healthy weight, but have high cholesterol counts. Quite a few of my staff at work have this problem, only alerted to the fact from their annual medical check.

High blood pressure and diabetes is also rising rapidly in Thailand. :o

I have worked out for four years in Thai fitness centers and I believe all of the OP's complaints reflect cultural differences. The first time I loudly stacked my weights on the floor after taking them off the weight bar, the attendant rushed all the way down from his office (20 meters) to see who had suffered an accident! Seeing it was just the dumb farang, he gave me one glare and went back to his video games.

My advice: When in Rome do as the Romans do. Gently stack your weights and stop grunting. :o

Edited by toptuan

To be practical for a second, if you live here and have a spare room at your condo/house, you could probably kit out a half decent private workout facility for 300K baht (free weights(dumbells,bench), mats, treadmill, mounted pull up bar,mirror,stretching station,cycling machine,punching bag etc.... )

I was toying with the idea, but my current gym is not too bad (my previous one was a joke.)

Edited by kiakaha

Weight training is all about control.

If you pick up a heavy barbell or dumbell from the floor, you should be able to complete your repetitions and place the weight back onto the floor in a controlled manner. If you can't do this then the weight you are using is too heavy.

Olympic weight lifters lift the weight, steady themselves whilst holding the weight over head, then when they get the buzzer, drop the weight onto the floor.

The floors are sprung and the weights are plastic/rubber covered so that no damage is caused whilst they compete.

A local gym owner can supply rubber mats but the sharpness of the discs, both on barbells and dumbells, soon cut into the rubber if heavy weights are continuously dropped. Additionally, dropping equipment onto a hard floor will eventually destroy the equipment. It is not designed to be used in this way.

Heavy weights alone don't build muscle. Proper technique along with using a resistance that allows the muscle to work through its full range gets the best result.

If you can just squeeze out the last repetition and then place the weights gently on the ground, you are using the correct weight.

Lifting weights is about control and proper technique - full range of motion is imperative. However dropping weights after completion of set is rather common and has no bearing on if its too heavy. In a proper gym all the muscle heads - drop their weights a foot or so after completing last rep.

Mats are nearly an inch thick all over the free weight part of most gyms, so concrete nor equipment isnt in any danger.

At least there's nobody big enough to stop me grunting in my gym if i want to :o:D

Grunting always sounds like the prelude to a rectal prolapse common amongst power-lifters. (I'd post a pic, but its just toooooo horrible!) :D

I have yet to see Thais work out, but I have seen the Chinese "idea" of working out. Basically swinging the arms around, beding over a few times and that is about it. They carry a towel with them and a big bottle of water in order to keep hydrated.

It seems dumb to me, but lets talk about facts. There are a lot more obese westerners than asians?!

Slamming wights etc. It seems to me, Thais find any loud noises to be a loss of face. I guess it shows a lack of control etc & that just makes them nervous. But it sure does not matter how loud the music is at local neighborhood parties.