900 $ charge on my Thai issued credit card which is not mine: advice anyone

More than 2 weeks ago I got a message from my bank  of a debit on my credit card amounting to 900 US $. Appears this was incurred in  the USA. A few minutes before this transaction another charge at a different  USA outlet which was reversed.

The card was issued in Thailand where I live long time.

The outlets named I cannot find anything from a google search.

As soon as I saw this charge I phoned the card center and my card was stopped, and I have made numerous calls and sent letters via email and I have a new credit card but the credit card company have transferred this debit to my new card.

900  $= over 28,000 baht

I still have the old card and I am at a loss to understood how the rogue charge was incurred and why and who authorised it at the Bank/credit card company.

I am distressed and angry I have always been careful with my credit cards. When I got my new card a few days ago I filled in a form to confirm again this charge has nothing to do with me.

But the charge is still on my new card and will incur interest soon.

Any advice?

Thank u.

Edited by homeseeker

Is it visa or mastercard? I don't know how a Thai bank handles this. When I have had a problem in the States, they remove the charge and asked me to contact the merchant. If I can not get the problem worked out with them then they make a call. If they can't fix it. The charge goes back on your card. May have to go to small claims court.

Much the same happened to me in UK it seemed to me at the time the Visa credit card consider you guilty until proven not guilty even though they issued a new card. 

After there investigation what was not something to do with me they removed the amount and interest from my balance. 

I had it with BKK bank, payments in Malaysia while I was in Bangkok.
I made a police report proving I was in Thailand at the time.
Had to insist but got all the money back.

Edited by orchis

1 hour ago, homeseeker said:

Any advice?

Don't pay the $900.

If you still use the card just leave the $900 outstanding, if they charge you interest, bin the card and don't pay any more bills from them. Credit card debt is a gentlemans agreement between you and the card issuer, you don't have to pay (even if you really owe the money).

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Joe2050 said:

Don't worry, it's normal in fact, it will remain listed during investigations by your bank, just ignore this amount when you pay your next statement. Happened the same to me... Finally you won't have to pay for this fraud.

That's how I found it to be and mine is a Thai issued card.

I was given the option regards paying it on my statement which I chose to do as it wasn't a massive amount.

It took two months but they refunded. It showed on my statements as an outstanding matter.

Like another poster,I enjoy the benefits my card affords and didn't want to upset the apple cart.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks  for all the helpful replies.

As Sherly  suggested I will  take this to a higher level, firmly but politely.

I need to try to be patient and ignore the charge(as in particular Joe2050 suggests) until they sort it, though at some time I may ask them to provide me with full details of how this debit  arose; and as Scouse123 says I will try not to upset the cart or to put it another way "not throw the baby out with the bathwater."

Good karma tah Scouse: like a goalie scoring the winning goal with the last action of the match?
Well done!

Cheers,

????

Edited by homeseeker