Does an airport transfer count as 'visiting a red zone'?

I'm struggling to find any official guidance on this.

If I enter the UK via Dubai as my return flights dictate will this count as a red zone? Can both my Thai wife and myself quarantine in our UK home or will they split us up? It is a concern.

Many thanks for your help

There is very clear guidance available here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england

Dubai is in the UAE. The UAE is on the UK red list. If you visit the UAE within 10 days of entering the UK you will have to stay in a hotel quarantine. This includes transiting a flight.

If your wife is not a UK citizen or she does not have residence rights in the UK then she will not be allowed to enter the UK at all if she attempts to transit in Dubai.

• Like 2

Thank you. I had read on this very forum that it didn't count as entering, unless I misread. I just needed to be very clear.

Would a family visa count as 'residency rights'?

Edited by Simon555

21 hours ago, Simon555 said:

Would a family visa count as 'residency rights'?

A pretty grey area, but I suspect not.

The visa itself only allows the holder to travel to the UK, at least in normal times, I'm pretty sure that it's only once the applicant has entered the UK, and collected their biometric residence permit, that they any sort of leave to remain, and so reside, in the UK.

The link helpfully provided by @Upnotover is even more specific, it states that only somebody with ILR has residence rights, it doesn't even mention FLR. 

4 hours ago, Simon555 said:

Thank you very much for your replies. It's now completely obvious to me that we will need new flights, booked at very short notice to make sure we don't get embroiled in some argument at the airport.

Your Emirates' flights will likely now have a 3 year time period (from when purchased) to use, so may not be wasted altogether.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Simon555 said:

Thank you very much for your replies. It's now completely obvious to me that we will need new flights, booked at very short notice to make sure we don't get embroiled in some argument at the airport.

The simple fact is that it would not be an issue. All direct flights to England with Emirates, Etihad and Qatar have been cancelled for sometime now from Doha, Abu Dhabi and Dubai.

Edited by jimn

9 hours ago, Simon555 said:

If you've not booked new flights yet, have a look at Lufthansa: transit Frankfurt (which is still allowed although UK nationals going to Germany now have to quarantine). Fares are reasonable, as are transit times, and Premium Economy gets 2 x 23 kg cases per person. Lufthansa / Swiss / Austrian are in a little group it seems at the moment so there are quite a lot of flight options.