O Visa, extension of stay.

Good day,

I recently read that the Forum had linked up with Agents to help out getting Visa's, or words to that extent.

I contacted one agent asking about an O visa based on marriage. They came back with 2 scenarios.

A, If I have THB400,000 in my bank account they would help with a 12 month visa at a cost of THB30,000

B, If I did not have THB400,000 in the bank they would help with the 12 month visa at a cost of THB40,000.

Is scenario B legal? Would I/they be breaking the law.

I asked what about happens at the end of the year, regarding money in the bank.

Doesn't seem a good thing to me.

3 minutes ago, fishtank said:

B is illegal. Simple as that

Not sure that's true. Supervisor level officers have the power of discretion...now whether that discretion is exercised only when certain favors might be granted via an agent or not, we can only assume, but the stamps are likely real and certainly thousands have been issued over the years without any adverse consequences. I find the process distasteful and I wish it were stamped out...but there may be loopholes in the rules that allow it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tonray said:

Supervisor level officers have the power of discretion...

That would be very limited. Something such as waving the financial proof requirement would have to be done at a much higher level than a local immigration office. It have to be done at the division level or possibley higher.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That would be very limited. Something such as waving the financial proof requirement would have to be done at a much higher level than a local immigration office. It have to be done at the division level or possibley higher.

Ok..granted...but the stamps clearly are being issued....someone at a higher level is looking the other way at the very least.

21 minutes ago, tonray said:

Ok..granted...but the stamps clearly are being issued....someone at a higher level is looking the other way at the very least.

I think it more a matter of not scrutinizing some of the supporting documents without seeing any originals. 

agent may put the 400k (or 800k for RET Visa) in your bank account for ten minutes each side of midnight to produce a two day Imm. bank statement......then its returned......

agent needs to guarantee and arrange visa issued by your Area Imm. and NOT by different Imm.

because Other Imm. Visa creates an Area Imm. refusal / cancel problem at any 90 day reporting.

3 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

agent may put the 400k (or 800k for RET Visa) in your bank account for ten minutes each side of midnight to produce a two day Imm. bank statement......then its returned......

agent needs to guarantee and arrange visa issued by your Area Imm. and NOT by different Imm.

because Other Imm. Visa creates an Area Imm. refusal / cancel problem at any 90 day reporting.

Ilegal

I apologize if this has been asked thousands of times before. When applying for an extension based on marriage and having had the B400,000 on deposit for 3 months prtor to application day, when passport is stamped "under consideration, please return in 30 days" , can any of the B400,000 be withdrawn or used. 

Thank you.

9 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

When applying for an extension based on marriage and having had the B400,000 on deposit for 3 months prtor to application day, when passport is stamped "under consideration, please return in 30 days" , can any of the B400,000 be withdrawn or used. 

The 400k baht only needs to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

Some offices are wanting to see your updated bank when you return at the end of under consideration period to prove the 400k baht is still in the bank.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

virtue-signalling aside, if you are to stay here long term ,and do not meet the financials, so need an agent, make sure your visa is issued by your Area Imm....once on Area Imm. data base,Visa is secure.

Disagree. Most agent assisted extensions will be obtained in an immigration office not where you live. This is not an issue.

9 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I apologize if this has been asked thousands of times before. When applying for an extension based on marriage and having had the B400,000 on deposit for 3 months prtor to application day, when passport is stamped "under consideration, please return in 30 days" , can any of the B400,000 be withdrawn or used. 

Thank you.

It's 2 months prior. Maintain the 400k in bank during the under consideration period is always advisable.

So effectively 3 months all up.

You can then do what you want with it.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Alphim said:

A, If I have THB400,000 in my bank account they would help with a 12 month visa at a cost of THB30,000

It's an application to extend your permission of stay for 12 months based on marriage to a Thai.

The standard fee, submitting the application yourself is 1,900 baht.

Your application takes 30 days to approve. You'll be given an under consideration stamp initially, then return on the date given to receive the 12 month extension stamp.

If you consider paying another person 28,100 baht to make the 2 trips to Immigration on your behalf, that is your prerogative.

14 hours ago, Alphim said:

B, If I did not have THB400,000 in the bank they would help with the 12 month visa at a cost of THB40,000.

Is scenario B legal? Would I/they be breaking the law.

Of course it's not legal. Your paying to circumvent the law for a fee.

We know it as corruption. They know it as 'gracias' payments.

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you asking about applying for a non-o visa at immigration or a one year extension of stay based upon marriage or both.

If you have the 400k baht in a Thai bank you certainly do not need an agent.

B is a grey area. In my opinion they are not legitimate visa or extension applications.

Thanks for all replies. I will be making an application for a one year extension of stay based on marriage.

I have always go to Thailand on 12 month O visa based on marriage for the allowed 90 days, or the length of time I had available. Now the time has come to make my stay on a more permanent basis. I have never been to Immigration but have heard it can be an 'Experience'. So when I see Thaivisaforum advising they have linked up with an 'Agent' I thought it would save me time and trouble but never realising that these agents were could be breaking the the law or perhaps circumventing it,  same thing. The point I guess is, how can anybody advocate an entity knowing they are possibly "dodgy" and could possibly get the client, me, into trouble.   

Thanks again for all answers and advice.

16 minutes ago, Alphim said:

Thanks for all replies. I will be making an application for a one year extension of stay based on marriage.

I have always go to Thailand on 12 month O visa based on marriage for the allowed 90 days, or the length of time I had available. Now the time has come to make my stay on a more permanent basis. I have never been to Immigration but have heard it can be an 'Experience'. So when I see Thaivisaforum advising they have linked up with an 'Agent' I thought it would save me time and trouble but never realising that these agents were could be breaking the the law or perhaps circumventing it,  same thing. The point I guess is, how can anybody advocate an entity knowing they are possibly "dodgy" and could possibly get the client, me, into trouble.   

Thanks again for all answers and advice.

Don't be overwhelmed.

The process for annual extension based on marriage is not difficult.

If you can afford keeping money in Thai bank account in your name only then extension based on retirement is even more simple.

For either option if the money in bank or monthly income is not an issue. You can do this yourself.

Regarding agents you need be aware of two 'levels' of service. One is where you satisfy all the requirements and simply need an expert to assist you. This is good option for those that just find it daunting or just prefer to have assistance.

The same agents also provide service when you don't/can't satisfy the financials etc.

You can see already by this thread the topic has very divided opinion. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't be overwhelmed.

The process for annual extension based on marriage is not difficult.

If you can afford keeping money in Thai bank account in your name only then extension based on retirement is even more simple.

For either option if the money in bank or monthly income is not an issue. You can do this yourself.

Regarding agents you need be aware of two 'levels' of service. One is where you satisfy all the requirements and simply need an expert to assist you. This is good option for those that just find it daunting or just prefer to have assistance.

The same agents also provide service when you don't/can't satisfy the financials etc.

You can see already by this thread the topic has very divided opinion. 

Thank you, the money will be in the bank it's just that I thought a little help would be good, but not at 30k!! 

16 minutes ago, Alphim said:

Thank you, the money will be in the bank it's just that I thought a little help would be good, but not at 30k!! 

Won't be anything like 30k for what you need and the fact you can satisfy the financials.

30k is to obtain the non O and then extension based on retirement and you not having funds in the bank.

It's not hard to do it yourself.

If you google something like "requirements for extension marriage thaivisa" .....you will find MANY threads explaining the process.

On 5/28/2021 at 11:07 AM, DrJack54 said:

Won't be anything like 30k for what you need and the fact you can satisfy the financials.

30k is to obtain the non O and then extension based on retirement and you not having funds in the bank.

It's not hard to do it yourself.

If you google something like "requirements for extension marriage thaivisa" .....you will find MANY threads explaining the process.

The 30K was what the recommended agents wanted to charge even with sufficient funds in my account, 40K without. Again, many thanks.

59 minutes ago, Alphim said:

The 30K was what the recommended agents wanted to charge even with sufficient funds in my account, 40K without. Again, many thanks.

It really isn't very difficult to submit the application yourself and you'll learn so much more by doing so.

There are those who complain about jumping through hoops, but if your well organised and know what's required it's really quite straightforward.

Sent a PM.

Edited by Tanoshi