4G/5G Hotspot Router?

cyril sneer

I’m not sure of the correct name for these or best option..

Moved into a condo and having to hotspot my phone for both laptop and android box, speeds are fine so looking for similar

Currently pay 200 baht a month for 4G unlimited 10gbps pay as you go

1) is there a better deal (maybe 5G) that might be more suitable as WiFi without having to do from the phone?

2) I’ve seen hotspot routers online and they vary in price greatly, is it a case of pay more and get a better product? 

On 5/28/2021 at 7:33 PM, Bruno123 said:

Many thanks 

How about the SIM card? Should I just order another Truemove one with the same package? 

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

Many thanks 

How about the SIM card? Should I just order another Truemove one with the same package? 

No longer available. It's 300 baht per month or 1900 baht for twelve months.

DTAC same or 1400 for twelve months.

AIS same or 2200 for twelve months. No one here but you will know which network is best in your apartment.

On 5/27/2021 at 2:10 PM, cyril sneer said:

2) I’ve seen hotspot routers online and they vary in price greatly, is it a case of pay more and get a better product? 

A friend in Jomtien opted for a easy portable pocket wifi.

It's an unlocked AIS labeled thing and he got a DTAC SIM with it (200/month for 10 Mbit/s). Bought at TUKCOM.

210311143817.jpg210311143614.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I would recommend to just get a proper wired internet connection, way more reliable than using a mobile connection.

Of course if available. Unfortunately some condo tenants have no good choice.

For my friend 10 Mbit/s is an improvement over his terrible age old ToT ADSL.

Also he does not have a mobile plan on his phone SIM.

So additionally always online.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

A friend in Jomtien opted for a easy portable pocket wifi.

It's an unlocked AIS labeled thing and he got a DTAC SIM with it (200/month for 10 Mbit/s). Bought at TUKCOM.

210311143817.jpg210311143614.jpg

RUIO Growfield D523? Who? Not sure I'd be confident of ongoing support.  

Since it is for a fixed point; it's better to get a proper router.  Better coverage and more function for the same price. 

Plus no swollen battery issues due to leaving it plugged in permanently.

9 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

Many thanks 

In addition; DTAC has three and six month options.

https://www.dtac.co.th/prepaid/products/ready-sim.html

Cheaper via Lazada and Shopee. But of course you need to do a speed test with a DTAC SIM before committing to any longer term package.

20 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

No longer available. It's 300 baht per month or 1900 baht for twelve months.

DTAC same or 1400 for twelve months.

AIS same or 2200 for twelve months. No one here but you will know which network is best in your apartment.

yes i've noticed my current package seems to have changed from 10mbps to 4mbps

thinking about getting this, comes with a 10mbps package, first month paid then 200 baht a month after for a year

https://www.lazada.co.th//products/i2143804778-s7169160754.html?spm=a2o4m.cart.0.0.28e76108ep54ov&urlFlag=true

there must be some hidden codes that can be found to activate these packages

13 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

In addition; DTAC has three and six month options.

https://www.dtac.co.th/prepaid/products/ready-sim.html

Cheaper via Lazada and Shopee. But of course you need to do a speed test with a DTAC SIM before committing to any longer term package.

still a lot more than im paying now for the working hotspot

i would have thought the introduction of 5g would lower the prices for 4g packages

17 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

yes i've noticed my current package seems to have changed from 10mbps to 4mbps

thinking about getting this, comes with a 10mbps package, first month paid then 200 baht a month after for a year

https://www.lazada.co.th//products/i2143804778-s7169160754.html?spm=a2o4m.cart.0.0.28e76108ep54ov&urlFlag=true

there must be some hidden codes that can be found to activate these packages

Think about what you are writing. You are proposing paying around 2250 baht over twelve months, for a package you can buy for 1900 baht.

17 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

still a lot more than im paying now for the working hotspot

i would have thought the introduction of 5g would lower the prices for 4g packages

Nope...your maths is far out. 200 baht per month equals 2400 baht per annum. The price there is 1600 baht/1400 baht via Lazada.

2 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Nope...your maths is far out. 200 baht per month equals 2400 baht per annum. The price there is 1600 baht/1400 baht via Lazada.

what maths?

i'm not looking to pay for a year upfront, and would rather pay a little more for monthly, same as I would for rent

the link I posted included a router (normally 1400-1600 baht) and 200 baht paid for the first month

2 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

what maths?

i'm not looking to pay for a year upfront, and would rather pay a little more for monthly, same as I would for rent

the link I posted included a router (normally 1400-1600 baht) and 200 baht paid for the first month

How would I know? New condo could have a one year contract. ????

6 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

are these sims available instore or online only?

DTAC are just a call away. I imagine at least from DTAC service centres. Have you run a speed test at your place using a standard DTAC SIM? 

Make sure that you can actually achieve 10 Mbps at your place before committing.

Edited by Eindhoven

• 1 year later...

Hi just a report fwiw after getting a TP-LINK MR100 mentioned above (the right solution for sure in our case) today after getting my head round the thread (JiD or Powerbuy Market Village 1590b):   get home to Cha Am/Hua Hin, put my AIS Sim in, it found the internet and great strong signal for streaming which is what we do...but my deal with AIS is a cheapo, they give me a quoted 2Mbps unlimited for 120/month (after seeing me spend nil for years lol), so the idea is get a proper prepaid pkg (or contract...) and it'll be vastly faster...(online speedetest says AIS best option round here and shop guy says same).... in fact we used the LAN out direct to the Android box option from the tp-link instead of the wifi

On 5/27/2021 at 2:10 PM, cyril sneer said:

Currently pay 200 baht a month for 4G unlimited 10gbps pay as you go

Lazada has a one year sim, 1,7770 baht unlimited 15 GB.

Roughly 147 baht a month. 

I use it as a hot spot on an extra phone when traveling or for the kids to play games. 

Screenshot_20230323_225902_Lazada.thumb.jpg.2ec2343123320ef8d12941322484d5e8.jpg

12 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Lazada has a one year sim, 1,7770 baht unlimited 15 GB.

Roughly 147 baht a month. 

I use it as a hot spot on an extra phone when traveling or for the kids to play games. 

Screenshot_20230323_225902_Lazada.thumb.jpg.2ec2343123320ef8d12941322484d5e8.jpg

Why are you quoting a two year old post? That seems a bit ridiculous. 

13 hours ago, JJBloke said:

Hi just a report fwiw after getting a TP-LINK MR100 mentioned above (the right solution for sure in our case) today after getting my head round the thread (JiD or Powerbuy Market Village 1590b):   get home to Cha Am/Hua Hin, put my AIS Sim in, it found the internet and great strong signal for streaming which is what we do...but my deal with AIS is a cheapo, they give me a quoted 2Mbps unlimited for 120/month (after seeing me spend nil for years lol), so the idea is get a proper prepaid pkg (or contract...) and it'll be vastly faster...(online speedetest says AIS best option round here and shop guy says same).... in fact we used the LAN out direct to the Android box option from the tp-link instead of the wifi

Unlimited options from AIS are somewhat trial and error. Officially, they don’t sell unlimited packages anymore. Though you might find an Unlimited 20Mbps (or similar) code that works via a Lazada/Shopee vendor. 

25 minutes ago, NextG said:

Why are you quoting a two year old post? That seems a bit ridiculous. 

Maybe to illustrate that cost-effective, 1-year data SIM packages are (still) available on't internet? Not something new.

Anyway, @JJBloke reactivated this thread by saying he's paying 120/month with an AIS SIM package but wants more speed. You have correctly pointed out that these aren't available in-store but can still be had (for around 1500-1600) baht through the online marketplace. It does look like DTAC still seem to be pushing more than AIS in this regard but maybe it's a "buy now before they're gone" strategy since they eventually will merge fully with True [insert puke emoticon here].

I recall a member on another thread (maybe you?) recommended that anyone interested in a data package for primary home internet should try a short term test of each of the providers offerings and suss out what one delivers the best speed and reliability.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe to illustrate that cost-effective, 1-year data SIM packages are (still) available on't internet? Not something new.

Anyway, @JJBloke reactivated this thread by saying he's paying 120/month with an AIS SIM package but wants more speed. You have correctly pointed out that these aren't available in-store but can still be had (for around 1500-1600) baht through the online marketplace. It does look like DTAC still seem to be pushing more than AIS in this regard but maybe it's a "buy now before they're gone" strategy since they eventually will merge fully with True [insert puke emoticon here].

I recall a member on another thread (maybe you?) recommended that anyone interested in a data package for primary home internet should try a short term test of each of the providers offerings and suss out what one delivers the best speed and reliability.

He asked about AIS, as he regards it to be the best for his location. AIS don’t do unlimited annual packs. They might be lucky in getting an unlimited monthly pack with AIS via USSD.