Language Translation - Why Sometimes It Is Just Plain Funny

@Thomas J

The same happened to me, when I first came to Thailand and didn't know a word of Thai.

A Thai guy whipped out a translator in his handphone and started talking to it. The translation was rubbish.

Google translator or whatever translator won't be as smart as a human. They are just machines, they can translate simple words or sentences correctly but not every complicated sentence in the language.

That's something that most people don't understand.

Edited by EricTh

On my phone I have a good translator downloaded from an on line site it is very good. 

Had this discussion before the app on the screen is 2 round shapes one with a Thai flag and the other with a Union Jack and says translate underneath,  it works very well, had no problem when using it. 

The problem with Thailand translation is they use so many words just to say a simple one word English 'please'  for just one example.

When I put 'please' about 9 different words in Thai come up, I  just use the one I know, IMHO to be kind the Thai language is well over top and too complicated, no wonder kids have a problem with English there too busy learning Thai. 

• Like 1

Google is overstrained by that quite unusal differing male/female pronoun (pŏm / chăn).

If you let it translate "my name is Marc" it will sound to Thai people as if you are a female/ladyboy ????

I didn't find a trick to have it selected/switched to male.

Edited by KhunBENQ