New Message Display Format?

wpcoe

Starting a day or two ago, when I click on a thread topic from the forum list, I no longer get a continuously flowing list of messages in that forum. I simply get the opening post, and a "tree" of replies listed at the bottom.

To read replies, I have to click on each one separately, which totally reloads the page ... a very time-consuming task with the slow ISP connections in Thailand. Trying to read a page with several messages is VERY time consuming via this method.

And, at the bottom of the "tree" there is often a forum member name with no message. What's up with that? In the example attached, Cobra Necktie's name appears at the bottom. Did he reply to the thread?

I double-checked on my "Board Settings" and it is set to show 30 posts per page, and it used to up until a day or two ago.

Please, is there a way to revert to the "old" way I'm used to, i.e. reading a whole page of 30 replies at a time?

post-33251-1179836660_thumb.jpg

Thanks, cdnvic & Bambina! How did that default get changed? I sure didn't touch it!

(FYI, it's "Standard" Display Mode, not "Normal")

Edited by wpcoe

I have decided to abandon ThaiVisa.com except for monitoring replies in this thread I've started. It simply is not possible to use the forums when I can only read the first 3 or 4 messages in a thread. :D

Geez..... nobody told me drama queen tryouts were today. :o

It's not a big deal.... unclench yourself and relax. :D

Edited by cdnvic

I have decided to abandon ThaiVisa.com except for monitoring replies in this thread I've started. It simply is not possible to use the forums when I can only read the first 3 or 4 messages in a thread. :D

Geez..... nobody told me drama queen tryouts were today. :o

It's not a big deal.... unclench yourself and relax. :D

cndvic: Tell you what, go to that upper right-hand Options button and select "outline" and see how pleasant and productive it is to read the forums when you can only read up to the first 3 or 4 posts in each thread. Yep, look at the .jpg in my OP and you'll see that the "tree" list is truncated after the first 3 or 4 posts. Nope, no scroll bar. No way to read any later posts. Practically useless, isn't it? :-)

Ok, to continue my search for the holy grail, how does one *permanently* set the Display Option to "Standard"? :o

It's tedious to have to click to change it on each message thread and wait for it to re-load, but if that's considered an enhancement, I guess I'll comply like a good little Borg. :D

[drama queen mode on]I just realized it's an additional treat to try to find only the new messages in this new & improved "outline" default mode: I'm accustomed to clicking on the "new items" icon at the beginning of a thread title in the forum list and having the thread open in a new tab and automatically displaying the first new (unread) message. With the "outline" mode, I need to click a couple of times to get the old default Standard view, and then it shows page one, message one. I need to scroll down, and sometimes across pages, to find the new messages. Woo hoo! Let's make some more enhancements![/drama queen mode off]

Edited by wpcoe

I think it uses less bandwidth to just list the response headers and not print out the entire conversation. Change this to the default and the people that don't have a problem with it will just keep it that way... and the ones that do can always change it back. hel_l, its what I would do as a system admin.

Well, thanks to the Wizards that pull the levers in the bowels of the ThaiVisa.com forum software, my default view has reverted to "Standard."

I think it uses less bandwidth to just list the response headers and not print out the entire conversation.

Yabut... it takes MORE bandwidth to keep loading a new page to read each individual post in a thread. Not only the .html coding, but the banner ads, and the original post are re-loaded each time: better to load a page with 30 posts once, than to load 30 pages each with two posts (the original and the next on in line), no?

To the scouser: if I understand you correctly, nothing has changed recently in the forum software that affects the default display mode? Totster posted in http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=120789 on May 15, 2007, that "One of the most common support problems at the moment is the different forum display modes." The title of his thread is "Does The Forum Display Look Different.." so methinks something has occurred, maybe not intentionally changed, but "occurred"...

Anyway, all's well that ends well. (And, I hope it has ended!)

This issue comes up regularly. I've had it happen a couple of times, mildly annoying once you know how to fix it.

The question is WHY does it happen, it's not an easy option to change accidentally after all :o