Thailand Should Aim At Bridging Science And Technology Gap

Jai Dee

How much original, or leading edge research goes on in Thailand?

Very little I suspect.

Chiangmai University, where I work, has an Institute for Science Technology Research & Development and I work at one of it's off shoots, Electron and ION Beam technology center. We have literally hundreds of International publications produced and high quality ones at that or else they wouldn't be accepted by leading science publications. I personally have about 25 publications in my name, some of which picked up international interest. Some of our research is definitely 'leading edge'. Anywhere from material modification to genetics research in rice mutation - very broad based. Also fuel cell research, though more for student education/training. Even did research in using Neutron generators to detect explosives in land mines.

One of the purposes of the research we do is to reduce dependency on foreign technology and imports, which to me is a reasonable thing to do. Actually, we are not allowed to do research for the sake of research but has to have a commercial or industrial application, in other words practical research.

The minister talked about Science and Technology,

but now we are talking about HDD manufacturing.

These are not the same.

How much original, or leading edge research goes on in Thailand?

Very little I suspect.

Does Thailand encourage small startup companies to exploit innovative ideas?

Malaysia has the Multimedia Super Corridor project, started 15 years ago to encourage small technology companies.

What does Thailand have?

Yes we did seem to get a bit side tracked there, and you are very much spot on when looking at the HDD sector. Most of what is here in Thailand is manufacturing, while still good for Thailand in that it brings jobs the majority of the R&D involved in that sector certainly takes place outside of Thailand.

The OP has a positive slant only in that someone has accentually been willing to say there is an issue. Not sure how the new constitution might be able to deal with this issue – I can not wait to see the final draft of the new constitution sure does seem to be a lot of talk about the problems it will address.

I also find the talk about RFID tagging a bit disconcerting – especially since the talk focuses on the south – “to provide information about the ID card holder to state officials”.

Chiangmai University, where I work, has an Institute for Science Technology Research & Development and I work at one of it's off shoots, Electron and ION Beam technology center. We have literally hundreds of International publications produced and high quality ones at that or else they wouldn't be accepted by leading science publications. I personally have about 25 publications in my name, some of which picked up international interest. Some of our research is definitely 'leading edge'. Anywhere from material modification to genetics research in rice mutation - very broad based. Also fuel cell research, though more for student education/training. Even did research in using Neutron generators to detect explosives in land mines.

Thanks for that response.

Now you are a farang with papers to your name.

How many Thai's get published?

A friend here in Malaysia oversees PhD students and bemoans the difficulty of getting them

to come up with original ideas for the thesis, not just rehashing old ones.

Is Thailand any better?

Singapore's literacy is 92.5% (as of 2002 as well.) :o

I don't know why you're laughing at Singapore and Malaysia when both are overall far more successful countries than Thailand. Singapore practically IS ASEAN.

Oh Eistein, I wasn't laughing at Singapore and Malaysia. I was laughing at people who tried to up Singapore and Malaysia.

And Astral, usually research papers have at least two names. One is the student's who did the work and the other is his research advisor. I'm sure all those 25publications in Tywais' name have the names of his Thai students as well. That's how it works (in case you don't know.) And yeah they are publications that only have Thai names as well (in case you don't know again.)

He didn't ask, "Do Thai's get published?" He asked, "How many Thai's get published?"

Even though the good Chiang Mai doctor has 25 publications to his name and he's in the thick of it all, I would still assume that there is very little hi-tech research in Thailand. Otherwise, why would they announce that they have to get on the ball in regards to it?

He didn't ask, "Do Thai's get published?" He asked, "How many Thai's get published?"

Even though the good Chiang Mai doctor has 25 publications to his name and he's in the thick of it all, I would still assume that there is very little hi-tech research in Thailand. Otherwise, why would they announce that they have to get on the ball in regards to it?

Last I read (about a couple of months ago), Thailand produces the biggest number of publications per year among ASEAN countries, but is spending only about 0.25% of it's GDP on R&D while Singapore is spending the most (in ASEAN). (Don't remember thenumber) And Malaysia is spending about 0.6% of its GDP on R&D. So yeah, there's still a lot of room to improve in terms of R&D for Thailand.

Again I ask, how does a constitution spawn strides in technology?

I once sat in a meeting with some of Thailand's brightest schollars in heathcare.... there wasn't enough light in the room to count the fingers on my hands. One fellow was discussing his research that he was going to finish in Austrailia. I did not have the heart to tell him that his research topic had been thorughly covered at least 60 years ago. But thinking back, that may be why he was so gun ho on it in the first place.

It would not surprise me to find out Thailand gets more published than say Singapore as the R&D in Thailand is slanted towards government funded/University sector R&D, while the R&D in Singapore is slanted much more towards private sector R&D. Private sector R&D tends to do far less publishing, while in many instances government/University sector R&D thrives as if publishing were actually the basis for the R&D in the first place.

But with regard to the OP I think the real key is the gap inside of Thailand and addressing that gap rather than focusing on any gap between Thailand and the outside world.

I dont get it..

a minister call out for thailand to improve more on R&D.. whats wrong with that?

thailand has great universities and great R&D, and there is allways rooms for more.

why are the negetive remarks?

I once sat in a meeting with some of Thailand's brightest schollars in heathcare.... there wasn't enough light in the room to count the fingers on my hands. One fellow was discussing his research that he was going to finish in Austrailia. I did not have the heart to tell him that his research topic had been thorughly covered at least 60 years ago. But thinking back, that may be why he was so gun ho on it in the first place.

Dakhar, there's always a supervisor or an advisor overseeing research done by a student. I'm pretty sure your friend's Australian advisor must have approved the topic before he started working on it. So I won't be surprised if it was actually more of the case where you (who boasted about the girth on the internet) didn't have a clue what your friend was saying, than your Thai friend did something that had already been covered 60 years ago. It's more lilkely that it was the case of your friend "See Saw Hai Kwai Fang" I think.

:D

PS. If you don't understand what that Thai saying means, you can ask your beautiful white skinned rich Thai wife to translate it for you. (I love to hear more about your Thai wife. Please don't stop talking about her.) :o

PPS. How's your marina project going? I think the BoI's been waiting for your application. :D

Edited by ThaiGoon

Thaksin started a few software parks, not just one corridor, like Malaysia.

They are trying to make do with whatever human resources are available, they also need to concentrate on something they can do well and not spread resources thinly all around, so forget about covering cutting edges for a while.

Dakhar, there's always a supervisor or an advisor overseeing research done by a student. I'm pretty sure your friend's Australian advisor must have approved the topic before he started working on it. So I won't be surprised if it was actually more of the case where you (who boasted about the girth on the internet) didn't have a clue what your friend was saying, than your Thai friend did something that had already been covered 60 years ago. It's more lilkely that it was the case of your friend "See Saw Hai Kwai Fang" I think.

PS. If you don't understand what that Thai saying means, you can ask your beautiful white skinned rich Thai wife to translate it for you. (I love to hear more about your Thai wife. Please don't stop talking about her.) :D

PPS. How's your marina project going? I think the BoI's been waiting for your application. :D

:o:D

Singapore's literacy is 92.5% (as of 2002 as well.) :o

I don't know why you're laughing at Singapore and Malaysia when both are overall far more successful countries than Thailand. Singapore practically IS ASEAN.

Oh Eistein, I wasn't laughing at Singapore and Malaysia. I was laughing at people who tried to up Singapore and Malaysia.

As a rough guide to irony, usage of; please spell your genius of choice's name correctly when trying to belittle anyone else's intellect. Ok, Stephen Hawking? :D

re HDD sector, I use a portable USB HD, bought in UK, the size of a small pack of cigars, as easier to carry than a laptop. The drive failed recently, after less than one year. Yes, HDs fail because they have moving parts but within a year is disappointing - my laptop HD is still going strong after 3 years. Anyway, I opened the case, which said Made in Germany, looked inside and altho some parts made in Korea the actual HDD was... made in Thailand!

As part of Thailand's technology drive they would do well to look at quality control. I will try not to buy another HDD made here.

rych

re science and the constitution, there seem to be many things going into the constitution that could possibly be left out. Seemslike many are eager to include policies in it, rather than it being a set of protocols about who does what.

However, anything that raises the level of education is a good thing. In the US the military and all its agencies fund a lot of basic RnD, often with no immediate military apps. This is because their own research has shown that in order tokeep ahead technologically a country needs a broad population of scientists. These may well go off to work in other sectors, but can be called upon laterif needed.

"The greatest returns come from an investment in knowledge" B Franklin (from memory)

rych

PS. If you don't understand what that Thai saying means, you can ask your beautiful white skinned rich Thai wife to translate it for you. (I love to hear more about your Thai wife. Please don't stop talking about her.) :o

Well college boy, I have done my college, I have the highest degree one can hold in my field.... and your poor compadre has to leave Thailand just to get a masters in my field.... because Thailand does not even have a MS/MA program. So off to Australia he must go, a good choice, because Thailand sure can not provide him with the education. But hey, you have to earn the tittle 3rd world it ain't just given freely.

I am sure you want to hear more about my white skinned rich Thai wife.... skin tone and money seems to impress you. Well here is some more. When I met her in the US, I had no idea she was from a wealthy family, and I had no idea her skin tone was of in demand. Fortunatley those things never mattered to me, she could be poor as a mouse and dark as a raisin and I would not of cared. I was not raised to be concerned of such things.

Like most Americans, and most of the world, I had no idea what Thailand was like, nor did I even no where it was on the globe. I think that still remains the same for much of the world today. I wonder why that is? I mean Thailand is the greatest rice supplier of the world.

In regards to a marina, I located 30 acres of property that was priced at about 30K USD, which I think is a great price, considering the location etc. But due to Thailands love for falangs and the stable govt.... I have to pass. If you could afford it, I say go for it, I'd be grateful to park a boat in your marina and I am sure many others would too.

Well enough of the chat.... got to run.

Singapore's literacy is 92.5% (as of 2002 as well.) :D

As a rough guide to irony, usage of; please spell your genius of choice's name correctly when trying to belittle anyone else's intellect. Ok, Stephen Hawking? :D

Oooooh, I mistyped. That never happened to anyone before. And it can accurately refelct one's intellect. :D

Dakhar, you really can't stop talking about your wife, can you? :D

PS. 30 acres for 30K USD? :o Err, I think some rice field in the middle of nowhere does cost more than that. :bah:

Oooooh, I mistyped. That never happened to anyone before. And it can accurately refelct one's intellect. :D

PS. 30 acres for 30K USD? (if you can mistyped, why can't others?) :o Err, I think some rice field in the middle of nowhere does cost more than that. :bah:

Sorry to get out of topic but ThaiGoon, I know that you're patriotic towards Thailand but those sarcastic remarks that you've made on other posters does not make yourself looked good. Even your own (if you're a Thai) fellow Thais who are in this TV forum may be disgraced by your act.

You are an intelligent person, why not channel your strength into statements that are more convincing to others?

To get back to the topic again, I personally felt that "literacy" is not the main problem in Bridging Science and Technology Gap in Thailand. The main problem is the English language barrier. Most of the Thais are not profieciency enough in English language.

We all known that most (although not all..) of the technological knowledge transfer is via English publications globally. If the basic education on globally used language (English) is not well established in the Thailand's educational system, how is country going to progress rapidly, not only technologically wise but in all directions?

Thaigoon (I assume you're a Thai), if Thailand has majority of the population with English standard like you, it would have been a very different place today. Agree?

I'm not here to fume, but hope to bring peace... :D

...and logical contribution to the forum :D

I don't wanna be rude..but...err..macular, you post is pretty ironic. I agree though that we (Thais) need to teach English to our kids better.

Yes, ThaiGoon...

I know you're intelligent, kind hearted and polite deep inside.

Keep it that way and keep reminding yourself NOT to be rude.

LET OTHERS RESPECT THAIS.

There are a lot of Thais in this forum observing your behavior too!

May Thailand have more well English educated Thais

and well behaved Thai posters.

:o

Singapore's literacy is 92.5% (as of 2002 as well.) :D

PS. 30 acres for 30K USD? :o Err, I think some rice field in the middle of nowhere does cost more than that. :bah:

You asked me too.

Yea, I thought the price was pretty low too.... that is why I thought it would be a good investment for you, college boy. Now go study, so you can maintain your schollarship, otherwise those mean o'l Americans will take it away from you.