Have To Do A 90 Day Report-in On The Same Day As Getting Visa Renewal?

I went to pick up my new 1-year marriage visa today (applied a month ago, but went for the stamp today).

When i got my passport back i noticed that there was no new 90 day ticket in there (the piece of paper that tells you when you next to have report in). I figured new visa would reset the reporting (so you go back to report 90 days from when you get the new visa).

But apparently this is not the case, and the 90 days reporting runs independently from the visa application...

So i had to go directly to the reporting desk and report my address despite being issued a new visa that day...

Quite strange.

The only time an extension of stay (TM.7) application counts as a 90 day report is the first time you apply for a one year extension of stay. And it starts on day of application - not approval.

Not totally true lopburi. I have been on a retirement extension to stay (see - no "v" word) for 5 years. I submitted my 90 day report two weeks before my extension to stay expired at Udon Thani immigration office. OK, I thought, that is good for 90 days. Unknown to me, the 90 day report was only valid until my extension expired ( so that made the 90 day report valid for only 14 days). I gained my next one year extension to stay a week later. Ha, I thought, still 83 days before I need to report again. Oh no, the 90 day report expired one week after the extension to stay submission and I have to pay 20,000 baht for late reporting. Is this bureaucracy gone mad - well, at least I am.

OK, my math is rotten. 90 days minus 2 weeks is not 83 but 76 days. But I still returned to the immigration office before the time expired and still had to pay the money. Also, I am still mad (probably in more ways than one).

I renewed my retirement extension at the end of March, here in Bangkok. When I did, the immigration officer reminded me that the 90 day report was due in three weeks. My 90 days did not end, or the reporting period change, when my old extension expired.

Everything I've ever heard is that the 90 day reporting is independent of the visa validity. So, if you leave the country, the 90 day cycle resets upon your return. That may, or may not, coincide with the renewal of the extension of stay.

Sorry but I do not understand your post or math.

1. There is no 20,000 baht fine for late reporting so suspect that should have read 2,000 baht?

2. A 90 day report is valid until the date on your receipt - further extensions of stay do not change that.

3. You were not on a first extension of stay so your extension report did not count as a 90 day address report; and if they said it did you would not have to report until 90 days later so your report from two weeks earlier would not have been late but would have been 2 weeks early.

4. Why would the 90 day report "expire" one week after your application for extension of stay?

If you leave the country even for a short trip, I believe the 90 slip is invalidated. Am wrong about this?

They give you a week either way from what I gather. Mine was due on the 4th but I went on the 15th. I paid 2,000.

I think this ridiculous 90 day registration is a good representation of why Thailand is such a failure. It hassles people who follow the rules and meanwhile lets in any criminal for months on a tourist visa without a problem.

I have worked for the govt for 13 years, have had a visa from the govt for 13 years, have had a work permit from the govt for 13 years, and live in govt housing yet I still have to register every 90 days. Well, I guess it just means that the Thai government really doesn't even trust itself.

Land of Silliness.

If you leave the country no 90 day report is due - once you return on a re-entry permit your next report is due in 90 days from entry. If you arrive on a normal visa entry then no report would be required (as your stay would be limited to 90 days) - only when you are on an extension of stay do you have to do 90 day address reports.

Funny, at my 1 month extension under consideraton for a visa, which was almost exactly 3 months after I entered Thailand. The lady there that did the extension, also did a 90 report for me along with the extension and put the card in my passport. I was surprised and did not realise that it had been done. I then went and filled in the reporting form and took my number and waited.

When they called my number, the lady was very apologetic and said that at my preliminary visa extension they had already done the 90 report for me.

Badbanker