Vaccine availability in Chiang Mai

edwarda909

This is the current situation regarding  warners getting vaccinated in Chiang Mai, not including individuals with pink  ID cards     Chiang Mai public health office is constructing a webpage that should be up and running by May 24. There will be a link at Chiang Mai Public Health office website to take you there.  Chiang Mai public health office is constructing a webpage that should be up and running by May 24. There will be a link at Chiang Mai Public Health office website to take you there.   Chiangmaihealth.go.th.     First priority is vaccination of Thai citizens.      Currently there are just two vaccines that are approved by the FDA.   Despite what people may be being told, at the current time, it is anticipated that vaccines will not be available to non-Thais until the  beginning of August. Of course, nothing is written in stone, Everyone understands this is a fluid situation. Between now and August it is quite conceivable that other vaccines will be approved. Also, there may be a large influx of vaccines donated from first world countries to Thailand which would then hopefully make them available to non-Thais before August.   The take-home messages is to begin checking the website in the next 7 to 10 days  to register.   (There has been some recent talk that  non-Thaii individuals may have the option of contacting private hospitals and purchasing the vaccine. But you  will need to verify that on your own.) If you require verification of the above statements,  or require additional information,  please feel free to phone Chiang Mai public health department Monday when they reopen.

22 hours ago, edwarda909 said:

Currently there are just two vaccines that are approved by the FDA.  

Four vaccines have been approved by the Thai FDA: Astra Zeneca, Sinovac, Johnson & Johnson, and Moderna. Only the first two currently have any doses in country, though.

53 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Four vaccines have been approved by the Thai FDA: Astra Zeneca, Sinovac, Johnson & Johnson, and Moderna. Only the first two currently have any doses in country, though.

Thanks for the update

I’m over 60. I don’t have a Pink Card.  I registered in person to receive Covid vaccine in Chiang Mai at the Siri-Wattana Market on the second floor.  The provincial health department had everything set up for in-person registration there.  When I arrived there were four people ahead of me, one was a Brit.  I used my USA passport.  Everyone registering, Thai and foreigners alike, were advised to watch the department website for information on how to, as the next step, schedule the jabs.  “Coming very soon” was the mantra.

I don't know if I am allowed to post a link to an article on voanews.com entitled "Overseas and Overlooked" or not.  The article discusses the dilemma faced by American residents of Thailand in trying to be vaccinated.  It quotes a statement by the Thai Health Service on May 6th saying that everyone residing in Thailand will be vaccinated.  It doesnt say anything about the order in which residents will be vaccinated so it neatly skips over the declaration by various authorities that Thai people will be vaccinated first, at least in some areas.  There doesn't appear to be any desire on the part of American officials to come to the aid of American Expats.

The Biden administration is sending PPE, ventilators and other equipment to India and may send some of the ten of millions of AsrtaZenica doses in Baltimore but there appears to be no desire to send vaccines to Thailand for expats.

IMO, the omission of the information that Thais will take priority over foreigners needs to be remedied.  Maybe that can only be done through the popular press such as the NYT or Washington Post.  Should we appeal to the FCCT to help fill the information gap?

I registered at our village health centre on Thursday, today I was telephoned by a health official. Because her English was no better than my Thai my sister-in-law spoke to her. I can expect an appointment in July and the vaccine will be AstraZenica. I expressed my satisfaction with that.

11 hours ago, Tracyb said:

I’m over 60. I don’t have a Pink Card.  I registered in person to receive Covid vaccine in Chiang Mai at the Siri-Wattana Market on the second floor.  The provincial health department had everything set up for in-person registration there.  When I arrived there were four people ahead of me, one was a Brit.  I used my USA passport.  Everyone registering, Thai and foreigners alike, were advised to watch the department website for information on how to, as the next step, schedule the jabs.  “Coming very soon” was the mantra.

This is looking increasingly like a PR exercise aimed at calming the masses of foreigners who took umbrage at the Thai's first statement. In practice I don't think much has changed other than foreigners registration data is being collected whilst a new system that permits foreigners to be registered, is developed. It's what it is, not much point in complaining. 

15 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

I don't know if I am allowed to post a link to an article on voanews.com entitled "Overseas and Overlooked" or not.  The article discusses the dilemma faced by American residents of Thailand in trying to be vaccinated.  It quotes a statement by the Thai Health Service on May 6th saying that everyone residing in Thailand will be vaccinated.  It doesnt say anything about the order in which residents will be vaccinated so it neatly skips over the declaration by various authorities that Thai people will be vaccinated first, at least in some areas.  There doesn't appear to be any desire on the part of American officials to come to the aid of American Expats.

The Biden administration is sending PPE, ventilators and other equipment to India and may send some of the ten of millions of AsrtaZenica doses in Baltimore but there appears to be no desire to send vaccines to Thailand for expats.

IMO, the omission of the information that Thais will take priority over foreigners needs to be remedied.  Maybe that can only be done through the popular press such as the NYT or Washington Post.  Should we appeal to the FCCT to help fill the information gap?

Latest info-  14/5/2021. This is the current situation regarding  non-Thais getting vaccinated in Chiang Mai, not including individuals with pink  ID cards     Chiang Mai public health office is constructing a webpage that should be up and running by May 24. There will be a link at Chiang Mai Public Health office website to take you there.  Chiang Mai public health office is constructing a webpage that should be up and running by May 24. There will be a link at Chiang Mai Public Health office website to take you there.   Chiangmaihealth.go.th.     First priority is vaccination of Thai citizens.      Currently there are just two vaccines that are approved by the FDA.   Despite what people may be being told, at the current time, it is anticipated that vaccines will not be available to non-Thais until the  beginning of August. Of course, nothing is written in stone, Everyone understands this is a fluid situation. Between now and August it is quite conceivable that other vaccines will be approved. Also, there may be a large influx of vaccines donated from first world countries to Thailand which would then hopefully make them available to non-Thais before August.   The take-home messages is to begin checking the website in the next 7 to 10 days  to register.   (There has been some recent talk that  non-Thaii individuals may have the option of contacting private hospitals and purchasing the vaccine. But you  will need to verify that on your own.) If you require verification of the above statements,  or require additional information,  please feel free to phone Chiang Mai public health department Monday when they reopen.

So the unavailability of the vaccines to foreigners until August probably holds true.  I had hoped that the vaccines would be available to all residents over 60 with no nationalty being prioritized.  I know this is the Chiang Mai forum but I actually live in Bangkok.  I am on the waiting list of two hospitals here but neither of them have vaccines available to foreigners yet.  I will hope for vaccines becoming available here before August due to a greater supply than anticipated through foreign donations or some other unanticipated source.  I will try waiting it out since my other country of residence, Japan, now has a large outbreak too.  They are vaccinating the elderly there without discrimination as to nationality although their supplies of the vaccines are limited too.

Since the infection rate here remains under one percent, I will probably be OK if I am safe and lucky.

Thanks for your advice.

3 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

So the unavailability of the vaccines to foreigners until August probably holds true.  I had hoped that the vaccines would be available to all residents over 60 with no nationalty being prioritized.  I know this is the Chiang Mai forum but I actually live in Bangkok.  I am on the waiting list of two hospitals here but neither of them have vaccines available to foreigners yet.  I will hope for vaccines becoming available here before August due to a greater supply than anticipated through foreign donations or some other unanticipated source.  I will try waiting it out since my other country of residence, Japan, now has a large outbreak too.  They are vaccinating the elderly there without discrimination as to nationality although their supplies of the vaccines are limited too.

Since the infection rate here remains under one percent, I will probably be OK if I am safe and lucky.

Thanks for your advice.

This is the current status as explained by the Health Dept    august is the tentative date when vaccines will be available to non-Thais on the same basis as for Thais-  i.e., for free. If you want to pay in the neighborhood of 3000 baht or more, go to your local health care/private hospital and get on their list. @ entirely different groups.m. Good luck