To Help An Aussie

65 year old Australian who has lived here for 13 years and has managed to get a Non Immig O every year by popping back to Australia has been told by a Thai consulate (I don't know which city) that he has been refused due to insufficient funds in his bank account. He lives with a Thai lady and her kids and everyone is in a right state over this. He is not married. The consulate told him that the rules changed on 3 April. Can you give me some words of wisdom to pass to him ? he is stuck in Australia now but could come back on a tourist visa but with his limited funds this would only be a short term fix. I have heard that Brisbane is issuing visas without problems, so i am guessing he is in SYD or MEL.

Thanks for any news/info/advice that I can pass on to him

Sorry to hear about his circumstances.

I would recommend that he get on the phone to some of the other consulates in Australia, and ask them exactly what paperwork they require.

I got a Non Imm O in Brisbane pretty easliy, but did have payslips to prove income etc when i applied.

Without knowing his financial situation, it is difficult to offer too much advice.

As you have stated, he can come back on Visa Exempt entries for 3 months, and possibly do the tourist Visa thing for a while.

This will not help his financial situation though, with all of the travelling involved.

I know they have tightened up a bit in Brisbane but that is his best shot. Send me a PM and I will give you the name of the guy to call in Brisbane, he was very helpfull to me and gave me my first Non O based on having a Thai fiance. He is married to a Thai and knows what we go through, so they will help out if the can, but if they want to see money in the bank, your mate could be screwed anyway......................

I know they have tightened up a bit in Brisbane but that is his best shot. Send me a PM and I will give you the name of the guy to call in Brisbane, he was very helpfull to me and gave me my first Non O based on having a Thai fiance. He is married to a Thai and knows what we go through, so they will help out if the can, but if they want to see money in the bank, your mate could be screwed anyway......................

Sydney has been difficult for about a year or so in that he (thai guy who replaced young indian thai lady) adds hi own requirements just to show he is in charge ( not wrong just a pain) even for the fully qualified he asks for little extras and makes the process laborious rather than a pleasant experience.

Brisbane is good but if not on the "grandfathered" trail he should only require monthly income 40000 between him and his spouse. The trick is how do you tell them this nicely??? :o