COVID-19: Provisional release on the cards for some inmates in Thailand amid overcrowding

webfact

pri.jpg

Inmates are treated for COVID-19 at the Medical Correctional Hospital on May 8, 2021. (Photo: Department of Corrections, Thailand)

By Pichayada Promchertchoo

BANGKOK: Some inmates in Thailand could soon get a provisional release as the government plans to reduce overcrowding in prisons in its fight against COVID-19.

A new wave of outbreak is sweeping through detention facilities nationwide. More than 100,000 people have been infected in Thailand since April, including some 18,000 prisoners.

The transmission of the virus among inmates has raised concerns over prison capacity. Data from the Corrections Department showed more than 311,000 inmates are incarcerated in 143 correctional facilities nationwide.

Full story: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/thailand-covid19-prison-overcrowding-provisional-release-14878654

CNA.jpg
  • Sad 1

So is this about overcrowding or Covid ? In such a overcrowded confined space how can they possibly keep those with Covid separate from those without while they wait for them to clear some form or quarantine before release  ? Practically impossible I would say in a Thai jail.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

More than 100,000 people have been infected in Thailand since April, including some 18,000 prisoners.

as a result of the English B117 variant.

It really has had a devastating effect on lives and businesses.

Tragic

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Don't put more people in prisons except for extreme cases, e.g. murder, rape etc.
On others put an ankle bracelet for tracking if it's possible. of course some will "modify" these not to work.
Not sure if they have such things as prison farms here, of course it won't help prison infection rates.

7 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Release criminals early into a society that is facing an economic disaster. 

Yep, that'll work Somchai. 

I fully understand your comment, they must seriously reduce the overcrowding, but how to do it safely is the bigger problem, I'm not sure if a safe workable solution can be found, although we do have some pretty intelligent posters here who may have the answer. ????

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

Won't be too long and you'll be able to have a swipe at just about everywhere, India, Brazil, South Africa, then you'll be really happy as you will have someone other than the Brits to vent your spleen on, oh sorry, I forgot where your from and your agenda ????

Well, like yourself I blamed the Chinese for the first wave. Because that is what happened.

Currently 90% of cases in Thailand where I reside is the B117 variant. I am not going to pretend otherwise. I hope the South African and Brazilian strains don't take a hold here. That is the last thing we need. 

Where are you from?