Chiang Rai Train Line Construction Begins

I can't respond to this archived topic so I'll start a new one.

I have the plans for the new line on my desk. I'll post the part that goes to the east of CR City, a few kilos to the east of superhighway through the centre of town and skirting the west side of Wiang Chai District, I guess this'll be affecting a lot of people. Work begins next month. . .

traincr.JPG

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

If the Bangkok-Korat high speed line is anything to go by - don't expect to see completion in your lifetime.

I don't think Thailand is the same country it was that resulted in the Hopewell debacle. I've seen a number of Thai transportation mega projects started and completed in my lifetime.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I don't think Thailand is the same country it was that resulted in the Hopewell debacle. I've seen a number of Thai transportation mega projects started and completed in my lifetime.

Granted, there have been some but it just seems crazy to start so many and finish very few - which is what seems to be happening at the moment, outside Bangkok.

The M6 Bangkok-Korat motorway is now close to 2 years past its original completion date and I was surprised to learn via google maps that some sections haven't even been built.  The Bangkok-Korat high speed train will be a real game changer in terms of travel between Thailand's 2 biggest cities but last year it seemed to have more or less ground to a halt - not sure if its back underway yet. It may have been better to build the railway before the motorway - especially with environmental concerns. Used correctly the railway may have made the need for the motorway largely redundant - an upgrade of the existing highway 2 may have sufficed. In any case, the current railway link is a joke - single line between 2 major cities and is the most deserving of a rebuild. A successful rail link would also create a significant reduction in the capital's traffic problems.

Various excuses have been made as to why the rail project came to a halt but reading between the lines of what a friend who's involved told me - the issue is cash.  If the cash isn't available to build that, common sense begs questions of the decisions to start other projects such as the CM one. Still, common sense doesn't seem to be one of the current government's strong points.

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

I used to live in Bangyai (Nothaburi) and they put a sky train there to BKK in my life time in a couple of years actually. So sure its going well in some places. If you look at what they completed in BKK in the years sky train wise its quite impressive. So your right Thailand has changed.

Yes, much like the UK - the capital seems to fair much better in terms of infrastructure projects. Isn't that always the case?

19 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Granted, there have been some but it just seems crazy to start so many and finish very few - which is what seems to be happening at the moment, outside Bangkok.

The M6 Bangkok-Korat motorway is now close to 2 years past its original completion date and I was surprised to learn via google maps that some sections haven't even been built.  The Bangkok-Korat high speed train will be a real game changer in terms of travel between Thailand's 2 biggest cities but last year it seemed to have more or less ground to a halt - not sure if its back underway yet. It may have been better to build the railway before the motorway - especially with environmental concerns. Used correctly the railway may have made the need for the motorway largely redundant - an upgrade of the existing highway 2 may have sufficed. In any case, the current railway link is a joke - single line between 2 major cities and is the most deserving of a rebuild. A successful rail link would also create a significant reduction in the capital's traffic problems.

Various excuses have been made as to why the rail project came to a halt but reading between the lines of what a friend who's involved told me - the issue is cash.  If the cash isn't available to build that, common sense begs questions of the decisions to start other projects such as the CM one. Still, common sense doesn't seem to be one of the current government's strong points.

Some, quite a few actually but all inside BKK and all completed. So inside BKK good track record, not so sure outside.

While the Sky train near Bangyai was build we had a few YEARS of problems but that that normal. I can't really comment on what your saying.

12 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Without wishing to appear supportive of military governance, it's difficult to argue things don't get done now. No one can argue the country's trunk roads aren't in an infinitely superior state in recent years.

We are getting dual carriageway between my village and the local town, 13kms away for the first time since I arrived here 10years ago.

Also on my trip to Pattaya last Christmas there was plenty of the same happening between Nang Rong and Aranya.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My wife, aged 52, tells me that this was talked about when she was at school.  I will believe it when it opens and is operating.  probably as good as the Airport Link.

How will the fare, speed comp with Air Asia  CEI to DMK?

I have lived in Chiang Rai Province for just over 13 years.  I have HEARD about the railway coming to Chiang Rai City for just over 13 years.

Considering the route it must follow to get here; considering the potential benefits of a railway to chiangwat Chiang Rai; I will have to apportion it's likelihood exactly  the same as Thailand sending a cosmonaut to the moon.  Perhaps my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great,  grandchildren.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robin said:

My wife, aged 52, tells me that this was talked about when she was at school.  I will believe it when it opens and is operating.  probably as good as the Airport Link.

How will the fare, speed comp with Air Asia  CEI to DMK?

That's so easy to fix. You put 5000 baht per leg pollution tax on each flight. Don't give government ideas, please.