Motherboard from Aliexpress

keith101

I am looking at buying a new motherboard combo set (used cpu and memory) from Aliexpress next month and just wondering if there would be any duty payable when arriving into Thailand , its just under 8,000 baht so the duty if any should not be to much i am hoping .

Edited by keith101

2 hours ago, fdsa said:

the customs tax here is very random - I've requested to pay tax for $30 item and was not for $500 item, so it's a matter of luck.

I do not recommend to buy a motherboard from aliexpress because its low price will cost you more in long term - when you'll need to repair or replace it. You should better buy a reputable brand from a local shop, or at least from lazada/shopee.

Usually Customs doesn't assess duty on computer parts. You can call and check. I imported a B6000 part last year no problem. Thread here:

You can buy used name brand motherboards on Aliexpress, but they may be a bit out of date, like no USB3. Some of these limitations can be worked around with adapters.

But an old German friend of mine did get a new Huananzhi motherboard w/ all the newer features he wanted for his old CPU. It had lots of good reviews on Aliexpress, and it performed perfectly well. No BIOS updates, but he didn't need any updates, though he found it awfully hard to let go of the idea of updates.

His main issue, perhaps shared by many of our posters, was his bigotry against the Chinese, and so he could just never get over the fact that his computer had a Chinese motherboard. So whenever the least thing went wrong, like his disk crashed or RAM had a fault (always insisted that the cheapest PSU is as good as any) or his Skype icon disappeared, he'd have to blame them d.a.mn Chinese. Nothing he could do! He was screwed.

He finally just couldn't take the stress any longer and bought a used Asus board equivalent to the used Gigabyte board that had previously died on him. Thereafter he enjoyed peace of mind and could have hope of solving the various little problems coming his way. 

• Haha 1

If they want to, they will look up your part on AliExpress and work out the true price.

I got stung bringing in a case the other month. The vendor marked down a false price, customs opened the box and I can only think that they checked the web and got the right price, because I paid exactly what I should have been paid. Still cheaper than a Thai retailer.

Is it really worth the trouble of shipping a mobo and CPU?

5 hours ago, fdsa said:

or at least from lazada/shopee.

Where do you think Lazada gets theirs from , ive looked at them and they come from China because its a subsidiary of Alibaba/Aliexpress . 

55 minutes ago, keith101 said:

Where do you think Lazada gets theirs from , ive looked at them and they come from China because its a subsidiary of Alibaba/Aliexpress . 

I mean to buy from the local sellers - this way you at least have a tiny chance to return the faulty motherboard back for a refund, as shipping would be within Thailand. With Aliexpress the cost of shipping to China is close to the price of the motherboard, as Thai post refuses to ship any electronics and forces to use DHL instead.

The customs guys here are cowboys. If it's addressed to you, then they'll see that you have a foreign name.

As mentioned, it's pure luck. I tried to have a package of used books imported from the UK and they tried to get me to pay more than the books were worth, told them where to stick the books.

But I've have medications go through without issue.

Computer parts are available here at very good prices so I don't know why on Earth you'd bother.

3 hours ago, keith101 said:

Undoubtably they are manufactured in China, but ryzen, gigabyte, asrock, etc all have official distributors and wholesalers here. 
I don’t know if you can copy a board or processor, but the Chinese can clone most things, maybe they come from the same factory using different materials or grade B silicon, who knows.
I have bought some expansion cards from Ali, they are not as complex as motherboard, but they are certainly not original. They are unused, not the second hand items they are labeled as, but they work as they should do ????  

• 3 weeks later...