Street hawkers risk COVID-19 infection to make a living

webfact

5316234B-FD42-4DC8-8928-184CA9BAEAD4.jpg

Despite the new wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has seen many more cases and deaths than last year, many street hawkers and vendors are still out and about in Bangkok to earn money, even if it means putting themselves at risk of getting infected.

One such hawker told Thai PBS that she still has to sell her traditional Thai dessert, called “Khanom Tom” or coconut balls, to make a living. She said, because of the pandemic, however, she only sells half of the 10 kilograms she used to sell per day.

“My income is much lower than before, because people are too scared to go out. Before the pandemic, I managed to earn 1,000 baht a day. Now I earn only 500. That’s down by half. I’m also scared of being infected, because I’m out on the street, but I have to do it.”

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/street-hawkers-risk-covid-19-infection-to-make-a-living/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

“My income is much lower than before, because people are too scared to go out. Before the pandemic, I managed to earn 1,000 baht a day. Now I earn only 500. That’s down by half. I’m also scared of being infected, because I’m out on the street, but I have to do it.”

Prayut doesn't get to see the real streets or suffering of Thailand... he gets ushered around after the street have been swept clear of obstacles and anything unsightly.