400k baht marriage visa requirement, do the funds need to come from overseas?

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for a while and may be in a pickle.  Would appreciate any advice that you guys have.

My original entry into Thailand was on May 7th on a non-immigrant O type visa.  I recently just got out of the 14 day quarantine, 2 days ago on May 21st. On the 21st, I went to KBANK and opened a brand new account under my name and my wife immediately transferred 401k baht from her account into this new account. Not planning on touching the money in this bank account for the foreseeable future.  By my calculation by the time I can apply for the extension based upon marriage, it will be about 60+14=74 days into my 90 day stay here in Thailand.  Doesn't give me much wiggle room should I miss some requirement, thus why I am currently worried and concerned I may miss something.

My question is will I have any issues when I try to extend this O type visa based on marriage in about 60 days? I heard that I need to have a bank letter stating I have the funds, unsure if the funds MUST be from overseas. 

Any other issues I need to worry about when trying to apply for the O type visa?  

We got married in 2018, but there was no ceremony at the time (so no wedding photos besides us signing the papers at the government office).  Btw we are about the same age (within a year of each other) in our mid 30s not sure if that helps at all.  I heard we may need to show photos to prove that our marriage is real.  I mean we've travelled all around the world together so we have photos in MANY different countries, but no actual wedding photos.

Thanks for your help!

Funds do not need to come from overseas. However, I definitely would not mention that your wife gave you her money to put into your account if your IO starts asking questions. That definitely would not look good on your application IMO. Hope this helps.

Edited by WineOh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WineOh said:

Funds do not need to come from overseas. However, I definitely would not mention that your wife gave you her money to put into your account if your IO starts asking questions. That definitely would not look good on your application IMO. Hope this helps.

Thank you again! Working through this for the first time. Just want to make sure no other snags or "gotchas" as I try to get a 1 year extension.

As for the timing, I should get the bank letter on the 60th day that the funds have been in the account? My concern is that on the 60th day, exactly 15 days after this is when my visa expires.  I heard that I need to apply for this extension based on marriage and leave at least 15 days of time before my visa expires.  Is this a hard set rule?

Also typically, how long does it take for them to approve the extension based on marriage?  Is it the same day? If it helps, I'm applying in Bangkok.

Thanks again!

31 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Traveled all over the world together, yet your wife has to give you 401K?

Doesn't make much sense does it?

In your 30's how do you plan to support your family the next 50 years?

Yeah we've been together for the past 8 years... so we've travelled around a lot.

As for the money, due to the tight timing of when I need to apply, it was the fastest way to get money into the account rather than trying to coordinate a wire from USA.  Typically if I need money, I can withdraw from ATMs with no service charge or foreign currency transaction fee and up to $2k USD per day. But obviously if I did this for the next 6 days, it wouldn't show that the money is coming from overseas, hence the question and the reason why I created this thread.

As for supporting my family for the next 50 years.  I got more than enough money as it is.  I've done very well by investing in USA, basically retired right now.  Wife doesn't want me to spend the money for the elite visa even though I thought it would probably be easier than jumping through all the hoops.

Appreciate the help anyways and any insight you could provide into the process as I am a complete noobie to this.  I've only read through all the issues on this forum of other peoples troubles.  Just trying to wrap my head around it all.

10 minutes ago, califarang said:

As for the timing, I should get the bank letter on the 60th day that the funds have been in the account? My concern is that on the 60th day, exactly 15 days after this is when my visa expires.  I heard that I need to apply for this extension based on marriage and leave at least 15 days of time before my visa expires.  Is this a hard set rule?

Ideally you should get the bank letter the day before you apply, or on the day would be even better. I believe you have a 7 day window in which to apply for your extension once you get your letter. 

I usually apply for my extensions about 3 weeks before my current extension expires. Theoretically, you could apply for your extension on the same day as your current extension expires but this is not advisable.

Leave yourself plenty of time as there may be unforeseen issues that arise.

good luck! 

If the application is accepted and sent for "approval" you will be given a 30 day "under consideration" stamp and you return in 30 days for your extension.

The photos required are NOT of your wedding, they are of the 2 of you together outside your home showing the number etc.

Inside the home inc the bedroom.( 4 pictures usually)

You will also require witnesses if its your 1st application.There will also be a home visit by Immigration Officers.

Your passport, copies of everypage.

2 passport style photos.

Marriage Certificate

Wifes Tabien Baan

Kor ror 2 from Amphur

Bank letter

Bank ATM or passbook on the day showing a deposit or withdrawal.

Home pictures

Witnesses with their ID cards and Tabien Baan.

Originals and photocopies of everything.

The above are the general basics and do vary as with most things in this process by Office.

Others will be along to assist with their experiences.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, califarang said:

As for the timing, I should get the bank letter on the 60th day that the funds have been in the account?

The 400k baht has to be in the bank for 2 months not 60 days. Sixty days is not always 2 months.

The 21st of July will be the day the funds will be in the bank long enough.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 400k baht has to be in the bank for 2 months not 60 days. Sixty days is not always 2 months.

Thank you so much! Your comment saved me a lot of headache.  I had originally put a reminder on the calendar for 60 days on July 20th and now I've adjusted it to July 21st.  Stupid assumption on my part 60 days = 2 months, I'm pretty sure you just saved me a ton of hassle. 

Thank you again for your help!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, califarang said:

As for the timing, I should get the bank letter on the 60th day that the funds have been in the account?

You need to ask the Immigration Office you intend applying to about this - get your wife to do it so there's no language confusion.

As ridiculous as it is, some offices insist on the letter being dated the same day as you apply - it can even depend on the officer that considers your application.  A mate of mine extended his stay every year using a recent bank letter - which was what his office asked for.  Then in around 2015 they sent him away telling him the letter must be dated the day before the application.  Things changed again around 2018 when they stated the letter must be dated the same day.

As you will find over time - there are a basic set of rules but individual offices apply them however they wish.

Edited by KhaoYai

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I was always under the impression that the bank letter had to state the funds came from outside Thailand, re: 400,000. Guess I was wrong. 

17 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

I was always under the impression that the bank letter had to state the funds came from outside Thailand, re: 400,000. Guess I was wrong. 

There no requirement for proof the funds came from abroad for a extension of stay based upon marriage or retirement.

Proof it came from abroad is only needed for non-o visa application based upon retirement at immigration. Not needed for a non-o based upon marriage.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HarshMellow said:

How long after application does the 400k need to remain the the bank?

Some offices want proof the 400k baht is still in the bank when you return on the report back date to get your extension.

After that you can do whatever you want to with the 400k baht.