What does this component do? Yamaha XSR155

MaiDong

I recently had a look around the engine of my Yamaha XSR155 and I noticed what looked like a repair, a shoddy repair at that, but I had a look at an MT-15 in my local area - which uses the same engine - and that too had what looked like a shoddy repair. I also asked a friend in Indonesia if their XSR155 was the same and they confirmed that it was.

I'm a little surprised that a company as large as Yamaha, with such a reputation, could finish a product like this.

Not only did it look like a shoddy repair job, the electrical tape holding this component together simply fell off into my hand when I pulled it gently to inspect it - no force was used to remove this tape.

Can someone tell me what the component is please?

I'm not sure what to do with it, the rubber sheath doesn't even fit the component, and the tape holding the sheath in place wasn't even preventing rain or dirt from entering the ill-fitting sheath.

I posted pics & a description to Yamaha Thailand's facebook page but they promptly removed it, so I tried again and they removed it again, they then messaged me and asked me to contact Yamaha service, which I did, but I still haven't received a reply after a couple of days waiting.

I was thinking of using a heat gun and a large diameter wire connector to try to seal it myself, but I'm not sure why it's up to me, the customer, to fix a Yamaha production issue.

I've included a stock photo from Yamaha, which shows a sort of rubber stopper, which looks appropriate - in complete contrast to the bodge-job they seem to have created in reality.

I understand that my contact with Yamaha Service may come to absolutely nothing, I've come to get used to that kind of dead-end service in these parts, so what are my options? I don't mind finishing it off myself - if I have to - but I don't want a taped-up finger-like thing poking out from my engine, which is what the MT-15 owner has done down the road.

1730349158_Inkedxsr155enginepart_LIa.jpg.ed7a0613f8e8982f8bbf66b6f343b3c1.jpg

20210529_101118a.thumb.jpg.b00a948f2b532727f2a8501ef916486d.jpg

20210529_101256a.thumb.jpg.226a43671848e56f8a8f78bd1a21764f.jpg

20210529_101224a.thumb.jpg.6107437dca3c7e017d7b34115b653f14.jpg

20210529_101111a.thumb.jpg.054681d4043418a26def8e645c54d21c.jpg

7 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Engine temperature switch. For the red lamp in the speedo. It will be fine if you simply leave it be. But sure put some shrink wrap over it if you wish. MT15 has the same.

Not worth getting high blood pressure over.

It would be fine if it didn't look sh8thouse, that's my problem, it LOOKS bad, I like my things looking good.

Do you think I can unplug the sensor? I could then slide the sheath off, plug the sensor back in, then slide the sheath over and try to weather seal it in a more tidy way...

Just now, johng said:

Yes agree engine temp sensor  shrink wrap or self amalgamating tape would do.

Thanks, by 'shrink wrap' do you mean using a heat gun and a large diameter wire connector?

6 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

Thanks, by 'shrink wrap' do you mean using a heat gun and a large diameter wire connector?

Yes shrink wrap (plastic tube) that  contracts when heated  you can use a  heat gun, cigarette lighter,soldering iron etc to shrink it once slid over the wires  which you'll have to cut and resolder to get the shrink wrap on in the first place.

If you want to do it "properly"  then buy a new wiring loom from Yamaha ????   It quite certain that it didn't leave the factory looking like that,  somewhere along the road the wires where cut and taped together again...normally its best to K.I.S.S

if it works leave it alone till it doesn't work.

If it was mine I would remove the connector from the temp sensor.

Remove all that shtty looking elec tape.

Replace the connector, replace the bellows.

Use a length of split loom to protect the wires - wherever they go, and insert the loom into the bellows. Secure with a black zip tie.

Trim the excess - good to go.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes shrink wrap (plastic tube) that  contracts when heated  you can use a  heat gun, cigarette lighter,soldering iron etc to shrink it once slid over the wires  which you'll have to cut and resolder to get the shrink wrap on in the first place.

If you want to do it "properly"  then buy a new wiring loom from Yamaha ????   It quite certain that it didn't leave the factory looking like that,  somewhere along the road the wires where cut and taped together again...normally its best to K.I.S.S

I've checked others, and they are the same, so it seems the few I've checked - one of them in Indonesia - did in fact leave the factory like this.

25 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

If it was mine I would remove the connector from the temp sensor.

Remove all that shtty looking elec tape.

Replace the connector, replace the bellows.

Use a length of split loom to protect the wires - wherever they go, and insert the loom into the bellows. Secure with a black zip tie.

Trim the excess - good to go.

Yes, I think that's what I'll do, fingers crossed it doesn't go +i+s up! And thanks for appreciating that it looks shtty, and not just suggesting that I accept it and forget about it ????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

I've checked others, and they are the same, so it seems the few I've checked - one of them in Indonesia - did in fact leave the factory like this.

I'm very surprised about that !!!

2 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Shrink wrap is the stuff used in the Kitchen.

Ha-ha   I call it cellophane wrap or "cling film"   for the kitchen stuff.

Yes heat shrink is probably the better/proper name.

7 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

As someone suggested, amalgamating tape

That was me,    could do self amalgamating tape without cutting the existing wires then  cover the whole thing with a lengthwise cut bit of wider  black  plastic tube secured with back cable ties.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johng said:

There is a problem with that last sentence of yours. The rider won't know that it's not working until the engine overheats and ceases up!

1 hour ago, johng said:

Ha-ha   I call it cellophane wrap or "cling film"   for the kitchen stuff.

Yes heat shrink is probably the better/proper name.

That was me,    could do self amalgamating tape without cutting the existing wires then  cover the whole thing with a lengthwise cut bit of wider  black  plastic tube secured with back cable ties.

NitPick myself, you're right  "cling film" is the kitchen stuff and "shrink wrap" is the stuff for wrapping pallets and cartons of supermarket food that sometimes takes a thermal lance to open.

As for the op original point,  there are several of those loose end bad connections under the dash and hood (bonnet) of my Toyota truck.

I always though a pretty bad finish to a job but as they are out of sight didn't worry about it.

I can understand the OP that such a poor finish on an open bike where it's visble is really not acceptable.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst I'm waiting for an appointment with a local dealer to inspect & then apparently order a replacement part for my bike, I came across someone in a facebook group who had a similar idea to canthai55, I'm not sure what the white cable is in their hand, and I don't like the direction & length of the split loom tubing, that could be done a little better, the idea is the same, and it's nice to see that others are noticing this, instead of just settling for sloppiness.

I've had a look around for this tubing but all I can get is white or yellow, does anybody know where I can buy it? I've looked on lazada, shopee & ubuy, but it seems it's only available in 100ft lengths, and it'll be coming from China, I don't want to wait that long.

195260291_10215042503734516_3656693429610220937_n.jpg.588886674ab9b6f0bbd32d443b3801ca.jpg

it's just a silly little switch. please try and de-stress????

the boot looks like a sloppy fit

so the elec tape is there to keep it slipping off? yes, it's very micky-mouse. put a cable-tie around boot& cinch it off.  it probably has to be unplugged for small tasks . no danger of shorts or drains

Look for cable spiral wrap.  Done and dusted. All you're really doing is cleaning up the appearance and protecting the wires from abrasion.

You can find it at any car parts or computer mall.  I've also seen it at Amorn Electronics shops.  Comes in many different diameters from Lazada, but make sure you check the "Local" shipment option.  Otherwise, it will come on a slow boat from China.  Sadly, the slow stuff from China is much less expensive (appx 30 baht), but it's cheap either way in the scheme of things-  no more than 200 baht.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/10-spiral-wrapping-bands-i2483344561-s8751473254.html?

You're not going to keep water off the cable even if you shrink tube it or epoxy encapsulate it.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MaiDong said:

I've had a look around for this tubing but all I can get is white or yellow, does anybody know where I can buy it? I've looked on lazada, shopee & ubuy, but it seems it's only available in 100ft lengths, and it'll be coming from China, I don't want to wait that long.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/5-7-10-13-5-i581924899-s1075260711.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.95.7d0e2a65zQodHC&search=1

Edited by Ralf001

38 minutes ago, impulse said:

Look for cable spiral wrap.  Done and dusted. All you're really doing is cleaning up the appearance and protecting the wires from abrasion.

You can find it at any car parts or computer mall.  I've also seen it at Amorn Electronics shops.  Comes in many different diameters from Lazada, but make sure you check the "Local" shipment option.  Otherwise, it will come on a slow boat from China.  Sadly, the slow stuff from China is much less expensive (appx 30 baht), but it's cheap either way in the scheme of things-  no more than 200 baht.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/10-spiral-wrapping-bands-i2483344561-s8751473254.html?

You're not going to keep water off the cable even if you shrink tube it or epoxy encapsulate it.

Thanks for your suggestion. I've used this stuff for my office cables for years, I had thought about it for this cable but decided it would look a bit naff on my bike, so I'll probably go with the split loom instead. Your input is appreciated though ????

I've ordered that split loom from Lazada, but I'm still waiting to hear from Yamaha about when I can visit my local dealer to order the spare part that will fix the ugliness problem. I'll update once sorted.

All done! Yamaha Thailand ended up being completely useless, not only did they direct me to the wrong dealership, but once I'd located the correct dealership myself, it turns out that YT had told the dealership to tape it up again, which I refused. But I did find out that it was fine to unplug the thermo sensor, not that I needed to in the end, as I simply wrapped some 7mm(ID) split loom around the cable, cable-tied it to tidy it up, I then cable-tied the rubber sheath sort-of closed, and voilà!

I went in to the dealership showroom to look at some of the bikes in there and both the owner of the dealership and I had a chuckle about the tape literally hanging off the BRAND NEW models in there, that's just sloppy.

20210628_165139web.thumb.jpg.a6faa4befb99a086c61517ba897e8dc6.jpg

• Like 1

yes that looks very proper & tidy. did anyone ever ascertain the reason for elec tape in 1st instance? or if that's just a temp warning switch or an actual sensor for

a F.I. system ? there must have been a reason for post production patch, albeit sloppy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 10:04 PM, cali4995 said:

yes that looks very proper & tidy. did anyone ever ascertain the reason for elec tape in 1st instance? or if that's just a temp warning switch or an actual sensor for

a F.I. system ? there must have been a reason for post production patch, albeit sloppy

Thanks!

It's an engine sensor - a very permanent and vital component, which in Yamaha's opinion isn't worth covering very well, or finishing tidily.

Never once was there an explanation. Yamaha Thailand continuously gave me incorrect info, albeit in quick email replies with fairly good English, and when I finally made it to the dealership, Yamaha Thailand told the dealer to do the same bodge-job again.

I contacted Yamaha Japan but they had their UK Yam rep contact me, which I thought was a bit sloppy, especially considering the XSR155 isn't even available in the UK.