Motherboard/Video card/Power source.

sanuk711

Yes as per title I really don't know what is causing the problem. To start the comp up takes 2-3 boot ups, if you leave the comp for more then an hour or so, then it wont respond, its still there, just screen is blank. When you do get it to respond (2-3 boot ups) lots of screen flickering etc before you can get it running , about 5 years old, brought from JB computers.....who now do not have anyone looking at (fixing) comps in this part of Issan.

Is there any way of testing a mother board or Video card to see if its working properly .?

Thanks

Videocard is easiest loaning a videocard from someone else and replacing yours. Power source .. bit harder but still if you can get your hands on one then you could replace it yourself and test. Motherboard.. pff that will be a hard thing to replace and test.

I hated stuff like this as its not an real failure but more a sometimes failure so it takes quite some time to troubleshoot. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sometime said:

When my PC wont boot up its usually the RAM contacts  need cleaning, I use an eraser/rubber

I didn't even consider that................but it also stops when I am not using it.

2 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

This may also be a faulty power supply, most PC repairers should have an atx power supply tester on hand.

The test takes all of 10 minutes.

And then they will tell you 100% that you need a new power supply first!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, KannikaP said:

And then they will tell you 100% that you need a new power supply first!

Ask to watch the test device, it will either have red leds for voltage problems or if it is an LCD model it will display error or voltage low etc

2 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Ask to watch the test device, it will either have red leds for voltage problems or if it is an LCD model it will display error or voltage low etc

Thanks for that...there does seem to be a slight noise coming from the power source....thats why I included it in the options....yes I will stay and watch other wise they just may tell me...yes need new Motherboard.

Just on that how long do motherboards usually last ??

• Haha 1

If you can get the PC up & running eventually, there are diagnostic packages which will tell you the voltages etc, and general state of your PC. Cannot think of at the moment, but somebody will.

5 years old and in Thailand temperatures the PSU is a good bet. 

Mainboards can last many years beyond the usual warranty given (2 years mostly), no moving parts, but as they get older they can be prone to dry solder joints.

I had an old 586 m/b that lasted 10/11 years

13 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

5 years old and in Thailand temperatures the PSU is a good bet. 

Mainboards can last many years beyond the usual warranty given (2 years mostly), no moving parts, but as they get older they can be prone to dry solder joints.

I had an old 586 m/b that lasted 10/11 years

Moving parts in the Power Supply, apart from the fan, which there is on the MoBo & case anyway?

Have a look at this (for a time free) software

EVEREST Ultimate Edition - PC Diagnostics | Lavalys.com

You can run stress tests and you can set what should be stressed. That will help finding the problem.

First thing I would do is look if you have a cooling problem. Are the fans in the PC all running? Is one or more clogged with dirt? Blocked fans don't cool and hot components react the way you describe.

Also check the fans and clogged vents of the power supply.

CPU-Heatsink.jpg

• Like 1

OneMoreFarang's suggestion is a great one.  You got a lot of other suggestions to think about.   And I assume "comp" means PC.

My first reaction is based on the age of the PC.   I assume you have HD(s) and not SSD(s).  If so, and you can get it running, you might try defragging your HD.   Your problem is sort of similar ones I have had in the past and that I cleared up by using CCleaner Free and Advanced System Care Free.   

I don't know what you have done on the PC for the last 5 years, but thinking about all the actions you could have taken (e.g., adding programs, deleting programs, moving files, ad infinitum), you can file fragments all over your HD.

Something to think about.

1 hour ago, cnx1204 said:

OneMoreFarang's suggestion is a great one.  You got a lot of other suggestions to think about.   And I assume "comp" means PC.

My first reaction is based on the age of the PC.   I assume you have HD(s) and not SSD(s).  If so, and you can get it running, you might try defragging your HD.   Your problem is sort of similar ones I have had in the past and that I cleared up by using CCleaner Free and Advanced System Care Free.   

I don't know what you have done on the PC for the last 5 years, but thinking about all the actions you could have taken (e.g., adding programs, deleting programs, moving files, ad infinitum), you can file fragments all over your HD.

Something to think about.

A fragmented hard drive wont cause boot up problems as the OP has. Not sure if you are aware but windows defrags hard drives in the background (once a week), and has done ever since windows vista. The ability to manually defrag a drive has also been built in to windows for many years.

image.png.f1f9d5c4d88087393507361e6802cadb.png

Edited by Peterw42

OP, you mention "screen flickering". This would possibly point to a video card, connection or monitor problem.

Does the computer power on (lights, fan etc) and nothing on the screen. Or when it doesn't boot, the power button does nothing.

If you can maybe clarify if its a power on problem (on/off switch does nothing), a boot up problem (lights , fan etc) but a blank screen.

You mention 2/3 attempts. what are you attempting 2/3 times, the on/off button, or waiting for something to appear on the screen ?

Edited by Peterw42