The Greatest..

The greatest aye... Many great players.. Roger is certainly in that bunch.. but on record... The Rocket Rod Laver.

Early in the "open era" the Aussies had many excellent players..such as Lew Hoad was another great one.. Of course .. a great player that never won the Big W.. Ken Rosewal..

Bjorn Borg is another player that is in the Greatest.. range.. Those Ws helped.. but his game one not as all around and Laver's..

YES..Laver.. the greatest.. I had the opportunity to see him play...and a during his exhibition days.. able to be on the courtside...

The best W..match.. Arthur Ashe vs Jimmy Connors.... Arthur out smarted the basher..

Back at you.

Edited by Rhys

My tennis viewing history is not as extensive as yours, but I started with the MacEnroe / Connors matches.. By, the way my second favorite player: MacEnroe..

But, I'd be willing to bet that if all the players were competing together in their prime, Roger would still be ranked # 1. Every sport, even golf has evovled a lot in the past 5 - 10 years. Players are always getting stronger, faster, etc..

(this is starting to sound like the Rocky Balboa movie..) :o

When Roger is at his brilliant best, I don't think anyone can compete.

(they don't make kryptonite rackets yet do they?)

I don't even play tennis, but I get lots o' inspiration from his poise, finesse, ability..

Oh, forgot to mention, I'm a fan too.. :D

Hey STEVO... Roger did a good job with Nadal... On Nadal's favorite surface too.. Well done... Since my tennis history is a bit longer than yours...The Aussies.. Especially Laver were extremely versatile on all surfaces..

Also when you talk about who was the greatest tennis player.. we need to talk about the stylist of the game.. Past and present.. Today with different technologies strings and racquet designs the game has change to POWER tennis; a clear advantage for the serve and volleyer..

Roger's strokes are classic... all are efficient and do the job well.. I have only seen him play a few times..yet his playing attitude is what sets him apart.. reminds me a little of Borg.. Just play the ball..

He needs to win all the Grand Slams in one year.. That is the test of greatest... And.. he certainly is the man of this era .. to pull it off.. That would be great..

Cheers...you should get out on the court and swing the racquet about. hit on the wall at least.. this would give you more insight on the game..

ONE.. for you... Who was the greatest female player.... Billie Jean King... All court player..

i find it hard if not impossible to compare players from different eras because the equipement used, the level of fitness of the players and the speed the game is played at, make it impossible to make comparisons.

but anyway i would say Federer and Steffi Graf as the best male and female.

Do agree about comparisions.... It was a different game back in the DAY...YET.. we shall always do this..

That's why Grand Slam wins are important.. it is the equalizer of the eras..based on the competition and technology.

Not being from the Isle.. I do respect the players comming out of down under..

Martina N.. was another classic Serve and Volleyers.. rare in the women's game.. I'd have to rate her highly..

Another one: But based on record of Grand Slam Wins.. The greatest Men's Doubles Team: The Woodies. Woodbridge and Wordeford.. A truly remarkable team..

Cheers.

Edited by Rhys

" (this is starting to sound like the Rocky Balboa movie..) "

Speak of the devil! Federer & Sampras will play an exhibition match in Malaysia later this year!!!

Cannot wait for that ! I may even try to see it in person.. :o

some random thoughts: what ever happend to Petre Corda.. that guy was pretty amazing too... think he retired..

Is it me or does Nadal have a bigger margin for error due to the amount of topspin he puts on the ball.. It seems that way to me.. less net balls this way, no?

Petre Corda was a good player in his day.. some good wins.. on the hard courts. against 2nd level players..He's on the master's tour with Pete.. infact they played; he lost.. but they can still smoke the ball.

Umbre Nadal... A topspinner.. so the lopping stoke rules.. margin of error.. as you know.. timing is everything.. Look at his recovery on stokes especially the forehand...it is all over the place.. of course his pre stroke work is on the bean..

In the end: That is the way he plays.. it is her signature on his stroke... I trust some day. he wins the big W.. cheers..

The best topspin forehand ever.. rated..by the pros themselves a while back.. Tom Okker.. It was classic and a weapon.. and the guy was only 5-6 and 140 pounds..

Edited by Rhys

• 4 weeks later...
A good choice.. Class all the way..

give conners -mccenroe-borg -lendl-becker the same diets rackets trainers coaches and they would all be giving federer a run for his money for sure.

Totally agreed on that, equipment in the present compared to the past is vastly different. It would be great if you could actually come up with a diffinitive answear to this question. In the end, like all of these comparisons it is always based upon opinions and statistics, but we all know that stats in sport aren't always the best indicator.

For me, Connors was a great player and also the fact that he was still competeing at a competative level at the age of 39 playing in 3 decades makes him possibly the greatest. I can't say to much about Laver as I never really saw him play, only on recordings, although his record makes him a stand out player. But, the players that I always enjoyed watching were Becker, Connors and McEnroe = great players and also personalities.

Edited by mrtoad

Well Roger the Doger made it 5 in a row... now he rates in the same rank as Borg..By the way it was a great match..Both had let downs..Too Bad Nadal had his in the fifth set..

So...the money is on Roger now.. he has the opportunities to do it.. However, I don't think he will ever match Laver's triples Grands...

By the way, does anyone know where to buy a FISHER BRAND Tennis racquet? I'll be up in BKK in a month..

Cheers..

Edited by Rhys

Well Roger the Doger made it 5 in a row... now he rates in the same rank as Borg..By the way it was a great match..Both had let downs..Too Bad Nadal had his in the fifth set..

So...the money is on Roger now.. he has the opportunities to do it.. However, I don't think he will ever match Laver's triples Grands...

By the way, does anyone know where to buy a FISHER BRAND Tennis racquet? I'll be up in BKK in a month..

Cheers..

Finally found your post again. There are loads of Fisher tennis rackets at MBK in the Tokyu Department store. The sports department is on either the 3rd or 4th floor. Happened to be at MBK and by coincidence, the only tennis rackets they seem to carry are Fisher's. Best of luck!

They carry a full line of Fischer frames at FBT Sports out on Soi 71 right

across from Ramkhanheng Uni. It is a bit of a ride [from Prakanong BTS a

taxi will be about 60B] out there but they have 7 floors of nothing but

sports, all sports, equipment, clothes, etc.

I doubt the Toyku sports dept is that good but I confess never having

seen it. Sports Dept at Chit Lom Central is quite good but expensive.

FWIW I do think Roger is the greatest of all time given the level of modern

competition with Laver a close 2nd.

Budge, Vines, Kramer, Riggs all played when there were

fewer competitors and it was easy to dominate.

Rod's record of 2 GS's is still formidilble and can not be ignored.

Cheers

They carry a full line of Fischer frames at FBT Sports out on Soi 71 right

across from Ramkhanheng Uni. It is a bit of a ride [from Prakanong BTS a

taxi will be about 60B] out there but they have 7 floors of nothing but

sports, all sports, equipment, clothes, etc.

I doubt the Toyku sports dept is that good but I confess never having

seen it. Sports Dept at Chit Lom Central is quite good but expensive.

FWIW I do think Roger is the greatest of all time given the level of modern

competition with Laver a close 2nd.

Budge, Vines, Kramer, Riggs all played when there were

fewer competitors and it was easy to dominate.

Rod's record of 2 GS's is still formidilble and can not be ignored.

Cheers

The Tokyu Dept store sport department is not huge, however, there is a wide range of Fisher tennis rackets. It is worth checking out.

In regards to Roger, he is definitely the greatest of this period, as Pete Sampras was a few years ago. (And a few years ago, many were saying Pete was the greatest....) However, until he wins a calendar year grand slam, he is not the greatest of all time. At the very least, he needs to win the French at least once. This year was probably his best chance, but going 1 for 17 in break chances doesn't do it.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the efforts....I'll check them out when I'm there.. Cheers.

Hey Rhys,

Just got back from the Thailand Open. They have a big display for Fisher rackets there and lots of alleged discounts. Think you will be the best judge of whether the rackets are actually discounted or not. They also have Wilson, Yonex, Amerisports and a bunch of other concessions. Happy shopping!

• 1 month later...
Speak of the devil! Federer & Sampras will play an exhibition match in Malaysia later this year!!!

Cannot wait for that ! I may even try to see it in person.. :o

Anyone else catch that match between Fed and Sampras the other night? Sampras looked pretty good for a guy coming out of retirement. He still got that serve working!!! Of course, Fed turned it on when he needed to. Sampras was one point away from 5-2 but Fed wouldn't let him have it, won that game and the next 3 to take away the set. Great exhibition! :D

My vote goes unquestionably to Roger Federer..

anyone think different?

Rod Laver - Without Question

Rodney George "Rod" Laver MBE (born August 9, 1938, in Rockhampton, Australia) is a former tennis player from Australia who was the World No. 1 player for up to 7 consecutive years. More famously, he is the only player in tennis history to have twice won all four of tennis' Grand Slam singles titles in the same year—first as an amateur in 1962, and then again as a professional in 1969, and the only male player in the open era to have achieved a calendar Grand Slam. Laver has been rated as the greatest male player of all time by several experts and polls.[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8]

Rod Laver - Without Question

Rodney George "Rod" Laver MBE (born August 9, 1938, in Rockhampton, Australia) is a former tennis player from Australia who was the World No. 1 player for up to 7 consecutive years. More famously, he is the only player in tennis history to have twice won all four of tennis' Grand Slam singles titles in the same year—first as an amateur in 1962, and then again as a professional in 1969, and the only male player in the open era to have achieved a calendar Grand Slam. Laver has been rated as the greatest male player of all time by several experts and polls.[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8]

Yep, I agree that Laver was one of the greatest, if not the greatest. Interestingly, nobody has mentioned Bjorn Borg in this thread. Borg won 11 grand slam titles (6 at Wimbledon, 5 French) and retired at age 26. He played in the Australian Open only once during his career. Borg was a machine and retired at an early age, according to the following link, due to a possible breakdown. He still has a place in history as one of the greats!!! :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjorn_Borg

Edited by mauiguy90

I've had the opportunity to see the Rocket play... at his peak and later in Double Exhibition with... Rosewall... HE was the man.. and I cast my vote.. for his greatest based on his record.

Did not have a chance to check out the Thailand Open... A friend mentioned at FBT next to R University... There are some higher end Fisher frames.. I'll check that out soon, when I get to the Big Mango..

Cheers... Long Live the Rocket.

I've had the opportunity to see the Rocket play... at his peak and later in Double Exhibition with... Rosewall... HE was the man.. and I cast my vote.. for his greatest based on his record.

Did not have a chance to check out the Thailand Open... A friend mentioned at FBT next to R University... There are some higher end Fisher frames.. I'll check that out soon, when I get to the Big Mango..

Cheers... Long Live the Rocket.

Lucky guy! I once had a chance to meet Rosewall, who was playing in a seniors tournament on Maui. Think he was in his late 40's then. Still, even then he had beautiful strokes which were incredibly accurate! Interestingly, wikipedia shows Rosewall as the player with the most major titles(23). Of course, this is during the period when tournaments were classified pro vs. amateur. He certainly deserves consideration as one of the best ever...

Most major singles titles, including major professional titles before the open era

The three professional tournaments (Wembley Pro, French Pro, U.S. Pro) until 1967 are sometimes referred as the professional Grand Slam tournaments by tennis historians as Robert Geist in "DER GRÖSSTE MEISTER Die denkwürdige Karriere des australischen Tennisspielers Kenneth Robert Rosewall" or Raymond Lee in his "Greatest Player of All time: A Statistical Analysis" article [1].

• Australian Championships (excluding professionals): 1953, 1955
    • Australian Open (amateurs and professionals): 1971, 1972
    • French Championships (excluding professionals): 1953
    • French Open (amateurs and professionals): 1968
    • U.S. Championships (excluding professionals): 1956
    • U.S. Open (amateurs and professionals): 1970

[*]Major professional tournaments before the open era began (15 titles)

Rosewall's wins at the Wembley Pro in 1968 and the U.S. Pro in 1971 are not included in the list of his "major" titles because those tournaments were not major events after the start of the open era in April 1968.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_male_players_statistics

Rosewall also had a very good record against Laver, although he was 6-7 years older than Laver.

P.S. Hope you find your Fisher racket! :o

Edited by mauiguy90