Low sodium/salt stock flavoring for sick dog not eating after operation

Petekiwi

Hello,

our little old dog had an operation to remove an eyelid a week ago because of a tumor and since she is not eating her biscuits

we have managed to get her to eat some lightly fried chicken, have tried steamed chicken which she has eaten a little

she eats fried more

some canned tuna too but I read even spring water tuna can have too much mercury in it

she doesn’t seem to like canned dog food

also steamed and fried pork but it’s not as easy for her to eat as it’s harder

i would like to get some low sodium stock flavoring so she finds her food irresistible and we can cook it slowly to make it soft and easy to swallow 

she is really fussy and would only eat her biscuits before.

any ideas in phuket where I can get low sodium/low salt stock or online?

I don’t read thai so it’s a struggle to find the ingredients of the stock.

any suggestions of stock or any other ideas for her to eat I would appreciate.

many thanks

Pete

Hi.

We had similar when the cat wouldnt eat after being fixed.

I waz worried wnough to ask for advice on here as well.

We were advised to go back to the vet as an infection could have set in and she was  3 or 4 days without food and as skinny as it gets.

The vet gave us a nutri gel thing and anti biotics. 2 days after injecting the gel into her mouth she was hungry again.

Maybe your little friend needs similar. 

Hope the doggy gets better mate, good luck.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nikmar said:

Hi.

We had similar when the cat wouldnt eat after being fixed.

I waz worried wnough to ask for advice on here as well.

We were advised to go back to the vet as an infection could have set in and she was  3 or 4 days without food and as skinny as it gets.

The vet gave us a nutri gel thing and anti biotics. 2 days after injecting the gel into her mouth she was hungry again.

Maybe your little friend needs similar. 

Hope the doggy gets better mate, good luck.

Thank you. We are going to the doctor tonight ❤️❤️❤️????

• Like 1

I would not worry too much abt the mercury if she likes the tuna... I doubt dogs live long enough for it to matter...

All my dogs have always liked some tuna.. I usually get it packed in oil and pour the oil from the can onto some dry food... funny that they are ok w/dry food but never had a dog here that like canned food?? 

good luck and keep trying... 

I would boil up some chicken bones to make stock, then sieve  & reduce further.

That way you can be sure that the stock has no added salt.

When our 'son' was unwell recently & wouldn't eat, my wife chewed up a little chicken, & hand fed him.

????????

He loved it.

Hope your 'daughter' makes a swift, full recovery.

I have four dogs and have had many before them.  I feed them what is called BARF, which is the abbreviation for Bone and Raw Food.  We never cook their meat, especially chicken and frankly i do not trust tinned meat or biscuits for dogs.  Think of what they eat in the wild and never, ever cook bones as they will splinter and cause internal damage.  All my dogs have lovely coats and are really healthy (and energetic) and love when it's meal time.  i also feed them a small amount of selected fruits such as banana, apple, orange, but no grapes or other fruits which you can read up on the internet.  We give each one a bone to chew on once a week, which strengthens their teeth and of course they love the marrow from the middle.  If you do decide to feed them BARF, do the change over gradually over a week or so.  You will also find that their stool is never ever runny.

Buy some chicken carcasses and make soup.  Cook the bones down for a few hours.  The soup provides protein, collagen, vitamins and minerals and is easily digested. 

Don't give the poor thing artificial junk.

46 minutes ago, connda said:

Buy some chicken carcasses and make soup.  Cook the bones down for a few hours.  The soup provides protein, collagen, vitamins and minerals and is easily digested. 

Don't give the poor thing artificial junk.

so you give cooked bones to a dog ?!

3 hours ago, robertson468 said:

I have four dogs and have had many before them.  I feed them what is called BARF, which is the abbreviation for Bone and Raw Food.  We never cook their meat, especially chicken and frankly i do not trust tinned meat or biscuits for dogs.  Think of what they eat in the wild and never, ever cook bones as they will splinter and cause internal damage.  All my dogs have lovely coats and are really healthy (and energetic) and love when it's meal time.  i also feed them a small amount of selected fruits such as banana, apple, orange, but no grapes or other fruits which you can read up on the internet.  We give each one a bone to chew on once a week, which strengthens their teeth and of course they love the marrow from the middle.  If you do decide to feed them BARF, do the change over gradually over a week or so.  You will also find that their stool is never ever runny.

I think the correct term BARF is, Biologically Appropriate Raw Food and I am 100% in favour of it for dogs of any size. But the OP doesn't have a general problem but a specific one that seems to be arising from a post-operative reaction. Not sure that changing to a new diet at this time is the answer.