Keyboard Has a Mind of Its Own

Neeranam

For one week, my keyboard has been playing up, the 'n' and 'b' keys and spacebar stop working, as well as the '?'.

So I took it to the shop I bought it and guess what, the keys work perfectly. I felt stupid and couldn't do much but tried again in my car and it didn't work so took it to another shop and when I got there, it started working again, I mean the 'n' and 'b' keys. 

They said they can't clean the keys(DELL Inspiron 15 5000).

I have no idea what to do, working better now but still some sticking. Could it be a software issue? I checked the drivers were up to date.

It is only 10 months old too! 

First update the BIOS with the latest copy from Dell. Your laptop has an issue that when certain key combinations being pressed in quick succession, it will miss the keystrokes of some. Maybe that is your issue.

If you suspect a hardware issue, just replace the keyboard. You should be able to find compatible spares online for around 300 baht. Then bring it to your shop to replace it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wprime said:

First update the BIOS with the latest copy from Dell. Your laptop has an issue that when certain key combinations being pressed in quick succession, it will miss the keystrokes of some. Maybe that is your issue.

If you suspect a hardware issue, just replace the keyboard. You should be able to find compatible spares online for around 300 baht. Then bring it to your shop to replace it.

Thaks, theguy  in the  shop said  it  is too difficult to change the keyboard! 

9 minutes ago, wprime said:

Does the BIOS really affect the keyboard? At 10 months old, is it not under on-site warranty

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I would prefer   nottosendit  away as Innneed  it  forwork

Is the first year warrant ON-SITE? Looks like the space bar has given up as well.

Edited by KannikaP

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

So strange, I wonnnder if it's annythinng   to  do   with number of tabs open?

Shut some of them down then and see if the problem still exists.

2 minutes ago, setbkk said:

I've always used an external keyboard and mouse. Necessary if doing any serious work. Not expensive.

Not expensive if you get a cheap one which will go tits-up in 10 months. Get a good one, it's the only way you communicate with your PC.

Edited by KannikaP

Get external USB keyboard. Plug it in. When the internal keyboard is acting up, is external one working normally or acting up the same way? If external one is working but internal isn't, then it has nothing to do with number of tabs open.

Call Dell and ask for service, and if you have on-site repair, ask for a spare unit while you wait.

If they don't have either (no onsite nor a spare), buy HP or Asus next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2021 at 4:43 PM, tomazbodner said:

Get external USB keyboard. Plug it in. When the internal keyboard is acting up, is external one working normally or acting up the same way? If external one is working but internal isn't, then it has nothing to do with number of tabs open.

Call Dell and ask for service, and if you have on-site repair, ask for a spare unit while you wait.

If they don't have either (no onsite nor a spare), buy HP or Asus next time.

The external KB is the easiest method to check. 

If your KB proves defective,  claim your warranty ASAP.

Edit 

Number of open tabs should not effect your keyboard. 

Edited by ravip

Had similar keyboard trouble ( but random letters).

Try plugging in (via usb port) & using another keyboard. If it's ok with 'external' keyboard connected , then problem with your built-in keyboard. 

I now just use external keyboard. Not ideal but ok if at home.

Didn't want to pay for keyboard repair.